U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM

29,362 posts, read 17,507,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
All religion does is insult people.
Catholics also rape kids.
I don't know anyone trying to defend the catholic church except for you.
I'm just shocked you aren't blaming the jews for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 AM

772 posts, read 595,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
No pics....

thread fail
http://25.media.tumblr.com/8def20eda...beejo1_400.jpg

Old 05-03-2013, 11:44 AM

1,565 posts, read 829,409 times
I guess whatever the law says about public nudity should be enforced, depending on any mitgating or aggravating factors. I'd say that since it occurred during an arts parade and apparently was intended to promote a political message rather than serving 'no artistic or educational purpose and soley for the prurient interest', or whatever the usual definition of obscenity is, that is a mitigating factor.

The fact that she dressed as a religious figure is wholly irrelevant - it may offend some people, and in their religious context violate a community standard, but religious figures have no protected legal status regarding parody or speech. At least, they do not usually enjoy such status outside of theocratic-type governments, usually in the Muslim world...

Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM

5,685 posts, read 2,260,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Has anyone else heard about the woman at CMU who walked in a parade dressed as the Pope? Im not sure if it is just a local Pittsburgh story. She was naked from the waist down and shaved her bush into the shape of a cross.

I am not a Catholic and I consider myself Liberal but this story really got on my nerves! She said it was a statement against the Pope and the child sex abuse scandal but I don't buy it. I think she is just some spoiled unstable girl that was looking for attention. And how pathetic do you have to be to walk in a parade naked just to get attention? She could have made her point by showing up fully dressed as the Pope and handing out condoms.

The university is contemplating disciplinary action at this point. I think she should be expelled. The parade was a school function. What she did was very disrespectful and I'm not talking about the pope but disrespectful to Catholics. It is wrong to mock anyone's religious beliefs no matter what they are or how much you don't believe in them. I would be just offenede if she was mocking Methodist, Budhist, Muslims, Jews etc. And what if it was a man that does that next time at CMU? I'm sure everyone would be outraged but he should have as much right to walk around with his monkey hanging out as her!

From the link which appeared later, it was reported that the young woman was in a fine arts parade on campus, not a parade down Main Street. She was dressed as the Pope from the waist up, and did throw condoms to the crowd. Twenty years ago there was a public kerfluffle about Andres Serrano's "**** Christ" and the boldly homoerotic photography of Robert Mapplethorpe. There is always tension between art and public opinion. Serrano meant for his work to ememplify the fine line between the sacred and the profane; this young woman is simply following in the footsteps of artists before her. It would be the rare poster indeed who would contend that nudity and semi-nudity haven't always been a part of our cultural heritage.

The **** CHRIST controversy by Damien Casey@Arts & Opinion

Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM

9,244 posts, read 3,119,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
There is no debate.
Glad you think your so superior.

Quote:
But, if any poster is going to use gods as support for their argument then it is totally acceptable to call that evidence into question, as I would with any other type of support.
Seems that is more of an importance of your debate than the thread......all you are showing is your hate for religion and not seeing we should lead by example and not by being trashy about the way we protest. The left seems to have a hard time when it comes to making a stand!

I disagree with a lot of religious views, but to show tit for tat is no way to win a debate, at least not in this issue.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 402,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Glad you think your so superior.
It's "you're".
I don't believe that I'm superior. I believe that the rational argument is superior.

Quote:
I disagree with a lot of religious views, but to show tit for tat is no way to win a debate, at least not in this issue.
I asked for evidence regarding the poster's position.
None has been offered.
How is that not a way to win a debate?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM

9,244 posts, read 3,119,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
A brain is a certain body part. I'd say it's also private, since it's quite difficult for anyone to see.
Try using your grown up words.
Some how people don't seem to be talking much about her brain! ........or the issue at hand, now just what is she protesting.....the pope shouldn't wear clothes?

Quote:
You don't understand logic or scientific process do you?
Science is just that! By the way they're not all secular scientist.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM

8,348 posts, read 3,256,718 times
meh- there are always a few show-offs in every parade. Some people are just inordinately proud of their equipment.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 479,956 times
What an odd thread this turned out to be.

I'm actually surprised by how many people defend nudity in a parade. I always felt I was about as liberal as they come, but c'mon. I love women, I love their bodies, but if I was a father and I brought my kid to a parade I'd be pissed if I saw some person walking around exposing their genitalia.

Of course, it's CD and any time a post refers to religion people are gonna jump on that. Everyone has their own faith, some believe that God created the universe, some people believe that nothing created the universe. It all comes down to the fact that everyone accepts that the universe had a beginning and you can believe that everything came from absolute nothing, or you can believe that an omnipotent being created it. Both are far fetched and there is no concrete proof of either, so all the bickering between creationists and evolutionists is really based on "my illogical belief is better than yours." It's childish, but childish is the name of the game on internet boards, nothing new.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM

1,565 posts, read 829,409 times
Well, she looks pretty conventially wholesome, and is pretty cute, and has a coherently rational explanation for why she did what she did, so I doubt the consequences will be too severe for her. She should just be glad she didn't do it in Russia - she'd be imprisoned with ***** Riot.

Putin seemed pleasantly amused when confronted with a topless protester in Germany not too long ago; he's a smile while he kills kind of chap, apparently. Angela Merkel was a little more visibly distressed by it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-Hanover.html

Any posters see the Pittsburgh parade live? I'm from Pittsburgh, but wasn't watching that parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies