Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:00 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,941,820 times

Advertisements

It seems that U.S. support for Hugo Chavez is growing, while its support for Bush is dropping like a ton of bricks. A major news network recently reported that numerous American celebrities and non-celebrities alike, are thowing their support behind the Venezulan leader Hugo Chavez. Apparently, his concern for the underclass, Oil to the poor programs, economic policies, and anti-Imperialism/Bush agenda is catching on in the U.S.

Any U.S. President that cannot win the appeal of his own citizens against a small time Third World dictator is really in bad shape.

Agree?

Last edited by dorado0359; 10-31-2007 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
Not from me, I'll take Bush any day over Chavez, who is now in the process of remaking Venezuela's education system (including private ed):

Venezuela's Chavez warns private schools - Focus on Venezuela - MSNBC.com

Old 10-31-2007, 12:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,796,183 times
There are many comparisons between the two men. I believe both had open elections that appeared to be well controlled (by who I don’t know). Both have low polls by the citizens of their countries. Both control the news media and the corporations within the country. Both have their fingers in oil interests. There is only one difference that I am aware of. That is Hugo Chavez offered cheap oil to the US citizens last winter in the northeast for the people who couldn’t effort the costs of that supplied by the major US oil industries. I don’t know if George made that same offer to those in the northeast but I don’t believe he did.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM

13,380 posts, read 28,638,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
It seems that U.S. support for Hugo Chavez is growing, while its support for Bush is dropping like a ton of bricks. A major news network recently reported that numerous American celebrities and non-celebrities alike, are thowing their support behind the Venezulan leader Hugo Chavez. Apparently, his concern for the underclass, Oil to the poor programs, economic policies, and anti-Imperialism/Bush agenda is catching on in the U.S.

Any U.S. President that cannot win the appeal of his own citizens against a small time Third World dictator is really in bad shape.

Agree?
Maybe some of these US supporters of Chavez should try living in Venezula as an underclass citizen....

They would quickly change their tune

Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There are many comparisons between the two men. I believe both had open elections that appeared to be well controlled (by who I don’t know). Both have low polls by the citizens of their countries. Both control the news media and the corporations within the country. Both have their fingers in oil interests. There is only one difference that I am aware of. That is Hugo Chavez offered cheap oil to the US citizens last winter in the northeast for the people who couldn’t effort the costs of that supplied by the major US oil industries. I don’t know if George made that same offer to those in the northeast but I don’t believe he did.
You are correct. Bush did not offer any such programs or assistance to American citizens, particularly the elderly and those on fixed incomes. At the time, he was to busy overthrowing other governments and giving nationally televised White House addresses to lie and justify his pathetic personal war.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Maybe some of these US supporters of Chavez should try living in Venezula as an underclass citizen....

They would quickly change their tune
Hey; don't tell it to me, tell it to the networks...they reported it.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:10 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,299,968 times
They are both pretty bad... I would say chavez might be the lesser of two evils. He atleast acts like he's out for the good of the people.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Hey; don't tell it to me, tell it to the networks...they reported it.
I don't care for Bush nor did I care for his father. I think he has done great harm that will take decades to undo, that said anyone who is buying into Chavez's BS needs a check up from the neck up.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
They are both pretty bad... I would say chavez might be the lesser of two evils. He atleast acts like he's out for the good of the people.

Act being the important word there

Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 PM

14,989 posts, read 23,799,586 times
I'm not THAT suprised given that I think polls at any number of times have stated that 40% of the people think humans never landed on the moon, 25% think Elvis is still alive, 50% believe in bigfoot (OK Im pulling those number out of my hat, but you get the point).

Lots of these poll are based on the method of questioning, I would like to see a link to the news source. Undoubtedly, the "lessor of two evils" wouldn't be a person that has closed down the free press in his nation, stolen (oh, we mean "nationalized") private business assets, and that is an ally of president that advocates wiping out the state of Israel and denies the holocaust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies