Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Honey, you are indeed the king - the king of misinterpreting what you read.
As long as I'm your king, I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
As long as I'm your king, I don't care.
Ha. I only have one king, and he takes all his marching orders from me.

Signed,
The Empress

Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada

Lacking a national health care system of their own, thousands of Americans are tapping into Canada's -- illegally.
"It's not an epidemic in any one person's practice," said Keith MacLeod, an obstetrician in Windsor, Ontario, across from Detroit, "but I would estimate that from 12 to 20 of my patients at any one time are ineligible Americans. And I'm just one of 520 doctors in Windsor, 23,000 in Ontario."
Dr. MacLeod, former president of the Essex County Medical Society, delivers about 400 babies a year.
A report prepared for Ontario's Health Minister indicated that from August 1992 to February 1993, 60,000 medical claims had been made on behalf of patients who held American drivers' licenses. The total number of improper claims in Ontario was estimated at 600,000.
Only legal residents qualify for free medical care in Canada, using plastic health cards for identification. Others are supposed to pay for medical services they may require, but many are submitting counterfeit, borrowed or fraudulently obtained cards.
Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada - New York Times
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of this, and it does not surprise me, but does not seem to be huge problem. I know if I am in Canada and need medical care, I am assuming they would bill my insurance co.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'll start rolling up a fattie.
Would you prefer grass or sticky black Nepalese hash?
Oh please don't tempt me.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of this, and it does not surprise me, but does not seem to be huge problem. I know if I am in Canada and need medical care, I am assuming they would bill my insurance co.
Not seeming to be a huge problem??? Those figures were for just one Province alone! Considering most of our provinces share a border with the U.S., you can readily imagine the cost implications to a country of one tenth your population.

It becomes somewhat of a conundrum for us as Ontario taxpayers in that those numbers only reflect the folks using their U.S. driver's licenses as a form of identity while there are literally thousands of Americans who own property in our cottage country and have done for generations who might have applied for, been provided, and still hold one of the older Health cards using their Canadian address as proof of residency. Those cards are still in force and active.

Our elderly American neighbours at our cottage on the Burnt River near Fenlon Falls Ontario as far back as the early 1960's, were long time property owners and routinely accessed our health care provisions while in Canada by "pacing" their illness remedial mediation until they were again back in the north to get free treatment.

The newer cards are photo regulated and, for a time, did require a greater degree of scrutiny until backlogs in issuance became a bottleneck and some oversight was sacrificed to expedite issuance.

This has been going on for decades.

Yes if you are in Canada and offer proof of insurance they will bill that but you must understand the concept of these folks simply not playing by the rules?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
I will point out that..........The information about OHIP fraud, in Windsor, Ontario is REALLY OLD, from the 1990's, if you read the actual quote.

TODAY, getting a OHIP card requires the following types of identification, from the OHIP website. Please read it here.

What documents do I need to apply for a Health (OHIP) Card?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm coming to your place for pot and poutines, weltz.

Maybe Ghostrider can pick me up on his way up north. lol

This has actually been a pretty productive thread. Good read.
Sure, I can swing your way, plenty of room!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:42 PM

[quote=BruSan;29429079]Not seeming to be a huge problem??? Those figures were for just one Province alone! Considering most of our provinces share a border with the U.S., you can readily imagine the cost implications to a country of one tenth your population.

It becomes somewhat of a conundrum for us as Ontario taxpayers in that those numbers only reflect the folks using their U.S. driver's licenses as a form of identity while there are literally thousands of Americans who own property in our cottage country and have done for generations who might have applied for, been provided, and still hold one of the older Health cards using their Canadian address as proof of residency. Those cards are still in force and active.

Our elderly American neighbours at our cottage on the Burnt River near Fenlon Falls Ontario as far back as the early 1960's, were long time property owners and routinely accessed our health care provisions while in Canada by "pacing" their illness remedial mediation until they were again back in the north to get free treatment.

The newer cards are photo regulated and, for a time, did require a greater degree of scrutiny until backlogs in issuance became a bottleneck and some oversight was sacrificed to expedite issuance.

This has been going on for decades.

Yes if you are in Canada and offer proof of insurance they will bill that
Quote:
but you must understand the concept of these folks simply not playing by the rules?[/
Yes I do and it happens here also, Medicare fraud, doctors and patients cheat the system out of billions every year.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:54 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Default Do you consider Canada less "free"?

"Bout the same.

Heritage Sheep are a crime now?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
Oh yeah. Canada seems to be very strict with lots of laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies