U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 PM
 
3,742 posts, read 2,591,824 times
Reputation: 891

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
In a word yes. Liberalism is a way of life.
Yes, a poverty-stricken one. Good luck with that, When tummy grumbles, eat dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 AM
 
3,537 posts, read 2,303,611 times
Reputation: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Canadians are far less obsessed with guns, and are less likely to think they need to be armed to greet their neighbor.
Hyperbole at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,255,051 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Fish flies? Areyou talking about mayflies?
Yup, other places call them mayflies, but we call them fishflies. We even have a lovely festival dedicated to them. We get gigantic ones as well! If I go north along the lake, they get smaller and smaller. Yes, mayflies will do.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4wdvcI8qfS...00/mayfly1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM
 
18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Reputation: 13315
How about those no-see-um's in Florida? Those things rank right up there with Canada's notorious black flies for being voracious eaters and are capable of getting through the standard size window screenings.

The only bug you cannot see until it takes a chunk of you and flys off with that in it's mouth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,521 posts, read 9,402,418 times
Reputation: 6667
The Canadian invasion of American television continues!

ABC Picks Up Canadian Thriller Drama 'Motive' For Summer - Deadline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 AM
 
426 posts, read 1,691,248 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Of course that sort of healthcare seems fabulously good to you. You know nothing else.

See, that's the problem with right wingers. They haven't been further than their local Walmart, swallow the BS fed them by the leaders of the Republican Party, that this country is fantabulous, that there's nothing better anywhere, that it's the absolute cat's meow, and they BELIEVE IT.

My eyes were opened when I began traveling abroad and realizing that the jingoistic BS propaganda being fed here about how this place is great, this place is jolly, this place is the best, was all crap in a basket.

But there you are, thinking it really really is wonderful. Carry on. You know zip.
I stopped reading at you know nothing else.

Your post is ignorant. Go read my previous posts in this thread. You may find yourself apologizing. I had to actually suppress my laughter when I read this post.

I was raised in Canada. Lived there 35 years. And I am a democrat.

Healthcare in Canada is off the chart expensive. Its the poor and lower class whom think its a 'good deal' because they pay less than they are getting back out of it. They rely on the charity of other taxpayers to pay the rest of their bill.



If you can make money, you do not want to stay in Canada. If you are poor or disabled, yes you do. Unless you feel its your duty to carry everyone else with your paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 AM
 
426 posts, read 1,691,248 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I have a Bachelor's in Psychology and a Nursing Degree. I went to the US because I married an American. Good money? There's more to life than good money. What's wrong with you? I'd rather make less money and live in a country with compassion, equal rights for all, healthcare for all, less racism, less gun violence, less hate, less crime and an all around more relaxed and sane attitude.
Screw the money. I make enough.
This spin is bad. Subjective claims that Canada is just a 'better' country. That is your argument?

Listen to those talking points. Lol. Well, I guess that means you got nothing else. People who claim money isn't worth anything have never had it.

listen to this guy................... I got lots of money I dont need anymore..............

Does that sound like someone who has money to you? No. It smacks of someone who has no money and is ignorant to its impact on our lives. It reads like someone still used to having everything provided for and never learning how his society still has to pay for it .

You dont seem like a guy who has used his degrees or put much effort into your career to me, if you actually have those degrees at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM
 
18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Reputation: 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
I stopped reading at you know nothing else.

Your post is ignorant. Go read my previous posts in this thread. You may find yourself apologizing. I had to actually suppress my laughter when I read this post.

I was raised in Canada. Lived there 35 years. And I am a democrat.

Healthcare in Canada is off the chart expensive. Its the poor and lower class whom think its a 'good deal' because they pay less than they are getting back out of it. They rely on the charity of other taxpayers to pay the rest of their bill.



If you can make money, you do not want to stay in Canada. If you are poor or disabled, yes you do. Unless you feel its your duty to carry everyone else with your paycheck.
So given all the facts that have been posted here to the contrary of your assertion of "off the charts expensive", your contention is that only the poor and lower class benefit from our system while the rest of us pay the freight? You do realize you've highlighted the actual failings in your U.S. based system to a "T" don't you?

What a load of crap!

You go right to that class distinction thingy like it's a right of passage one must either aspire to rise above or you're a failure as a marker of whether or not a country's health care is satisfactory? How stupid is that?

Our system is tax based. It relies upon our tax code to fund the health care and as with all tax coded systems it will therefore receive the bulk of it's funding from those of us who pay the largest proportion of taxes. It certainly does NOT rely upon funding from the upper echelon or elite, as your stupid post implies. Were that indeed a reality, we'd all be sicker than dogs while the Cayman Islands banks thrived. Oh wait, I just described ........ never mind you won't get it anyway.


Brother; I'm glad you left and I'll bet Tommy Douglas is as well.

Thank goodness the bulk of Canadians believe very strongly in a social contract to provide an "irravocable" necessity of life for ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM
 
18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Reputation: 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
This spin is bad. Subjective claims that Canada is just a 'better' country. That is your argument?

Listen to those talking points. Lol. Well, I guess that means you got nothing else. People who claim money isn't worth anything have never had it.

listen to this guy................... I got lots of money I dont need anymore..............

Does that sound like someone who has money to you? No. It smacks of someone who has no money and is ignorant to its impact on our lives. It reads like someone still used to having everything provided for and never learning how his society still has to pay for it .

You dont seem like a guy who has used his degrees or put much effort into your career to me, if you actually have those degrees at all.
That's not what was said AT ALL!

It's obvious, given your two recent posts, that for you at least; it's ALL about the money!

The poster was opining a position that quality of life and the provision of a necessity such as universal health care for all was something the perhaps they were willing to sacrifice a bit of greed to maintain.

The trade-off seems to be one that the majority of Canadians find reasonable while you seem to be caught in that I want to make money and even more money to obtain that lifestyle that you chide others for being willing to settle for something less than you claim to possess.

You have no doubt googled to support your claim that Canadians are suffering a lower lifestyle quotient than the U.S. due to our support for Universal Health Care. I find it more than passing strange that I don't find ANY of those two facts in evidence on any sites I peruse.

Now back to being "less free in Canada" ~ how's the news down there these last few days or have you been living under a rock as your posts on Health Care would seem to suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 12,007,068 times
Reputation: 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
This spin is bad. Subjective claims that Canada is just a 'better' country. That is your argument?

Listen to those talking points. Lol. Well, I guess that means you got nothing else. People who claim money isn't worth anything have never had it.

listen to this guy................... I got lots of money I dont need anymore..............

Does that sound like someone who has money to you? No. It smacks of someone who has no money and is ignorant to its impact on our lives. It reads like someone still used to having everything provided for and never learning how his society still has to pay for it .

You dont seem like a guy who has used his degrees or put much effort into your career to me, if you actually have those degrees at all.
What the hell is wrong with you? That's not what I said at all! First of all, I'm a girl. Secondly, you're wrong about everything else as well. I was making more money in the US, but there's more to life than money. That's why I came home. I'd rather make less and live in a saner, more compassionate place.
"If I have those degrees at all?" How about if I doubt you've ever lived here at all?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 05-22-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top