U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,946,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I know, eh? Did he mention we smoke a lot of pot up here?
I'll be right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Never heard of this, explain.

Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada

Lacking a national health care system of their own, thousands of Americans are tapping into Canada's -- illegally.
"It's not an epidemic in any one person's practice," said Keith MacLeod, an obstetrician in Windsor, Ontario, across from Detroit, "but I would estimate that from 12 to 20 of my patients at any one time are ineligible Americans. And I'm just one of 520 doctors in Windsor, 23,000 in Ontario."
Dr. MacLeod, former president of the Essex County Medical Society, delivers about 400 babies a year.
A report prepared for Ontario's Health Minister indicated that from August 1992 to February 1993, 60,000 medical claims had been made on behalf of patients who held American drivers' licenses. The total number of improper claims in Ontario was estimated at 600,000.
Only legal residents qualify for free medical care in Canada, using plastic health cards for identification. Others are supposed to pay for medical services they may require, but many are submitting counterfeit, borrowed or fraudulently obtained cards.
Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada - New York Times

Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Duh; your fact was one tenth of one percent are going south for American style treatment while fully 600,000 fraudulent claims were submitted by U.S. citizens within Canada in ONE 6 month period in ONE Province alone so I see your teeny insignificant fact and raise you a HUGE freeloading, talking out of both sides of your mouth, fraudulent fact. If you would but google you'd find Americans are flying all over the place like to Taiwan for instance to have their knees replaced. Just google medical tourism by Americans and read for your edification.

It's back to you now to either bump or fold!

Back on topic.

Nope I do not feel less free.

We don't have freedom abrogating laws which can see your azz thrown in jail indefinitely without being charged with anything if your neighbour reports you as a terrorist using some stupid piece of legislation called a Patriot Act; as if anything could have been more eloquently misnamed.

Our traffic is not subject to unwarranted stop and search by the TSA on major highways either, oh and we don't have drones flying overhead snooping into our back yards.

We are free to move about without fear of getting shot by a five year old who was given a rifle on his fourth birthday.

I can also buy a super large size soda drink, but I never have, because I have that freedom of choice.
Yes, the Patriot act needs to be revoked, we have offered up to many freedoms for so called safety and security. I think it was a knee jerk reaction to 911. It gives the government to much power, and it is a fear of mine that people will begin to be arrested on trumped up terrorist charges on the whim of some nutty politician or FBI agent. Just don't let it happen in Canada!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,018,265 times
Quote:
I'll be right there.
I'll start rolling up a fattie.
Would you prefer grass or sticky black Nepalese hash?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
With that "nanny state" comes MORE freedoms. Canadians are free from not going bankrupt from medical debt because they lack insurance. They are free from being destitute because they lost their job.

In America, we have the illusion of freedom while we are really less free from pitfalls of society.
You have the choice to select which ever medical insurance you want and compared to the taxes in Canada to pay for their medical, it probably works out to about the same amount of money. I pay about $100 a month through my retirement plan for medical and dental and am completely satisfied. The poor in the U.S. can be covered by Medicare if they wish, and you cannot, by law, be refused treatment at any hospital in the U.S. If the indigent and homeless refuse to get medical insurance or Medicare, what can be done, you cannot force them.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:18 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,670,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why would a "right winger" even want to deny it? It's the "left wingers" who hate the truth.
What truth? On this thread, conservatives are saying Canada is less free. A right wing source says it is more free. The conservatives on this thread are still saying it is less free. Who is denying what, here?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM

18,279 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Accusing someone of supporting the KKK is quite hateful. Especially when you know nothing about them.

For heaven's sake Roadking where in the gosh darn post did you see me saying anyone supported the KKK.

I was saying or attempting to say, that was one hate organization that flourished for years (someone must have supported them at one time, they figure quite prominently in your history, do they not?) and Canadians avowed to prevent such a thing from happening here. Mayhaps you're being just a little thin skinned there.

In reference to your post number #240 where you responded to a poster's opinion of saying what we like without government detention; I'm assuming you're using our Hate Speech law as a bench mark for your rebuttal and here's some info you might find useful.:

Ernst Zündel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your scroll down "Trials of 1980's" you'll find that the supreme court of Canada declared his conviction was contrary to our Charter of Rights and Freedoms so it would seem we're good to go. Oh, and by the way, it was the U.S. who arrested this guy for preaching falsehoods so as to incite hatred upon an identifiable entity and deported him to Canada.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,164,693 times
Quote:
I'm coming to your place for pot and poutines, weltz.

Maybe Ghostrider can pick me up on his way up north. lol

This has actually been a pretty productive thread. Good read.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:28 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Quote:
I'll be right there.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm coming to your place for pot and poutines, weltz.

Maybe Ghostrider can pick me up on his way up north. lol

This has actually been a pretty productive thread. Good read.

Ahhhh i remember when i was 16.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,164,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ahhhh i remember when i was 16.
I don't.

I was just kidding. I don't really burn much at all anymore. Maybe at a party or something.

The thought of getting high and eating a poutine in Montreal just seems pretty tempting. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or