Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I'm smarter than any K-12 teacher I've ever been taught by or spoken with in private to date. Standard across the board? I'm going to pass on the quality specimens that have been pumped out of schools by the system and keep with my own curriculum which is far superior.

Obtaining a teaching degree is akin to obtaining your drivers license. Standing line waiting, pay your dues and get your license to indoctrinate and teach illogical, fantasy propositions that hold as much water as a thimble.

The above post ^^^^ is a perfect example of how homeschooling mothers think, speak,and what they believe. This is precisely the sort of thinking which leads them to remove their children from real life, stick them under their skirts until they're 18, after which they will remove the kid from under their skirts, and set them loose into a world they've not been exposed to by themselves, having had only mommy supply them with their every thought, a world they have never had to handle alone even for 30 minutes without mommy on the sidelines, and into which they're entering rather maladjusted and unequipped for. To make matters worse, by 18, the crucial time for having gotten used to the real world is by then long past.

To justify their "superior" abilities (in what? turning out maladjusted kids?) homeschooling mothers flap their jaws a good deal about how teaching is nothing, teaching is easy, anyone can teach, anyone can get a degree, teachers are bad, but they (the homeschooling mothers) are simply fabulous teachers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSummer2013 View Post
I have met a few people who were homeschooled and all of them are college graduates. In all honesty, they tend to do better than those educated in public schools, because the children receive one on one instruction. I certainly plan to homeschool my child.

Note that every homeschooled child has to pass the same state administered exams as everyone else, so I really don't see why homeschooling is criticized.
Let's assume for a moment that the kids are able to get up to speed scholastically with the SAME MATERIAL they are exposed to in school, okay? They have spent all their life with mommy, away from the real world (where other kids are learning how to handle the real world), and have been isolated with mommy until suddenly they're THRUST into the real world (which school kids by then already know how to handle) and by then it's just a bit too late to learn how to be socially savvy.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I see little reason to stand in the way of parents who want to home educate, and while I agree that the extant home schooling population in my area is mostly Christian (and to some extent Jewish), I am personally familiar with several thriving secular home school organizations.* Furthermore, I do not believe that there is only one way to educate a child nor do I believe that most home schooled children are deprived of age appropriate, healthy social interaction. Most states, including mine, have grade level standards for home schoolers and evaluation requirements that ensure parent educators are providing at least the basics.

*At one time, because of frequent career relocations, our firmly agnostic family considered home schooling. In the end, our children were enrolled in public school, although my husband and I are what could be called active "after schoolers." Believe me, even in a good district, kids sometimes don't get the attention they need in class. I spend hours and hours every week reviewing and critiquing my kids' writing assignments, while my husband spends an equal amount of time helping them with math. And once again today I am at the library picking up books to support their science and history studies.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-09-2013 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 PM

511 posts, read 491,355 times
Complex thinking required to understand sarcasm - seattlepi.com

Old 05-10-2013, 04:28 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Let's assume for a moment that the kids are able to get up to speed scholastically with the SAME MATERIAL they are exposed to in school, okay? They have spent all their life with mommy, away from the real world (where other kids are learning how to handle the real world), and have been isolated with mommy until suddenly they're THRUST into the real world (which school kids by then already know how to handle) and by then it's just a bit too late to learn how to be socially savvy.

HAHAHAHA ! "Get up to speed with public school material". You are joking, right ? Most, if not all, home-schoolers exceed that material in their first few yrs.

I'm curious, why does it get you so worked-up, and all abrasive, over how strangers go about educating their own children ??? Are they causing you harm, persecuting you, or interfering with your rights somehow ? If not, then it's nunyabizness. Unless you're a statist.

Urban Dictionary: statist

Btw, would you mind explaining how a public school/classroom is "the real world" ??? One needs to posses critical thinking skills for "real life" situations. How are those skills being taught in a public school ?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There are standards of education that should be adhered to.

I can see some of your families did not adhere to standards when they educated (?) you.
How about you quit forcing your standards on everyone else. The earth isn't flat.
Run your own life as you see fit and quit ordering others around. You don't own someone elses kids.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post

Btw, would you mind explaining how a public school/classroom is "the real world" ???
omg. You are kidding me, right?

Schools put other kids in contact with other kids, kids that will be the adults in the real world, and you're asking that question???? WTF? What's so hard to understand about kids having to socialize with PEERS because they will be living in the real world and trying to function in it, and if they don't learn, they will not "pick it up" later??

Or do you homeschoolers have some new idea for creating your own tiny controlled world in which you'll stick all your unsocialized kids?

Sheesh.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Saritaschihuahuah,

The "real world" is a really big place - and is not limited to the classroom.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Saritaschihuahuah,

The "real world" is a really big place - and is not limited to the classroom.
It boils down to this. Most of the population of kids is exposed to other kids most of the weekday days. They are learning to socialize, and make their way through the circus that is life, and they're learning it from the ground up, from childhood on, with their peers. This is something that isn't learned in isolation with the nuclear family with the occasional tiny spurt of scheduled contact.

Kids having contact with other kids in school is particularly important because ours is an isolated society. People in the U.S. has grown increasingly isolated over history - isolated in the sense that it's just the nuclear family and other social contact is sporadic. Back "in the day" when kids received their schooling sparingly and once in a while at home (if the parents had some form of education), there were communities and kids were in constant contact with their peers anyway. Not so now. Now, everyone lives in relative isolation. If school is taken from kids, they grow up in isolation, no matter how many scheduled "social activities" there might be.

Homeschooling adds infinitely more isolation to kids' lives by denying the child the opportunity to be with peers all day long. It also denies kids the opportunity for kids to exercise their own decision making rather than be stuck at home with mommy, where every decision is decided by mom, commented on by mom, overseen by her, etc. In homeschooling there's a parental noose around kids' necks. This attitude that the mom standing by saying, "Nono, you decide!" just doesn't cut it. Kids need to learn how to function, and waiting until they're out of the kid years and into adulthood denies them. It's like keeping a child from learning to speak until he's older. It's not right.

Some kids should be kept at home - for example, kids that will not be able to function in the outside world and will require the care of others. Kids that are within normal functioning - no.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
omg. You are kidding me, right?

Schools put other kids in contact with other kids, kids that will be the adults in the real world, and you're asking that question???? WTF? What's so hard to understand about kids having to socialize with PEERS because they will be living in the real world and trying to function in it, and if they don't learn, they will not "pick it up" later??

Or do you homeschoolers have some new idea for creating your own tiny controlled world in which you'll stick all your unsocialized kids?

Sheesh.
So in the "real world" we only interact with our peers ? Is that what you're saying ? Uhhh, what drugs are you on !

I'm old, and I am still able to learn something new everyday. What I've learned today, sweetie, is that you do not have the first clue when it comes to the fundamentals of home schooling. Give it up already, your repugnance for home schooling is redundant and just plain weird.

No offense, but in real life if I had to socialize with you...I wouldn't. That makes me socially savvy...savvy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies