U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,005,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You best stay in CDN with your illegal little black sticky balls. Come here and you will come to understand what draconian law is.
And you had better stay in the USA. God forbid you have another accident.
If you have it here, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!
So, stay away with your idiotic macho posturing, your violent homophobia and the rest of your crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times
Welty; keep it on the high road now. I am sensing a rent in his armour as he actually admitted to a law or two in the U.S. being DRACONIAN! Imagine that. LOL.

I think we're softening him up a little.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 PM

264 posts, read 234,477 times
Is Canada less "free"? No way. I am an American that got to spend a few months in Toronto. It's a great city and lots of Canada is beautiful. I have to say that, even as a moderate to left American, their taxes are very high and that can be a tough concept if you aren't used to it. I also found medical facilities to not feel as new or nice as the US. With thy being said, less crime can make you feel more free to enjoy the major cities without the fear of violence.

To me it's a wash. Both are free, beautiful countries with great people. The rest simply comes down to personal preference and what "home" is to a person.

Last edited by Now What; 05-23-2013 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Hit send too early like an idiot.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,883,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My heart wept, for some were friends of many years standing and when you're one day golfing with a couple whose turn it is to host happy hour on the patio beside their rig to the next day see the water hose, cable hook-up and sewer hose laying on the ground beside an empty patio is shocking to say the least! Some horror stories of rigs being re-possessed during the early morning hours to catch the occupants off guard were common. "Did you hear the Smith's lost their rig last night?" "They had to take everything they could grab in less than an hour out of the thing and pack their car to head north" was the stuff of happy hour discussions for months.

Very nice Prevosts were showing up parked helter skelter on consignment lots in Yuma being driven over from Cali to take advantage of the northern-headed end-of-season snowbirds out of the RGV. The driver's would roll the thing into the lot and whichever way it was pointed was where it got summarily shut off and left. They were paid to get it there and then climb into a car for a quick turnaround back to Cali for another group.

I was flabbergasted to see these million dollar rigs sitting there in a fenced enclosure with the gate wide open on the south side of 32nd street with nothing more than a placard in the windshield with a phone number on it, keys in the ignition, and no one in attendance. My wife and I toured through a couple of them and you will find this difficult to believe but there was still clothing hanging in the closets.

One can only imagine to what extent the dreams that those motorhomes were purchased to fulfill were dashed forever for some of those owners.

Those Casitas out in the Foothills area east of Yuma were also the source of stories of woe. Beautiful manicured lots with Casita's on them with a kitchenette and lounge room with laundry facilities dropped into the basement in pricing so that people could recoup some loss to pay down their now due sub-prime they'd used to finance those.

Truly heartbreaking stuff to witness.

You hit the nail on the head when you defined it as "less than insightful" to cash in gold plated equity to use it for the financing of a depreciating recreational asset. Then watch as your gold plate turns to brass.

The lure of a recreational luxury item in one's later years is a tough one to resist and I can sympathize to a great degree with the flawed decision process that led to those.

Being retired DINKS, both with defined benefit pensions, along with a lifetime of positive investment growth, insulates us to a great degree from the vagaries of a fickle economy and coupled with our very lucky timing of purchase/sale events, we are sitting right where we planned to be.

Our fervent wish is for all those younger folks out there to have it as good as we are currently having life. Taking it for granted however is not in our cards as it could all change with any kind of a health event characteristic of our age group.
For me , the recession came early. My business was in capital goods distribution , as a rule we are about 8 months ahead of the retail economy .By the time everyone else saw the hand writing on the wall we were already suffering, big time. It hit me at a bad time when I was winding down my trucking business preparing for retirement.I was into commodities , facing a margin call along with an IRS audit drove me over the edge. Little did I know my bookkeeper was ( wife) hiding the fact that she had not been paying withholding for several years. I was developing a serious drinking problem along with depression, wars on several fronts, all coming to a head after 40 years in a business I started from nothing.
In many ways I was glad we had done everything , including living on a boat for 5 years and 1 million miles on two Monacos.We did it all early along with building and restoring homes and vintage cars. My plate was full every state several times over, all of Canada including N of 60. ( Yellowknife was still my favorite place) I guess 6 weeks in Alaska with old cars and friends ate up what was left of a bankrupt business....the end was near. Those years in the coach were wonderful, pulling a trailer behind with a big Packard on board.We belonged to several touring clubs , saw places we would never have seen otherwise. I was also a writer with several,books in print, life had been good to me for a long time.
I bring up all this timeline as maybe the thing NOT to do, living large. The recession turned into a depression for us that lasted the next four years. Everything was gone , Motorhome, vintage cars, friends, income, and retirement savings. Again the hard times hit a lot of us not just the folks who were caught up in the equity bubble. We had several friends in Ca. Who were always puzzled about our lifestyle Even before the recession. I lived for the moment not so much for the day all the cards would fall, which, I knew was coming. Health issues had Something to do with the way we lived , the wife had just beat Brest cancer, I recall her hair falling out as we traveled at speed to Idaho for another adventure. All this time our Canada friends looked on in amazement, they were quite successful in oil, living in Edmonton and Calgary doing the snowbird thing every winter in AZ. In their modest Winabago's, their average homes , their same sorta lifestyle with the Motorhome thing. They did not loose a fortune in precious metal stocks, in part to the conservative policy's of the Toronto exchange.They did not have any mortgage worries, no subprime loans, no real loss in any investments, just a slow and steady growth , living in the same house for over 30 years. We on the other hand , four houses, toys ,boats ...that were not increasing in value but were not going down ether.Towards the end I was beginning to feel like I should have been like our friends north of the border.
The final leg in our less than modest journey somehow improved, slowly. From the remains of the day we were able to hold on to a Mountains top on Lake Superior. I spent the next five years building a modern minimalist abode with a all glass killer view. No mortgage, as banks were not lending, doing much of the work myself, mostly why it took five years to complete. Today we signed the papers on a reverse mortgage, no payments to no one. This too took a lot of time , three years fighting the system in order to convince the underwriter our new home was OK to approve for the mortgage as there are no comps for an appraisal HUD would except.
The story continues, prosperity returned things were looking up , but we had learned several things about the comparison lifestyles . We have learned to live with a little less , paying cash for everything, just like our friends north of the border.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 AM

30,874 posts, read 31,747,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
In the USA we get tv. May 11th the day after a bad bike crash in 1979 I was layin' in ICU trying to breath with no more spleen, a punctured left lung, 8 ribs broken more than once, a broke clavicle, and a broken neck at C-3, and what comes on but bennie hill patting nurses on thee behind.

I was just tapped up not sewn or stapled.I was sure i was gonna bust my guts.. They slit me open like pig, from below the navel to the sternum. i held my pillow for dear life.

In Cdn i would probably have died waiting.
If that were true, then why are so many Americans stealing health care in Canada?

Quote:
Lacking a national health care system of their own, thousands of Americans are tapping into Canada's -- illegally. A report prepared for Ontario's Health Minister indicated that from August 1992 to February 1993, 60,000 medical claims had been made on behalf of patients who held American drivers' licenses. The total number of improper claims in Ontario was estimated at 600,000.
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/20/wo...ted=all&src=pm

Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
For me , the recession came early. My business was in capital goods distribution , as a rule we are about 8 months ahead of the retail economy .By the time everyone else saw the hand writing on the wall we were already suffering, big time. It hit me at a bad time when I was winding down my trucking business preparing for retirement.I was into commodities , facing a margin call along with an IRS audit drove me over the edge. Little did I know my bookkeeper was ( wife) hiding the fact that she had not been paying withholding for several years. I was developing a serious drinking problem along with depression, wars on several fronts, all coming to a head after 40 years in a business I started from nothing.
In many ways I was glad we had done everything , including living on a boat for 5 years and 1 million miles on two Monacos.We did it all early along with building and restoring homes and vintage cars. My plate was full every state several times over, all of Canada including N of 60. ( Yellowknife was still my favorite place) I guess 6 weeks in Alaska with old cars and friends ate up what was left of a bankrupt business....the end was near. Those years in the coach were wonderful, pulling a trailer behind with a big Packard on board.We belonged to several touring clubs , saw places we would never have seen otherwise. I was also a writer with several,books in print, life had been good to me for a long time.
I bring up all this timeline as maybe the thing NOT to do, living large. The recession turned into a depression for us that lasted the next four years. Everything was gone , Motorhome, vintage cars, friends, income, and retirement savings. Again the hard times hit a lot of us not just the folks who were caught up in the equity bubble. We had several friends in Ca. Who were always puzzled about our lifestyle Even before the recession. I lived for the moment not so much for the day all the cards would fall, which, I knew was coming. Health issues had Something to do with the way we lived , the wife had just beat Brest cancer, I recall her hair falling out as we traveled at speed to Idaho for another adventure. All this time our Canada friends looked on in amazement, they were quite successful in oil, living in Edmonton and Calgary doing the snowbird thing every winter in AZ. In their modest Winabago's, their average homes , their same sorta lifestyle with the Motorhome thing. They did not loose a fortune in precious metal stocks, in part to the conservative policy's of the Toronto exchange.They did not have any mortgage worries, no subprime loans, no real loss in any investments, just a slow and steady growth , living in the same house for over 30 years. We on the other hand , four houses, toys ,boats ...that were not increasing in value but were not going down ether.Towards the end I was beginning to feel like I should have been like our friends north of the border.
The final leg in our less than modest journey somehow improved, slowly. From the remains of the day we were able to hold on to a Mountains top on Lake Superior. I spent the next five years building a modern minimalist abode with a all glass killer view. No mortgage, as banks were not lending, doing much of the work myself, mostly why it took five years to complete. Today we signed the papers on a reverse mortgage, no payments to no one. This too took a lot of time , three years fighting the system in order to convince the underwriter our new home was OK to approve for the mortgage as there are no comps for an appraisal HUD would except.
The story continues, prosperity returned things were looking up , but we had learned several things about the comparison lifestyles . We have learned to live with a little less , paying cash for everything, just like our friends north of the border.
Well; it would seem you've also "learned" another thing: the true meaning of the word "learned". One tends to think of learned in the context of tacking it to another word; "lesson". It is my belief we go to our graves with the measure of our lives being summed up by what we've "learned".

You and your wife learned far more than you might consider with all of the travelling and yes, even the enjoyment of "living large". You had the experience of things all too many will never have the opportunity to experience. We can't foresee the future, as much as we'd like to think we can.

I would think you've had the benefit of a period of lifestyle without comparison and had you been able to see the future down the road; which parts of your adventure would you have sacrificed? How would sacrificing any part of it have changed your life without perhaps negatively impacting some other part of it?

Worse case scenario: were you to suffer some debilitating or crippling illness and were confined to a rocking chair or worse, which memories are going to sustain your still functioning brain till the end of days?

My hope; should it ever turn thus, is to be able to dredge up a memory from the many I now cherish that will bring a questioning look to the face of the overworked nurse who see's only a husk in a full diaper confined to a bed or chair with a vacant, far off look in his eye but a huge smile on his face!

Which memories in your portfolio would those be?

Last edited by BruSan; 05-24-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,883,686 times
Quote:
Well; it would seem you've also "learned" another thing: the true meaning of the word "learned". One tends to think of learned in the context of tacking it to another word; "lesson". It is my belief we go to our graves with the measure of our lives being summed up by what we've "learned".

You and your wife learned far more than you might consider with all of the travelling and yes, even the enjoyment of "living large". You had the experience of things all too many will never have the opportunity to experience. We can't foresee the future, as much as we'd like to think we can.

I would think you've had the benefit of a period of lifestyle without comparison and had you been able to see the future down the road; which parts of your adventure would you have sacrificed? How would sacrificing any part of it have changed your life without perhaps negatively impacting some other part of it?

Worse case scenario: were you to suffer some debilitating or crippling illness and were confined to a rocking chair or worse, which memories are going to sustain your still functioning brain till the end of days?

My hope; should it ever turn thus, is to be able to dredge up a memory from the many I now cherish that will bring a questioning look to the face of the overworked nurse who see's only a husk in a full diaper confined to a bed or chair with a vacant, far off look in his eye but a huge smile on his face!

Which memories in your portfolio would those be?
Would not give up any of them overall. Hope the memmories are remembered , some are starting to get foggy I like to cherish the moment above all else, you have to be there.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,217,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
And you had better stay in the USA. God forbid you have another accident.
If you have it here, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!
So, stay away with your idiotic macho posturing, your violent homophobia and the rest of your crap.
make me...... I have been in Canada armed many times, and even fired guns on the lawn of the govt building in Montreal.. More guns in Upper Canada Village and again on Nova Scotia soil.

Don't you just feel totally stupid now?

Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Welty; keep it on the high road now. I am sensing a rent in his armour as he actually admitted to a law or two in the U.S. being DRACONIAN! Imagine that. LOL.

I think we're softening him up a little.
Naw... There was a wee conflict of interest between me and your RMP once. A Court of law in Canada told me their opinion of Texas law was that Texas had 'Draconian law' I was just repeating one of your judges.

I don't know why the Canadian judge went off on me about Texas, because at that time i have never been to Texas once.

You don't seem to understand i am not just another good sheep. I don't care if it is NH State Police Ga State Police Bost NYC or friggin RMP, if i think I am in the right and they don't we all get to go to court and fight about it.

Now i might not seem very bright to you, but i have never once been convicted of anything. On the other hand i believe smoking the black sticky stuff will still get that weltschmerz a vacation in the gray bar motel.

Ah yes those were the days to go bang french speaking chicks at Mcgill. At least they had some sense of appreciation .

Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If that were true, then why are so many Americans stealing health care in Canada?

Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada - New York Times
I dunno man. I ain't never been to a cdn medical institution, but I hear from my CDN rider buddies that ride down to see me and NH and soon they will be around over fathers day week riding all over my state and some tenting in my field. Search Laconia Bike Week. Just because of the distance I think you may never have heard of that biker event.

These friends of mine tell me about what is and wghat is not so good about Canada. I like Canada and have relatives still living in Canada. I love sitting on a sidewalk cafe' inj Montreal all dring real beer not American well water too!

BUT my friends tell me the wait is long.... and that sometimes thyey come here or have family that comes here because if they wait they end up dead.

Now i know the god damned FDA won't allow certain drugs that are legal in canada for cancer and Americans go there and pay hard for it.

So far you alone mention steal..... I don't know a thing about American stealing anything from Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or