Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
go up against a tree at 2 am in the morning
???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
I pm'd you

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
???

Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I find Canadians and Europeans are typically more accepting of diversity a.
I think you would be totally and absolutely wrong. They are more accepting of diversity as long as it meets their approval.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,472,970 times
Canada is less stupid. My relatives who live there seem as free as anyone I know. Stephen Harper is working as hard as he can to close the stupidity gap.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Lol seriously who cares. Go to Queens Park - the park grounds of the Provincial legislature for Ontario and go up against a tree at 2 am in the morning and then we'll talk about freedom!

We tend to pick matters that are important and force our government to follow through with progress...often times getting big bang for our buck - social matters are one of those areas hence we are a socially progressive country not bogged down in endless discussion.. moving along...

Once again, only if it's something you agree with.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Kinda thought that was one of the basic principles of a democracy.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM

5 posts, read 8,601 times
Default The American Dream is alive and well, what is the Canadian dream?

Hi,
As a Canadian I feel that there are more opportunities available in the U.S. because of free market and deregulation of Businesses, entrepreneurship. America is David and the recession is Goliath So far experts predict that America is open for investment and the place to put your money is the United States , especially investing in small community banks is the way to go. I see Americans experiencing the No is not an option and anything is possible attitude whereas Canadians are overly regulated and stunted in their growth and potential. America is open for business and the individual is reinforced by a culture of freedom of choice to pursue their dreams. I n Canada I feel that I am not only responsible for myself but everyone else too. What benefits me must benefit many more and it is an atmosphere of a collective rather opportunity for the one that works the hardest.I would say this quality of togetherness's wrapped up in a warm and comfy blanket that is supposed to sustain us as Canadians through tough winters , world recessions and any problems that we have faced together as a country. This is what I love about Canada, but it can be better. We need a government that is motivated to demand the best out of its citizens and that is willing to set its bickering and over regulating everything we do . Another important aspect I have noticed is that racism is talked about all the time in the United States but in Canada people pretend it does not exist. In the U.S. you will notice racist attitudes being confronted and discussed as a legacy of Slavery. The notion of Slavery existed and was abolished and it is a part of American history and the fabric of the society as well. That's why we see see that even with a legacy of racism, you will find minorities in every level of society.I don't believe this is the same for Canada. In Canada we never had the chance to confront racism against minorities because we did not have a similar history,therefore it is seen as a non-issue due to multiculturalism. multicultural and racism exist hand in hand in the same society , but one notion is favored over the the other. If we don't deal with racism and inequality in the private and public sector , then just as the majority flourishes together , a society that turns a blind eye fails to include all of its citizens in a level and equal playing field.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoxy View Post
Hi,
As a Canadian I feel that there are more opportunities available in the U.S. because of free market and deregulation of Businesses, entrepreneurship. America is David and the recession is Goliath So far experts predict that America is open for investment and the place to put your money is the United States , especially investing in small community banks is the way to go. I see Americans experiencing the No is not an option and anything is possible attitude whereas Canadians are overly regulated and stunted in their growth and potential. America is open for business and the individual is reinforced by a culture of freedom of choice to pursue their dreams. I n Canada I feel that I am not only responsible for myself but everyone else too. What benefits me must benefit many more and it is an atmosphere of a collective rather opportunity for the one that works the hardest.I would say this quality of togetherness's wrapped up in a warm and comfy blanket that is supposed to sustain us as Canadians through tough winters , world recessions and any problems that we have faced together as a country. This is what I love about Canada, but it can be better. We need a government that is motivated to demand the best out of its citizens and that is willing to set its bickering and over regulating everything we do . Another important aspect I have noticed is that racism is talked about all the time in the United States but in Canada people pretend it does not exist. In the U.S. you will notice racist attitudes being confronted and discussed as a legacy of Slavery. The notion of Slavery existed and was abolished and it is a part of American history and the fabric of the society as well. That's why we see see that even with a legacy of racism, you will find minorities in every level of society.I don't believe this is the same for Canada. In Canada we never had the chance to confront racism against minorities because we did not have a similar history,therefore it is seen as a non-issue due to multiculturalism. multicultural and racism exist hand in hand in the same society , but one notion is favored over the the other. If we don't deal with racism and inequality in the private and public sector , then just as the majority flourishes together , a society that turns a blind eye fails to include all of its citizens in a level and equal playing field.
Yes, racism has been alive and well for at least a couple of centuries. Just ask the French Canadians. Isn't that what was driving efforts for Quebec to secede?

Almost half of Canadians feel racism on the rise

Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Yes, racism has been alive and well for at least a couple of centuries. Just ask the French Canadians. Isn't that what was driving efforts for Quebec to secede?

Almost half of Canadians feel racism on the rise
You didn't even read your own link did you?

Racism is and has been perceived to be practiced more by Quebec and you will note my use of the word perceived. I'm not stating that it is or has been determined as factual. A rather stupid man by the name of Parizeau entrenched that incorrect image in the optics of ALL citizens of Canada after a failed referendum on the subject with one retarded comment repeated ad-nauseum by the rabid press.

Now we have your mistaken impression from mis-reading, or not reading at all, that Quebec's desire to "secede" was in any way linked to racism, real or imagined.

Having performed even a cursory search for information regarding Quebec's desire for autonomy would have shown you racism played no part at all.

Now as to the history of racism in Canada and it's existence today; yep, we have had racism, yep, we have racism, yep, we think racism is on the rise.

Next?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:
Why do you say that, Roadking?

I think you're confusing freedom with some perceived "right" that your "freedom" should include denying others their freedom.

For example, you can be personally prejudiced against a group (thoughts are your own, of course), but exercising your prejudice so that it takes away the freedom of the group in question, has nothing to do with freedom. You can have the freedom to hate (let's say for the sake of argument) Romanians, but you cannot have the "freedom" to refuse to serve them in a public place as that would deny their freedom. So you cannot have a "freedom" to hurt others.

There's a difference between an internal feeling of prejudice, and a country's laws permitting it to be practiced through discrimination. No, you may not have the "freedom" of denying others their freedom, as that would be a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies