Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times

Advertisements

Obviously, safety and oversight should be a concern. Tons of ways to get hurt. I agree regulations are not needed for everything. Education and skill training seems far more productive to me.
Statistics On Trampoline Injuries | LIVESTRONG.COM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Your deflecting, the parents gave a five year old a loaded gun, yes pools, bicycles and many other things cause injury but iving a 5 year old a loaded gun. Pools, bicycles at least have a sensible use for a 5 year old, guns do not.

Actually, I am not deflecting. The argument put forth was that guns endanger children's lives. They do - as do other activities. That's what I pointed out. I don't need laws to tell me that - it's clear enough already and thus, i don't have to own guns, or pit bulls, or trampolines if I am not willing to expose my kid to those risks.

The parents did NOT give the five-year old a loaded gun. They had the boy's gun in a corner and thought there was no ammunition in the gun. He, apparently, grabbed the gun when the mother went outside, and pulled the trigger. Turns out, the gun was loaded. That's negligence (and stupidity).

Alas, I fully agree that I don't see any reason to put a gun into the hands of a five-year old. I don't, you don't. Thus, we won't find ourselves in this situation.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Sure they do. You don't get arrested for leaving the stove on and your kid burning their hands. You don't get arrested if your kid falls down the stairs because you forgot to lock the baby gate.

Everybody is negligent - that's usually how accidents happen. Just like this one. Negligence is a human condition. The only alternative is to regulate every single parental behavior. Is that what you are suggesting? How would you enforce that?

You can't - you can only "punish" negligence if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong, you have no case.

These parents were negligent (and perhaps a bit stupid for giving a gun to a child). That's all.
Sure you can get arrested for the negligent supervision of your child. If you leave your young child alone in a bathtub and the child drowns - the parents can be arrested and charged.

When negligence causes the death of a child - parents certainly can be charged.

These parents may be charged; time will tell.

But you're right - negligence is usually only punished when something goes wrong; as it did in this case. However, if you leave your baby alone in a car - you can be charged even if the baby found to be healthy and well.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Clearly the parents are at fault.

For not similarly arming the 2-year-old so she could protect herself.

Hey, the only defense against a bad 5-year-old with a gun is a good 2-year-old with a gun!
You've perfectly captured the logical extension of the NRA's 'solution' to reduce gun violence.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Default gun rights vistory

Kentucky can be proud their citizens are making the 2'nd amendment real. They will buy a 5 year old his own weapon. great choices

5-year-old shoots 2-year-old sister in Kentucky with rifle he got as a gift - The Washington Post

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Kentucky can be proud their citizens are making the 2'nd amendment real. They will buy a 5 year old his own weapon. great choices

5-year-old shoots 2-year-old sister in Kentucky with rifle he got as a gift - The Washington Post

What's a "vistory"?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

3rd thread on the subject

Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
And what a vistory it is!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There are over 100 children accidentally shot to death every year, and another 3,000 or so injured.

That's a lot of kids being accidentally injured or killed by guns.
And these deaths, unlike motor vehicle deaths or something like that, are 100 % preventable. Just don't have guns around children.

And a 5-year-old might be able to hold a gun, but fine motor control, not to mention emotional control or common sense is very limited at that age. I wouldn't introduce my child to gourmet cooking and sushi knives at age 5 either, even if he or she could do it under my supervision, it's just not a good idea.

Gun and Shooting Accidents - Accidents and Tragedies
And all most all automobile crashes are preventible. That's why they are now officially called crashes. Most all trauma deaths are preventable.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times
Sorry I was away for a while and missed some of this.

I was picking up my wife and children from the shooting range.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies