Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,739,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Question for all you conservatives...

Do you also think it's appropriate for a 5 year-old kid to handle dynamite or chainsaws, so long as an adult is supervising?

How about going skydiving, so long as an adult is there in a parachute next to them, telling them when to pull the ripcord?

How about a 5 year-old behind the wheel on the freeway, so long as there is a parent there to tell them when to yield and when to turn?

What about a 55 year-old smoking, drugs, and drinking, so long as an adult is watching?

Or juggling open switchblades while an adult shows the kid how to do it responsibly?

I'm just curious if there is ANY highly dangerous activity at all for which your logic says, "this is not appropriate risk for such an immature kid, even if an adult is present."
As usual, when a liberal has thoroughly lost an argument... he tries to change the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,385,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
He doesn't have to grasp any.

I'm teaching my five-year-old son how to shoot now.

I set up the shooting table and the target. then I sit down next to my son, with the gun in my hands, and lay the gun down on the table pointing at the target. I keep one hand firmly on the gun every second, such that if he tries to handle it or pick it up, it goes nowhere, and remains on the table pointing at the target.

With my free hand I show him how to click the safety on, how to pump it, how to put in the pellet, etc. WHen it's ready, I tell him to click the safety off, while I'm still holding the gun rigidly on the table pointing at the target. Then I show him how to bend down, nestle the stock ito his shoulder, how to sight along the sights, how to aim at the center at the target. THen I show him how to put his hand on the action, how to put the finger on the trigger, how to take a half breath, hold his breath, and squeeze.

After a few shots, I show him how to make the weapon safe, and how he must lay it on the table pointing down range. Then I tell him to get get the target and check how he did, while I sit next to the gun.

He loves it.

Nobody in his right mind ever hands a five-year-old a gun. Instead, they do what I do, or something similar.

All responsible gun owners know this. It's not even a topic worth much discussion since it's so obvious. Only the paranoid gun-haters are the ones running around screaming about how terrible it is to shoot a gun, for children OR adults.
What obsession is there in your mind to require a small child to be introduced to this hobby so early in life?

Of course a little kid will "love it." They will also love it if you let them chuck a live grenade over the fence or light a trashcan on fire.

Why not let your kid grow up and mature a bit more before letting them get into firearms handling? Is there some fear that if your kid isn't firing rounds of ammo RIGHT NOW before he's even in grade school, he will turn into some sort of a gay liberal by age ten?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
As usual, when a liberal has thoroughly lost an argument... he tries to change the subject.
It's the same subject and the EXACT same logic. You just can't face it.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:12 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,016,545 times
I think gun nuts give guns as baby shower gifts.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM

17,617 posts, read 13,429,111 times
Quote:
Why don't you offer a response instead of sidestepping the issue.

The issue at hand is what makes guns (a dangerous object) different than other dangerous objects (dynamite)?

Would you allow your 5 year old around dynamite? Why or why not?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,191,431 times
I think the parents of the 5 year old should lose custody of the child. If they can't supervise young children around loaded fire arms or teach them about not aiming guns at innocent people, they shouldn't be able to raise their children in a household full of loaded guns.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,739,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
(The more these leftist gun-haters lose arguments, the more they seem to revert into spouting utter nonsense like this, attempted mind-reading, etc. Is it simply part of the mental disease that is modern liberalism?)
What obsession is there in your mind

Is there some fear that if your kid isn't firing rounds of ammo RIGHT NOW before he's even in grade school, he will turn into some sort of a gay liberal by age ten?
See?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
They will also love it if you let them chuck a live grenade over the fence or light a trashcan on fire.
See?

These people are SO predictable.

Quote:
Why not let your kid grow up and mature a bit more before letting them get into firearms handling?
Tell you what.

You and your ilk stop filling his ears with your terrified screams and propagandistic declamations of how utterly eeeeevil guns are...

...and I'll refrain from teaching him how to properly and safely use guns, until he asks me to.

Deal?

Until then, perhaps you should just leave your nonsense anti-gun agenda in the shade where it will keep.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,191,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Why don't you offer a response instead of sidestepping the issue.

The issue at hand is what makes guns (a dangerous object) different than other dangerous objects (dynamite)?

Would you allow your 5 year old around dynamite? Why or why not?
What about fireworks? Should a kid play around fireworks likes this kid played around guns?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
See?

See?

These people are SO predictable.

Tell you what.

You and your ilk stop filling his ears with your terrified screams and propagandistic declamations of how utterly eeeeevil guns are...

...and I'll refrain from teaching him how to properly and safely use firearms, until he asks me to.

Deal?

Until then, perhaps you should just leave your nonsense anti-gun agenda in the shade where it will keep.
I'm fine with mature adults responsibly handling firearms.

I'm not fine with toddlers and pre-schoolers being made to handle firearms. They are highly impressionable and have minimal comprehension at such a young are of the risk that comes with operating a firearm; they think it's a fun game. At least let them start to get somewhat close to puberty before doing this. And when adults lead little kids down this path, it's really more about validation of the adult's ego and extremist opinions than about what is best for the child. So adults who do this are not demonstrating good parenting and putting their children and elevated and unnecessary risk. PERIOD.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,020,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
How old should a person be before knowing how to be responsible enough for having a gun?

Read more....
5-year-old boy kills sister with rifle he got as a gift | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
My dad gave me at Marlin M2 .22 for my sixth bday(which I gave to my daughter on her 10th bday)..I had no access to shells by myself until around 11 or so and was hunting squirrels/rabbits/coyotes/coons by that age by myself.. my dad was highly trained with weapons and instilled/imparted that to me so I don't know if I'm your average age to to start kinda guy or not..my oldest is 15 now and although I trust her,she does not have free access to the weapons without me being right there with her and although she is responsible and coyote hunts with me,I personally do not feel good yet with turning her loose with a gun on her own...maybe its a "me" problem though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies