Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times

Advertisements

I am OK with unions. Let workers unite if they choose so. It's their choice.
However, when workers strike and punish the general public (which is not responsible for their working conditions), it seems bad. I worked all my life in private businesses and didn't strike for one day, even when I was unfairly treated.
Why should some folks who are paid with our tax money enjoy conditions than 90% of us don't? And then punish the general public by striking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 05:28 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyanna View Post
I'm a public sector union employee. Never was a union employee before. I used to think that the union actually helped us with salary/benefits. Still undecided on that.

But when you work for a government entity - state or federal, your employer has just about absolute power, with or without the union. There are plenty of things for which a union cannot provide protection. I know this from personal experience.

Government is at its core, corrupt. No union can protect an individual employee from the grips of government's unethical behavior, or its enterprise corruption.

Who polices the state that mistreats employees? Who polices the federal government? Who exactly do they answer to?

The things we read about in the news about ethics, corruption, etc - are just a drop in the bucket. The behaviors of government entities on a daily basis - across the board, are unethical and unscrupulous. Anyone who believes otherwise is a fool.
Your post is basically untrue. The major benefits you get as a public service union member is job security and due process protection. A few years ago, in a NY public service agency, there were layoffs. The only people who lost their jobs were non-union people without civil service protection, because it was easier to fire them. The union contract governs how layoffs are handled, which is usually in reverse seniority order.

If you were targeted unfairly by your boss, the union contract governs due process, in which management must prove that you did something wrong. If you discount this protection, talk to friends who work at companies in which they serve at will to the employer, about how fortunate your protection is. While they can be fired for nearly any reason or no reason, your employer must prove cause. You don't know how good you have it.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Unions: I can def see both sides here.

To be fair: IF most immigration was shut off; wages WOULD go up cause of now low birthrates, China's now making that quite clear in 2016.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We have had decades of government turning their back on illegal immigration to the point that we are full of low skilled workers willing to work for low wages.

Blame government inefficiency, not business.
Government has nothing to do with "business" choosing to hire illegal workers, why are you defending "two wrongs" ????

Old 04-30-2016, 01:55 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
However, when workers strike and punish the general public (which is not responsible for their working conditions), it seems bad. I worked all my life in private businesses and didn't strike for one day, even when I was unfairly treated.
Why should some folks who are paid with our tax money enjoy conditions than 90% of us don't? And then punish the general public by striking?
Entire unions don't go on strike when one individual is treated unfairly. Your association assumes that a cannon is used when a fly swatter is appropriate. Union contracts have remedies written in them to govern acceptable behavior by both sides.

When workers strike they don't get paid. In some states strikes by public workers are illegal.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:32 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't know what others think, I doubt they are thinking along the same lines as you, but I doubt even you would put up with working in a physically intensive job for 14 hours with enough pay to buy several loaves of bread, crappy shoes and low quality clothes while living in a high rise roach motel. This country did not become the great country that it is today on Mexican or Chinese wages, that much I do know

Damn Right

Old 04-30-2016, 03:46 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1
Perhaps you should demand that you enjoy the same benefits others have instead of siding with those that want to deny union members long fought benefits.

When most of the workers in the U.S. were unionized, pensions, medical, dental and drug coverage was common. As union membership declined, employers cut those benefits to sharpen the bottom line. So instead of thinking that someone else has something you do not and advocate taking it away from them, think that this is something you deserve too. Otherwise, we are all in a race to the bottom.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Are you that insecure about your ability that you think that without union support your labor isn't valued?

I am glad that I was instilled with the self confidence of knowing that I don't need someone to negotiate my worth for me.
Have you had any history classes during your school years?

United States History - The Struggles of Labor

Old 04-30-2016, 03:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times
To the OP and others that think unions are like AIDS. Let me enlighten you. If it wasn't for the unions, pre 1980's when unions were A LOT more powerful and influential the middle class would have never strived like it did, (I'm using past tense because since the Regan era the middle class has a begun a slow, painful death which has only been fueled by presidents Bush and Obama),. I live in PA which is an "at-will" state. This means that an employer can terminate an employee at any given time with or without notice and with or without reason. So a company could fire you because they don't like your shirt. Since I am a union member I am NOT an "at-will" employee and in order for me, (and other union members), to get fired an employers must have a VERY valid reason to do so. Should I stay with my current job and in the union when I retire I will receive a pension, (a word you don't very often hear anymore),. I can still put money in a 401K but the pension is a given. The reason why companies are going to 401K's is so that you can give more of your money to the already super wealthy. If your 60 and the market crashes, do you really think you can recoup your loss by 62? Unions also bargain for better health insurance cost. Currently my health insurance does NOT charge extra for spouses and beneficiaries. I pay $100 a month for me and my son, (health, dental, vision),. I know someone that does the same job I do and he pays $150 a week for himself, wife and child, you tell me which is the better deal? I can almost guarantee my deductibles are lower too. Another with unions is that pay is in a contract. There's no worrying about a boss liking or disliking you or kissing someone's ass for a raise. If there is one negative, I wouldn't even say bad thing about unions its that seniority rules. So the senior people get more overtime if they want, have more vacation time, can choose to leave early, but everybody starts at the bottom. Look at most places that are union, they have a very low turnover. To me its worth it to take some sh*t in the beginning, because I know in about 10 years I'll be a lot closer to the top, and you can't beat the retirement and health care cost. Anybody that can get in a union is crazy if they don't

Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Well, the Alpha Male can rest easy knowing that his boss and most other bosses have their own union, working tirelessly to cut wages, rescind safety rules, and in general, working hard to maintain their superior position, specifically, on top of the alpha male. Here's an abbreviated list of a few of those unions, see if your boss isn't listed. This from Wiki's list of American trade associations, better known as---business unions.

Air Conditioning Contractors of America
Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute
Airports Council International
Alabama Broadcasters Association
Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers
Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers
The Aluminum Association
American Advertising Federation
Ad 2
American Animal Hospital Association
American Ambulance Association
American Amusement Machine Association
American Apparel and Footwear Association
American Association of Independent Music
American Association of Advertising Agencies
AABB, formerly the American Association of Blood Banks
American Association of Political Consultants
American Association of Port Authorities
American Association of Professional Landmen
American Bankers Association
American Bar Association
American Bearing Manufacturers Association
American Beverage Association
American Beverage Institute
American Booksellers Association
American Bus Association
American Chemistry Council
American Christmas Tree Association
American Composites Manufacturers Association
American Corn Growers Association
American Council of Life Insurers
American Council for Technology and Industry Advisory Council
American Credit Union Mortgage Association
American Equestrian Trade Association
American Financial Services Association
American Forest & Paper Association
American Frozen Food Institute
American Gas Association
American Gear Manufacturers Association
American Hardware Manufacturers Association (AHMA)
American Herbal Products Association
American Hereford Association
American Home Furnishings Alliance
American Horse Council
American Hospital Association
American Independent Business Alliance
American Institute of Constructors
American Iron and Steel Institute
American Land Title Association
American Marketing Association
American Meat Institute
American Medical Association
American Medical Group Association
American Moving & Storage Association
American Mushroom Institute
American National Standards Institute
American Pet Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies