Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They aren't usually isolated. I'm being specific here. Religious fundamentalist specific. I'm just saying oversight is a good thing so nobody gets trapped. It's not an infringement on parential rights to make sure kids are safe and educated and not isolated and kept dependent. Isolationism is what I'm against. I could care less about teaching kids at home vs school, public or otherwise. But I do not believe anyone owns their children and can do whatever they want with them.
Homeschoolers have to take testing also....any responsible homeschooler knows this. The kids are not free willing it testing is required through homeschooling, by certified teachers.

Isolationism.....do you have facts of people doing this? Why do you people think homeschoolers have no friends or activies outside of their homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The whole shebang is nothing but a pffft. There is a certain segment of the "American" Christian community that is paranoid to the max. As a Christian myself it makes me sick. One of the effects of being a "Believer", so we are told in the bible is courage, lack of fear and trust in God. Never in the history of the Church have Christians had as much freedom as we believers have in todays North American culture. If you listen to many of these whiners you would think we were being fed to the lions!!!!
I think you should say a select few, I don't know many Christians running around worried about being taken over, but if you believe in the Bible it states clearly one day it will happen. Be careful laying down your sword......the enemy is patient in waiting.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
This story and the title are total crap. Holder didn't do anything challenging the ability of Americans to home school their children.
Actually this is a battle that homeschoolers have battled for a while, schools lose money when kids don't attend public school. You really didn't think those teachers wanted all the kids there for their own pleasure....all kids have a price tag in the school system.

I remember my friend pulling her kid out in the 90's to homeschool the school never even questioned why.....

Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I haven't done a study, but if you take a kid, decide that instead of letting him study with his peers, he's gonna stay put right there, next to MOMMY until he's 18, that's totally f'd up and I've seen the results of it in various kids. Yeah, you're right, I haven't done a study, but not everything needs a study. I don't have to fling myself off a 10 storey bldg to know it'll hurt when I land. Refusing to let your kid get socialized, and keeping him home with mommy as if he were forever 3 years old, is really, really f'd up.
You make up a lot of stuff on threads like this. You don't know many home schooled families. I'm not sure you even have children.

There are a lot of f'd up kids currently in public and private schools.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Is there any way in which modern white right-wingers are not victimized on a daily basis? Just curious.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Actually this is a battle that homeschoolers have battled for a while, schools lose money when kids don't attend public school. You really didn't think those teachers wanted all the kids there for their own pleasure....all kids have a price tag in the school system.
Not really. If they have more kids, they hire more teachers. If they have less kids, they hire less teachers. The number of kids doesn't make or break a school system.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 PM

489 posts, read 621,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Not really. If they have more kids, they hire more teachers. If they have less kids, they hire less teachers. The number of kids doesn't make or break a school system.
Yes, but if they hire less teachers, this means that perhaps jobs that have been very, very secure in past decades are now fairly tenuous. This can't help but shake up the status quo. It is threatening to the Teacher's union and to individual teachers that so many of us are opting out of the system. But, my contention is that a school system should not exist primarily to employ teachers, but to educate children.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:37 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just a little more evidence of how incompetant Holder is. The same guy that said criminals from other countries have a "right" to American citizenship. Hopefully he will some day get the mental health treatment he so obviously needs.

I really have to wonder why Obama hasn't fired him. He drags the entire administration down.
Obama and Holder have no character. what they say is off the wall. And the surely don't practice what they preach.. hypocrites to the ninth degree.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:39 PM

489 posts, read 621,547 times
And,I think it does mean that they loose money in that districts get a certain amount for each student enrolled. I read yesterday that we spend 10,000.00 per public school child per year. That is an awful lot of tax dollars spent with a pretty mediocre return,when you look at test scores. In comparison, the average homeschooling families spend aprox. 500.00 to 600.00 p child for curriculum, and supplies. And, with that much less spent,they score at least 10-20% better on standardized tests than their public school counterparts.

Rampant government waste,anyone?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Homeschoolers have to take testing also....any responsible homeschooler knows this. The kids are not free willing it testing is required through homeschooling, by certified teachers.

Isolationism.....do you have facts of people doing this? Why do you people think homeschoolers have no friends or activies outside of their homes?
Facts? Oh boy....yes I do. Simple answer, read "Quiverfull" by Kathryn Joyce. It's just a start, there are countless blogs and forums online as well but that's a whole other ballgame and not really appropriate for this thread. You can also watch the Duggars on TV, that's simple enough for anyone to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies