Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,739,995 times

Advertisements

A senior at Princeton High School near Raleigh, NC has been permanently expelled from school.

His crime: He went skeet shooting the day before with some friends, safely unloaded and locked up his shotgun in his truck afterward, and then forgot it was there the next day when he drove to school.

Then he made his BIG mistake. Upon remembering the gun was in his (locked) truck, he knew he couldn't legally leave the school to drive it home and come back. So he quietly called his mother and asked her to come and pick it up.

The mistake? His call was overheard by some zero-tolerance fanatic at the school.

Question: Who did the wrong thing? And who broke the law?

BTW, as a result of this incident, this Eagle Scout has also been charged with a felony.

---------------------------------------------

Honors Student & Eagle Scout Charged with Felony and Expelled After Accidentally Leaving Shotgun in Truck

Honors Student & Eagle Scout Charged with Felony and Expelled After Accidentally Leaving Shotgun in Truck

May 1 2013

According to Todd Starnes of Fox News, Cole Withrow, an Eagle Scout, honors student, and active church member has had his life turned upside down.

The trouble began when Withrow discovered he had accidentally left his shotgun in his truck once he arrived at school. He had been skeet shooting with some friends the day before.

Withrow tried to immediately call his mother to come and pick up the firearm, but he was overheard by a school official.

Withrow told officials the truth about what happened. Then he was arrested and immediately and permanently expelled from school.

According to Fox News,
“He didn’t know what to do,” Boykin, whose son is friends with Withrow, told Fox News. “If you jump in the truck and leave, then they get you for skipping school. Once you are there you have to say.

“I think it’s an injustice for this young man,” she added. “He’s a good guy. He’s loved by his classmates and his teachers. You don’t become an Eagle Scout by being a bad seed.”

Link to full article on Fox News: Eagle Scout Facing Expulsion over Gun Charge | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM

BTW, guess what his school Senior Project was on?

Gun Safety.

The paranoid gun-haters have so twisted and warped our laws, that one of the best kids in the school, who treated his gun with perfect safety and secured it from any possible interlopers, has been expelled from school and charged with a felony.

It's clear to me who committed a crime here: The people who made the laws to cause him to be punished this way.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,108,563 times
They should have allowed him to have his parent come and get the gun.

That being said, there are rules, those rules apply to every student, he broke the rules.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,407,113 times
I think he just earned his Stupid Badge.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think he just earned his Stupid Badge.
Yep, no doubt.

But my questions remain unanswered: Who did the wrong thing? And who broke the law?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,373,123 times
He was wrong - period. My son must obey school rules on school property - what makes you think this young man should not?

Should he be granted special privilege because he is an Eagle Scout? I don't think so.

The school faces HUGE liability if they allowed this to happen and someone got hurt. If you make an allowance for one; then you will have to make an allowance for 1500, depending on the size of the school.

That being said - I certainly hope he is allowed to graduate. School is almost over for most Seniors anyway.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,395,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Yep, no doubt.

But my questions remain unanswered: Who did the wrong thing? And who broke the law?
He alone did wrong and he alone broke the law. It's very simple.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,220,375 times
Expulsion and felony charges sound good to me.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM

44,982 posts, read 26,132,413 times
No guns allowed in the government protected kill zones

Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 PM

252 posts, read 262,840 times
He brought a gun to school, he did not forget, he thought he wouldn't get caught. You are telling me he doesn't know where his guns are and in what state of readiness at all times? Dangerous. It is a good lesson for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies