Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:53 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So do beauty pageant mom's, even some soccer moms, some moms like to control and others understand the need for their children to become adults.

I'd say there is good and bad outcome of public schools also, the high rate of drop outs shows the public schools have no control of the kids either.
They aren't usually isolated. I'm being specific here. Religious fundamentalist specific. I'm just saying oversight is a good thing so nobody gets trapped. It's not an infringement on parential rights to make sure kids are safe and educated and not isolated and kept dependent. Isolationism is what I'm against. I could care less about teaching kids at home vs school, public or otherwise. But I do not believe anyone owns their children and can do whatever they want with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They aren't usually isolated. I'm being specific here. Religious fundamentalist specific. I'm just saying oversight is a good thing so nobody gets trapped. It's not an infringement on parential rights to make sure kids are safe and educated and not isolated and kept dependent. Isolationism is what I'm against. I could care less about teaching kids at home vs school, public or otherwise. But I do not believe anyone owns their children and can do whatever they want with them.
Agreed!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:12 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I LOVE how parents who homeschool their kids are so confident that they know enough to actually put their kids thru school. It's hysterical! You gotta have education standards people & it should be across the board. Why anyone would homeschool their kids is beyond me. I find it totally bizarre.
And our public schools have such a fine record.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I'm starting to think you have more of a personal problem, homeschoolers I know are driving their selves by 16 They also have jobs to pay for the car, most homeschool parents don't seek to provide all their childrens wants.
I think so too. I've never read anyone critical of homeschooling write the way that Sarita does. Sarita's "criticism" is bordering on personal attack style rants rather than anything thought out.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
I'm calling BS on the highly biased source link that OP posted.

Witchcraft in German public schools? Really?

About the only thing that is true from the link is this:

Quote:
Two of the worst nations for home-schoolers are Germany and Sweden
And BOTH of those countries kick our hind ends when it comes to the quality of their education.

Maybe we should take our cue from them instead of defending the crazies that come over ehre and think they have to protect their kids from "witchcraft" in the schools.

Bye bye nutbags, you are Germany's problem again!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I LOVE how parents who homeschool their kids are so confident that they know enough to actually put their kids thru school. It's hysterical! You gotta have education standards people & it should be across the board. Why anyone would homeschool their kids is beyond me. I find it totally bizarre.

If we are talking %... Homeschooled citizens graduate college at higher %, than than of those getting a public education. 90% vs. 40%

Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 AM

541 posts, read 1,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Yeah yeah, I know. The mommy says to the 17 year old male, "Honey, get in the car. I'm taking you to soccer." She drives him over, he plays, game over, mommy drives him home again, they walk in and she locks the door.
Haha! Uh, no! My previously homeschooled son received his license a year and a day after he had his learners' permit, that's our states' law(GA). He drives himself to swim team and water polo practice.

He has decided to join the military after HS because he is so independent. I have told him many times, if you take money from someone, they have a right to tell you how to live. That's how it goes in our household! Even with scholarships, grants, he would still be relying on us financially. He wants none of it. Also, the men on his fathers' side of family have served in armed forces, since the Revolutionary War.

And just because you have such a negative view of homeschooling, I'll toot my own horn for a minute. We didn't just learn about history/geography, I took him to the places we learned about. We taught him about Panama Canal, took him there, same thing with the Mayans! Took him to Chicken Itza (chicken pizza) Tulum, rain forests in Costa Rica, Belize, England, California, Boston, California, Washington, DC., Maine, Monticello, Ft. Sumter, USS Yorktown, Gettysburg, I could go on and on!

We are not religious in anyway.

Could he have received that education in a public or private school? NO!

Do people meet socially awakard HS'ers? Yes, but I can think of several socially awkward teenagers that attend public/private schools.

Education takes many forms, not just in the classroom.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
The whole shebang is nothing but a pffft. There is a certain segment of the "American" Christian community that is paranoid to the max. As a Christian myself it makes me sick. One of the effects of being a "Believer", so we are told in the bible is courage, lack of fear and trust in God. Never in the history of the Church have Christians had as much freedom as we believers have in todays North American culture. If you listen to many of these whiners you would think we were being fed to the lions!!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I'll bet there are some really great parents who do a wonderful job of homeschooling. And ~ I'll bet there are some that are dumber than dirt and have no business trying to homeschool.

I've seen both.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:06 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This would be nothing more than sinister indoctrination.
This story and the title are total crap. Holder didn't do anything challenging the ability of Americans to home school their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies