Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times

Advertisements

Homeschooling is silly. Public schools teach one how to interact with people in the real world. In the real world being charming or having a good golf swing can be more important than being the smartest person in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:33 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's a bit of a generalization. Some parents can't teach their kid not to pick up a gun and others send their kids to college by age 12.

Home-Schooled Teens Ripe for College - US News and World Report
Meet the family who sent six kids to college by age 12 - TODAY.com

I don't think anyone has to worry about an uncaring parent wanting to home school their kids. They probably think of school as a baby sitting service that gives them more time to themselves. The last thing they'd be inclined to do would be to take initiative and time out of their time for themselves to home school their kids.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
The Heartland Institute is an extremely biased source. Do you have any Teacher Union documents or spokespeople who have openly opposed homeschooling?
Do you have any Teacher Union documents or spokespeople who have openly opposed homeschooling?
"
I know how many people homeschool. The numbers are insignificant and would not affect the public school system in any measurable way. It's not worth teachers' time to think about it.
"“Home-schooling programs cannot provide the student with a
comprehensive education experience,” according to the

National
Education Association,
one of the largest and most powerful unions in the United States.
Reaffirmed recently at the NEA’s annual convention, the statement was originally published as part of

Resolution B-68,
adopted in 1988.

NEA vs. home schools

NEA Resolution

"B-75. Home Schooling
The National Education Association believes that
home schooling programs based on parental choice
cannot provide the student with a comprehensive
education experience. When home schooling occurs,
students enrolled must meet all state curricular
requirements, including th
e taking and passing of
assessments to ensure adequate academic progress. Ho
me schooling should be limited to the children of
the immediate family, with all expenses being borne by
the parents/guardians. Instruction should be by
persons who are licensed by the appropriate state e
ducation licensure agency, and a curriculum approved
by the state department of education should be used.
The Association also believes that home-school
ed students should not participate in any
extracurricular activities in the public schools.
The Association further believes that local public
school systems should have the authority to
determine grade placement and/or credits earned towa
rd graduation for students entering or re-entering
the public school setting from a home school setting. (1988, 2006)"

http://www.aeaonline.org/news/pdf/NEA%20Resolutions.pdf

NEA 2012 Resolution
"B-
. Home Schooling

The National Education Association believes that home schooling programs based on parental choice

cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience.
http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/nea-r...ns-2012-13.pdf

Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A lot of them. Including accusing me of making spelling mistakes when in fact I had none. I double checked. Twice. Yet in your accusation, you made 3 mistakes. It doesn't matter what level of education a person has when you start throwing stones.
I tried to edit my post#148 but, the system wouldn't let me, so here it is:

"My apologies on the spelling statement. Is it home schooling or homeschooling?. 2 words, or 1.The C-D SYSTEM flags it as misspelled when one word is used. After checking I have found it as 1 word also. Again, my apologies.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Why would you say that? Were you homeschooled?
Why would I say that?

The poster I replied to made the statement, "have no business trying" about home schooling teachers.

Originally Posted by Quick Enough
After reading the constant stories on here about some of the stupid things some teachers, principles and other school administrators have done, I could say many of them "have no business trying" to be teachers.

If it is still over your head, I give up.

And no, I wasn't home schooled and yes I had teachers that had no business being in the classroom.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Let's for a moment imagine that someone new who knew nothing about homeschooling landed on this thread and read through it. Based solely on the misspellings (shudder) and absence of rationality displayed by the folks in here who are defending homeschooling, well, let's just say he would not think homeschooling is anything he/she would want.
Considering the vast majority of posters on here were PUBLIC school taught, I don't think your visitors would have a very high opinion about public school teachers.

Most of them make blanket statements with very little experience with kids who have been home schooled.

Example,

From DV 133 "Homeschooling is silly. Public schools teach one how to interact with people in the real world."

Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"“Home-schooling programs cannot provide the student with a
comprehensive education experience,” according to the

National
Education Association,
one of the largest and most powerful unions in the United States.
Reaffirmed recently at the NEA’s annual convention, the statement was originally published as part of

Resolution B-68,
adopted in 1988.

NEA vs. home schools

NEA Resolution

"B-75. Home Schooling
The National Education Association believes that
home schooling programs based on parental choice
cannot provide the student with a comprehensive
education experience. When home schooling occurs,
students enrolled must meet all state curricular
requirements, including th
e taking and passing of
assessments to ensure adequate academic progress. Ho
me schooling should be limited to the children of
the immediate family, with all expenses being borne by
the parents/guardians. Instruction should be by
persons who are licensed by the appropriate state e
ducation licensure agency, and a curriculum approved
by the state department of education should be used.
The Association also believes that home-school
ed students should not participate in any
extracurricular activities in the public schools.
The Association further believes that local public
school systems should have the authority to
determine grade placement and/or credits earned towa
rd graduation for students entering or re-entering
the public school setting from a home school setting. (1988, 2006)"

http://www.aeaonline.org/news/pdf/NEA%20Resolutions.pdf

NEA 2012 Resolution
"B-
. Home Schooling

The National Education Association believes that home schooling programs based on parental choice

cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience.
http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/nea-r...ns-2012-13.pdf

Touche!!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Romeike v. Holder

1. The Romeike family, a devout Christian family who fled to the United States from Germany in 2008, has sought asylum in an effort to freely homeschool their six children.

2. U.S. law states that individuals can qualify for asylum if they can prove they are being persecuted because of their religious beliefs or because they are members of a particular social group. In 2010, the Romeike family was granted political asylum by an Immigration Judge n 2010.

3. U.S. Immigration and Custom Enforcement agency challenged the decision that has granted the Romeikes asylum, claiming that homeschoolers are not a particular social group because they don’t meet certain legal standards, and the home-schooled population is too vague and amorphous to constitute a social group.

4. Representing the U.S. Immigration and Custom Enforcement agency, the Department of Justice contended that the Romeikes’ case failed to show there was any religious discrimination because, among other reasons, the Romeikes didn’t prove that all homeschoolers are religious and that not all Christians believe they had to homeschool.

5. I’d like to see/read the comments being attributed to the Attorney General in their entirety and context in which they were made. I don’t think he has said the things whined about.

5. The extremist, Religious-right and general RWNJ community once again exaggerates the issues and their importance.

Here’s a perspective of the case/issue the OP chose not to include … which, when read with the earlier material provides some context and background:

Why HSLDA is Wrong about Romeike v. Holder
Thank you for the back story, here. Holder's comments were taken out of context and used to play on the fears of parents who home school.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Homeschooling is silly. Public schools teach one how to interact with people in the real world. In the real world being charming or having a good golf swing can be more important than being the smartest person in the room.
This may come as a surprise to you, but many home schooled kids are very well socialized via community activities, home schooling co-ops, volunteer work, and/or living in a neighborhood full of kids they play with on a regular basis. They play on soccer teams, Little League teams, and even sometimes compete on local public school teams (yes, it's true!).

Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This would be nothing more than sinister indoctrination.
In the past, Obama said he was prepared to help students escape from bad public schools by considering school vouchers. But he now toes the anti-voucher party line and thus the special interest of the Democratic Party’s biggest funding and activist base, the National Education Association.

The guide to the political left

Again, choices taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies