U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I have nothing against Canada. In many ways I admire the good thing about it. It just isn't much of a player on the world scene.

We are the world's policemen, and have since WWI and WWII, because if we don't do it, somebody you won't like at all, like a Putin, WILL do it, and it won't be pleasant.

The best thing to come from Canada, IMHO, is Red Green and the Possum Lodge. That is some seriously-funny stuff - eh!!!!!

I may tweak Canadians a little in a light-hearted way, but I am glad they are there keeping the mosquitos well-fed!!!!

Well there ya go! Something we're good for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 PM

3,742 posts, read 2,591,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well there ya go! Something we're good for.
Canada is fine. It's the mosquitos that suck. And remember keep your stick on the ice. Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati!!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Canada is fine. It's the mosquitos that suck. And remember keep your stick on the ice. Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati!!!!
That was cute what you did there, but here; let me help you out a bit with your Latin:

C*m omnibus cecisdisti, concidisse simula.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
That was cute what you did there, but here; let me help you out a bit with your Latin:

C*m onibus cecisdisti, concidisse simula.
My quote is the motto of the Possum Lodge of the Red Green show and it is Faux Latin. It "means" When all else fails, play dead".

Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
My quote is the motto of the Possum Lodge of the Red Green show and it is Faux Latin. It "means" When all else fails, play dead".
Uuuh yup; I know what it is and where it comes from and my offering was the real Latin equivilant.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Canadians are used to high taxes, over regulation and living in a nanny state.

A lot of what they have in place would never work in the US.
Given the current circumstances occupying your news these days, one would be very hard pressed not to agree with you: a lot of what Canada has in place would never work in the U.S. You're not quite ready for common sense and fair play. Maybe another hundred years or so.

Freedom to be a member of whatever political party you wish without making yourself a target of any number of government run agencies or leading politicos that are supposed to be at arm's length.

That little conundrum dates back at the very least to McCarthyism. Now the IRS.

Freedom as a witness to state the truth about a public tragedy without fear of Government Prosecution? We've witnessed this happen any number of times from Kennedy assassination, Water-Gate, Whitewater and now Benghazi.

You folks sure talk a good game though.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Uuuh yup; I know what it is and where it comes from and my offering was the real Latin equivilant.
Oh, well thank you for that. I've been watching old Smith and Smith show video's. Seems like Mr. Smith is a Canadia comedic institution, and I loved the songs he and he wife (the one with a funny name I can't remember) sang. Multi-talented pair. Great Stuff - keep your stick on the ice (I assume that means hockey stick).

Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Oh, well thank you for that. I've been watching old Smith and Smith show video's. Seems like Mr. Smith is a Canadia comedic institution, and I loved the songs he and he wife (the one with a funny name I can't remember) sang. Multi-talented pair. Great Stuff - keep your stick on the ice (I assume that means hockey stick).
Well yes Robin since you're showing an interest, it does indeed mean keep your hockey stick on the ice as the old-time coaches used to teach "you can neither control a puck or stop one if your stick is in the air".

Those days were supplanted with hockey of a different sort leading up to coaches like Cherry who liked the more physical interaction which encourages "high sticking" rather than penalizes it.

Watching inherently fast paced, rough and tumble games like Lacrosse, Hockey, and Australian rules football should be on everyone's list of sports worth watching. Never a ho-hum moment.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Well yes Robin since you're showing an interest, it does indeed mean keep your hockey stick on the ice as the old-time coaches used to teach "you can neither control a puck or stop one if your stick is in the air".

Those days were supplanted with hockey of a different sort leading up to coaches like Cherry who liked the more physical interaction which encourages "high sticking" rather than penalizes it.

Watching inherently fast paced, rough and tumble games like Lacrosse, Hockey, and Australian rules football should be on everyone's list of sports worth watching. Never a ho-hum moment.
Too much gratutous violence in Hockey for me, although hearing a hockey puck slam into the wall from a missed slap shot in an empty arena except for a few players practicing on the ice is a real wake-up.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:02 PM

26 posts, read 20,261 times
I just recently moved to the U.S a year ago from Quebec (Canada)
My husband and I have had this conversation MANY TIMES. This is what we concluded.

Minimum wage in Canada is $10.50 an hour (when I last checked), life is more expensive, we have higher taxes, but we get free health care which means you can have any job you want and not have to worry about getting the job of your dreams and not being covered by health care.

Minimum wage in the U.S is like $7.50?, the cost of living is less and taxes are lower but you don't get free health care unless you have a job that offers health care but even then they only cover so much of your hospital bill! The full cost of having a child in the U.S (I would know because I had a baby here) is around $15,000 and luckily we were covered 90% because of my husbands good job! So if someone gets very ill in the U.S they could be paying LOTS of money to the Hospital!

So stuff like that evens out between Canada and the U.S.

I do notice though that if a house is for sale in Canada and it is going for $200,000 it is considered to be a less expensive house than most in Canada.

In the U.S, if the same house is being sold for the same amount of money, people consider it to be a very expensive house.

Both countries are similar and different in many ways.
It depends what you consider "FREE" as.

In Canada, if you punch somebody in the face..the worst that can happen is they punch you back or the cops come and ask what happened then leave.
In the U.S if you punch someone, the cops come and either arrest you, the person tries to sue you, or you manage to get out of it somehow.

Also I have noticed this with friends...in Canada, at least Qc, if you're smoking pot, the cops will usually just take what you're smoking away from you (if you're doing all this within reason) and tell you to not be in public or tell you that you should stop.
In the U.S, they'll arrest you and you'll go to jail and get a record for smoking.
(THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ME BUT FRIENDS)

It is easier to become famous in the U.S than in Canada. In Canada, you've got to be the best at what you do or you're not gonna get noticed so easy.

So that's Just some stuff I notice about both countries.

Don't get me wrong, I like both countries and an not trying to make one sound better than the other, I'm just making statements that I have heard and seen from both Americans and Canadians. Old and young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or