Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:02 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,658,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And if they do a poor job, they should be fired that day so that someone who will do the job well can step in. They shouldn't be protected by a union simply because they are so greedy that they want more money without actually doing the work to earn it.

Union workers - the epitome of greedy. Valuing extra cash in their pocket over actually working hard enough to prove they are worth the wage.
Yes, of course, that's why the union guys are all billionaires and the business guys are broke, right???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,469,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Are you that insecure about your ability that you think that without union support your labor isn't valued?

I am glad that I was instilled with the self confidence of knowing that I don't need someone to negotiate my worth for me.
I'm a teacher. I'm in a non competitive industry. Schools do not compete for the best teachers. The only way to get a fair wage and good working conditions is to unite.

If you're in a competitive industry you don't need someone negotiating your wage as you have the ability to leave and get a higher wage elsewhere. Teachers can't do that. What's best for a district's bottom line is putting the cheapest teacher they can get in front of the largest classroom they can handle. So yes, my labor would be devalued without a union. Look at what teachers are paid in non union states.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:18 AM

9,316 posts, read 16,624,483 times
I worked for a company that offered the union secretaries to join management. As union members under most recent contract negotiation, their union agreed to pensions increased $22/month which they had to pay into, and 8% raise over 4 years. Basically their representatives were consistently interested in getting bennies up front, without concern for future retirement. ALL union secretaries went over to management except for one. By going into management within two years their pension was a defined benefit i.e. the company paid the entire pension, more sick days and time off, better health benefits and long term disability.

I recently heard on the news that the Carrier plant in IN will be closing and moved to Mexico. Why? It costs $34/hour for workers in IN with benefits, versus $6/hour for workers in Mexico with benefits. Unions are pricing themselves right out of the market.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:23 AM

248 posts, read 171,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You're right...I'm jealous.

Jealous that I can't get paid more than I'm worth and do less work than I'm capable of in a non union job.

Actually, it's a good thing because I value my pride as much as my paycheck.
This is what people that can't get in to a union always say:...:"Jealous that I can't get paid more than I'm worth and do less work than I'm capable of in a non union job."
And this is how they always spin it:...."Actually, it's a good thing because I value my pride as much as my paycheck."

This is textbook thinking of the less fortunate. Do you realize that what you're really saying is:
"I would rather work harder for less."
"I want my boss and the company to make more so please pay me less."
"I don't want to unite with others to become more powerful."
"I hate great health benefits and a retirement plan."
"I don't want my safety to be paramount."

Old 05-01-2016, 10:37 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,947,502 times
Alphamale
Quote:
Are you that insecure about your ability that you think that without union support your labor isn't valued?

I am glad that I was instilled with the self confidence of knowing that I don't need someone to negotiate my worth for me.
Organized Labor = Evil
Organized Business that brought us Trade with slave labor and communist countries is saintly?
Does that sum it up?

Old 05-01-2016, 10:45 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,947,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I recently heard on the news that the Carrier plant in IN will be closing and moved to Mexico. Why? It costs $34/hour for workers in IN with benefits, versus $6/hour for workers in Mexico with benefits. Unions are pricing themselves right out of the market.
Majority of Companies that outsourced to China did so in the late 90's when the economy was fine and profits were high.

Carrier was making a profit here in the states as well.
The problem is not the unions or workers but the shareholders wanting more and more money.

There are people protesting for a $15 minimum wage
We know their limit
What is the shareholder limit?

The workers in carrier were making $34/hour. We know their limit

There is no limit to their greed is the answer when they can sell out their country for more money by utilizing slave labor.

The biggest problem is Corporate Lobbyists own our government and there is no power from labor challenging their authority because they have the deepest pockets.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:35 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,394,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Majority of Companies that outsourced to China did so in the late 90's when the economy was fine and profits were high.

Carrier was making a profit here in the states as well.
The problem is not the unions or workers but the shareholders wanting more and more money.

There are people protesting for a $15 minimum wage
We know their limit

The workers in carrier were making $34/hour. We know their limit

There is no limit to their greed is the answer when they can sell out their country for more money by utilizing slave labor.

The biggest problem is Corporate Lobbyists own our government and there is no power from labor challenging their authority because they have the deepest pockets.
This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is no limit to greed/wealth. It has gotten much worse since the pre-Regan era when there were more regulations and no such thing as a "global economy" or "free-trade" which has crushed the middle class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies