Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,058,306 times

Advertisements

I've never understood the thinking of people who complain about political correctness. They will sit there and get upset because they are frustrated that there is too much PC in this country, but when they voice their opinion that goes against the norm, they get upset when they face criticism, and feel they are getting attacked. If you want to voice your opinion about something, that is fine, under the 1st Amendment, you have a right to say how you feel, but that doesn't mean people can't make comments or have an opinion on your comments. If you want to be a bigot, homophobe, etc, that is your choice, but I have a right to call you a racist, an idiot, etc because that is my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM

252 posts, read 262,803 times
There are opinions, and there are obvious wrong and correct answers. Many fail to know the difference.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,453,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
If you want to be a bigot, homophobe, etc, that is your choice, but I have a right to call you a racist, an idiot, etc because that is my opinion.
Generally, I'll agree with you. Strongly agree. However, on web forums, where we are at this moment ... we have no such rights. We're here as guests. The website owners have terms of participation and editorial policy which they will often apply. Including here on C-D.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,855,613 times
The problem often times is with those who want to call people "racist" or a "bigot" when what those people had to say had absolutely nothing to do with either but rather the name caller didn't actually have a valid rebuttal for what was said.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Generally, I'll agree with you. Strongly agree. However, on web forums, where we are at this moment ... we have no such rights. We're here as guests. The website owners have terms of participation and editorial policy which they will often apply. Including here on C-D.
I'm not really talking about C-D, I'm more talking about in the real world.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The problem often times is with those who want to call people "racist" or a "bigot" when what those people had to say had absolutely nothing to do with either but rather the name caller didn't actually have a valid rebuttal for what was said.
We're talking about opinions, if you are against same-sex marriage, that is your opinion. I have a right to call you a bigot, because that is my opinion. Opinions alot of times are grounded in beliefs regardless if facts back them up or not.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
We're talking about opinions, if you are against same-sex marriage, that is your opinion. I have a right to call you a bigot, because that is my opinion. Opinions alot of times are grounded in beliefs regardless if facts back them up or not.
I noted the problem in your argument. Many times people get upset over being called a bigot when what they said was only your opinion of what is bigoted.

So then the opinion goes both ways and you get upset.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I noted the problem in your argument. Many times people get upset over being called a bigot when what they said was only your opinion of what is bigoted.

So then the opinion goes both ways and you get upset.
Maybe I didn't phrase my original post correctly. What i'm trying to figure out is this, if you feel that people should be allowed to express their opinions, why get upset when you are getting attacked?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM

602 posts, read 571,171 times
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe I didn't phrase my original post correctly. What i'm trying to figure out is this, if you feel that people should be allowed to express their opinions, why get upset when you are getting attacked?
Are they not allowed the same in return? Maybe it is you that is getting upset that others simply are not swayed by your argument?

You call people names and then wonder why they attack in return?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies