U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 AM

36,470 posts, read 15,977,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'll bet there are some really great parents who do a wonderful job of homeschooling. And ~ I'll bet there are some that are dumber than dirt and have no business trying to homeschool.

I've seen both.
After reading the constant stories on here about some of the stupid things some teachers, principles and other school administrators have done, I could say many of them "have no business trying" to be teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
And,I think it does mean that they loose money in that districts get a certain amount for each student enrolled. I read yesterday that we spend 10,000.00 per public school child per year. That is an awful lot of tax dollars spent with a pretty mediocre return,when you look at test scores. In comparison, the average homeschooling families spend aprox. 500.00 to 600.00 p child for curriculum, and supplies. And, with that much less spent,they score at least 10-20% better on standardized tests than their public school counterparts.

Rampant government waste,anyone?
With respect, I don't think this is true, "And,I think it does mean that they loose money in that districts get a certain amount for each student enrolled.

I believe they count the total number of kids in a school district.

People pay local taxes which mostly go to schools. People who choose to send their kids to either private schools or home school STILL pay the SAME taxes.

Government and rampant waste are synonymous.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
It's a form of imprisonment, brainwashing, and then when the kids are nice and f'd up, off they're sent into the world to try to get used to the real world, and try to learn everything they should've learned and were prevented from. Abuse.
Are you so naive to be believe the same thing doesn't happen in some schools and some teachers don't engage in the same type behavior?

If you were a teacher, I am so glad none of my family was assigned to you. they wouldn't have been for long.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 AM

15,202 posts, read 18,212,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I don't have to fling myself off a 10 storey bldg to know it'll hurt when I land.
I don't know... I really think you should test that hypothesis and report back with the results.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
There is no point in even trying to speak rationally to you, and try to show the error of your point of view,because all you seem to know how to do is spew mindless, left-wing babble. Knock yourself out.
And so typical of a lot of public school teachers.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,517,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You're making up a bunch of crap, I know of several kids who were home schooled and are well adjusted socially and academically. They do not hide under mommy's skirt. Actually, many do much better and are able to focus better, being there is no disruption from the ghetto rats that now attend what were good schools before forced merger.
Oh yeah, just wave that magic homeschooling wand and voila! The kids are instantly socialized while under their mother's skirt.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,517,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The real weird people are those that debase a whole group of people weird without knowing them and know even less about the facts of home schooling.

I know plenty of homeschoolers personally. Why the hell would I take any interest in this, if not for my seeing it up close and personal, and realizing what a piece of abusive crap homeschooling is?

I also know that homeschooling parents are sensitive about the criticism. If they're sensitive, that's not my problem.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My parents could never have homeschooled me to the standard I received in public school. You get out of it what you put into it. I walked out of high school as close to fluent in Spanish as you can be without living in a Spanish-only environment (that came later), conversational in French, with 4s and 5s in about 6 AP exams, and a full tuition scholarship to an elite college. I wasn't even in the top 10% grades-wise of my school and my school was not considered a top high school. Meanwhile, neighbors used to complain to my mom about how "bad" the public school was and how it was failing their children. These parents never showed up to a PTA meeting, didn't know their children's teachers, and had little involvement - or only started caring once they hit high school and it was too late.

As much as my parents would have liked to, they couldn't have taught me to analyze poetry in Spanish. Or given me the skills that even 4 years later, I was able to successfully navigate France entirely in French. Or taught me to edit films, think my way around geometry proofs, or write statistical analyses of a population. My parents are intelligent people who educated me far beyond what I would have learned in public school, but their abilities and interests did not remotely line up with either mine or my brother's interests (foreign languages and math, specifically). Part of the reason why I was so successful in English, social studies, and science is because my parents had for a lifetime backed up what I learned in school with summer vacations, dining room table discussions, and encouraging self study in the summers with two or three trips a week to the library. Those are likely some of the hallmarks of a successful homeschooling program as well.

The problem with both public school and homeschool is that there are plenty of people who are perfect examples of success, but many families fail to meet that mark and they are the ones who are remembered and held up as cautionary tales. No one remembers my successes in the public school system, but everyone feels fit to blame the school for little Johnny gang-banger. Unfortunately, homeschooling is perceived as having more risks because there is less oversight to make sure that the soft skill goals are being met. In reality, it is all parents' jobs to make sure that their child is getting social interaction outside of school, encouraged to learn beyond a curriculum, raised to be self-motivated learners, and has good values. Neither public school nor homeschooled families hold a monopoly on doing that well.
"My parents could never have homeschooled me to the standard I received in public school". Which goes to show you know very little about home schooling.

And I know kids who WERE home schooled and have just as good in not better credentials as you.

( I don't know if your credentials are as accurate as claim. Someone with your "education" probably wouldn't have so many spelling errors.)

Many home school parents are involved with other home school parents and get special education by "sharing" resources and bring in experts as needed.

Much of your post I agree with. Generally children who do well in school have parents who are involved in, and have a much larger interest in the educstion of their children, whether public, private or home schooling.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Do you know how many teachers I know who are horrible teachers, I know of several that are alcoholics and still in the classroom. Try getting rid of them, it is almost impossible, they transfer them around from school to school until they retire. Is it any wonder people want to home school? The public school system stinks for the most part and most teachers teach by throwing a book at you and tell you to read it. I look for more and more people to home school and use cyber schools to achieve what our public schools can't. If you are a teacher, then you should know how screwed up the public school system is, or you are turning a blind eye.
I know of public school teachers who were "promoted out" of the classroom.

The parents put up such a fuss about them the got "promoted" to the admin office of the Board of Education just to get them out of the classroom. THEY SHOULD HAVE NEED FIRED BUT, WE ALL KNOW THAT SELDOM EVER HAPPENS.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,973,569 times
So many spelling errors? Would you care to point them out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies