Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
moderators? Hello? We have two conversations here, apparently.

The OP's conversation and some inane exploration of the physics of the snort...
I think we got it sorted out now, so back to the OP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Yes but you started with.....
"Judging by many of the posts in this thread, most people on here could care less about what the black community is doing. Trying to get support for issues like these on this board is pretty pointless. This seems to be more of a place for people who are outside of the African American community to at times discuss their negativity towards it"

When you start with statements like this, you are being confrontational.

Now if you would have started with......"I'd rather see Black Friday go down like....."
You would have gotten an entire different reaction.
But I think you know that.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
It's funny how this boycott falls on the first day of a convention I go to. Tis a good thing I have money. I'ma gonna get me some good swag now.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
i might not even participate. i'll just find another way to support megan williams.
But I don't understand. Why does she need your support, except maybe as a human being who was wronged and could possibly use donations to a scholarship or recovery fund.

Are the perpetrators of the crime NOT being prosecuted? Last I checked they're all being charged with a litany of offenses and will probably go to jail for life.

Is it because there's no "hate crime" being pursued? Does it really matter at this point? I mean, heck, her story got plenty of media attention and debate, so it can't be that... really, I'm at a loss.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown206 View Post
Judging by many of the posts in this thread, most people on here could care less about what the black community is doing. Trying to get support for issues like these on this board is pretty pointless. This seems to be more of a place for people who are outside of the African American community to at times discuss their negativity towards it. With that being said my opinion on "Black Friday" is for the African American Community and anyone else interested to use it as a day to go out of our way to support Black owned businesses. A CNN article on their website today posed an interesting fact on this:

Dr. Claud Anderson, president of the Harvest Institute, a Washington-based think devoted to black empowerment, applauds the idea of "group economics."

Asians, Arabs, Hispanics, Jews and whites in the United States generally spend money among themselves, "bouncing" dollars an average of six to 18 times before the money leaves the communities, he said.

"The black dollar does not bounce, not one time in America," Anderson said. "The only way to eradicate these problems in the black community is to help these people do what everyone else does."

I know that I'll probably get pegged as racist or get accussed of something else ridiculous for posting this, but oh well. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
finally someone who is at least trying to understand my cause.

I kinda had a feeling that this would fall on deaf ears in this forum. but thankfully there someone who knows where i'm coming from.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Judging by many of the posts in this thread, most people on here could care less about what the black community is doing. Trying to get support for issues like these on this board is pretty pointless. This seems to be more of a place for people who are outside of the African American community to at times discuss their negativity towards it. With that being said my opinion on "Black Friday" is for the African American Community and anyone else interested to use it as a day to go out of our way to support Black owned businesses. A CNN article on their website today posed an interesting fact on this:

Dr. Claud Anderson, president of the Harvest Institute, a Washington-based think devoted to black empowerment, applauds the idea of "group economics."

Asians, Arabs, Hispanics, Jews and whites in the United States generally spend money among themselves, "bouncing" dollars an average of six to 18 times before the money leaves the communities, he said.

"The black dollar does not bounce, not one time in America," Anderson said. "The only way to eradicate these problems in the black community is to help these people do what everyone else does."

I know that I'll probably get pegged as racist or get accussed of something else ridiculous for posting this, but oh well. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
I make no judgements about you based on this post, but this day of protest is amorphous at best. The content of your post appears to be about economics and the OP about this protest seems to be about inequality in the justice system, after leaving out a lot of information. It appears that the people planning to protest are not really even sure what each person is really protesting. Is this just a day to go out and protest whatever is making you angry at the time?

As for the idea of group economics, I say do whatever you like. Personally, I do not think that promoting purchasing based on race is good for the country. I also do not think that the reason for what he points out is based on race. I think people spend money in their communities at stores that have what they need and are convenient. Perhaps the focus should be on how to help more people start and operate a successful business rather than promoting economic segregation.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:14 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
you may not all feel me on the following but i'm down for this.

Alanboy395...While it's true that there are many injustices done to people of all races, a national boycott certainly is not called for...I mean, just who is the target of the boycott?...Is it someone at fault for all these injustices?

Plenty of Whites, Asians and Hispanics are victims of injustices...It's not an exclusive problem with African Americans...

How many thousands of crimes per day are committed by African Americans?...Is it in the tens of thousands perhaps?...So, if there are some clear wrongs done to some of them, does this mean that it's a nationwide trend by the police?...I don't think so...It's just some cops acting like idiots. There are plenty of decent cops that put up with a lot of crap from people that they are arresting...Of all races...

And, it's true that even one wrong is a problem, the point is that it is not a unique problem for any one group...

And this nonsense with the Jena 6...It is interesting that the truth is many African Americans in Jena that knew these creeps were happy that they got arrested. They were not angels...(Do a web search on that subject, you will find forums on which African American people in that town posting info about them)

And as far as the Duke students...They certainly deserve $10 Million...'Mooch" Jackson, "Mo Money" Sharpton, the Black "Bulls***" Panthers, and every other phoney group made it a $10 Million issue...Remember?... They would not let these kids get a fair trial...They lynched them in the media...They got plenty of public relations out of it at the time...They were the lynch mob...So, they should be the ones paying the $10 Million...

And, what happened to the piece of crap that started it all...You know...The "Exotic Dancer"...She should have been locked up for life for the damge she did (to the students, and far worse, to the credibility of African Americans)...Could you imagine if a white women did that to a group of African American students....

It's a shame...While it's true that years ago many actions of Whites caused segregation and racial hatred...Today, it's more the actions of the "Professional Victims" African American groups that are causing it themselves...

A vast majority of the African Americans are good, and many great, people...It's just that the "professional victims" business is too attractive to too many others...

I, and I am sure many others that read these forums, have had incidences where we were victimized by police, people of other races, business people, and someone from every other part of our society...There are bad people in the world, from every walk of life...But, we do not condemn the whole group...And, we certainly do not make a national issue of it...

Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM

130 posts, read 147,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I make no judgements about you based on this post, but this day of protest is amorphous at best. The content of your post appears to be about economics and the OP about this protest seems to be about inequality in the justice system, after leaving out a lot of information. It appears that the people planning to protest are not really even sure what each person is really protesting. Is this just a day to go out and protest whatever is making you angry at the time?

As for the idea of group economics, I say do whatever you like. Personally, I do not think that promoting purchasing based on race is good for the country. I also do not think that the reason for what he points out is based on race. I think people spend money in their communities at stores that have what they need and are convenient. Perhaps the focus should be on how to help more people start and operate a successful business rather than promoting economic segregation.

I'm not trying to promote economic segregation, rather I just think that it would be good to try and go out of our way to support Black owned businesses in our community. Instead of going to Applebees go to the local black owned restaurant. This just sounds like a better focus point to me. I know the cause is different than intended but it is still for the betterment of the Black community.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to promote economic segregation, rather I just think that it would be good to try and go out of our way to support Black owned businesses in our community. Instead of going to Applebees go to the local black owned restaurant. This just sounds like a better focus point to me. I know the cause is different than intended but it is still for the betterment of the Black community.
I have no problem with supporting local business. I just see the duty as being on the part of the business not the customer. If I own a business that is not doing well, then it's up to me to figure out why and make my business more attractive instead of blaming the customers for not coming in the door enough.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:03 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Did this boycott happen? Didn't hear squat about it or see any difference in the amount of people out today.

When the he** is Reverend Al gonna get the hip hop artists fired? Damn, with all this protesting and marching, what's a rev to do? BTW, since he is such a man of the cloth why hasn't he protested about the 2 whites who were beat up by a gang of minorities in Howard Beach, NY? He knows the address, he's marched there before. Or is HE the one who is blinded by color?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies