Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

Israel has a booming economy - why should we subsidize them? They also continue to steal land from and murder Palestinian citizens with our aid. We are accomplices in their moral crimes against humanity. The award winning documentary '5 Broken Cameras' on Netflix tells the story of the criminal treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis.

Israel's booming economy puts billions in US aid under spotlight - World News

5 Broken Cameras | Academy Award Nominee Best Documentary Feature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Good question. I can't think of a good answer. I'm not aware that we gain anything at all from our aid, while our blank-check support clearly nets us enmity we would not otherwise have.

The argument for Israel as our place d'armes or bridgehead in the event of a Soviet drive across the Caucasus made some sort of sense in the 1960s and 70s. Now, I see no rationale whatsoever in the light of American national interest.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Ask not what Israeli aid can do for your country. Ask what pro-Israel donors can do for your congressman's re-election campaign.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Personally, I would be good with halting ALL foreign aid. All of it.

We can't pay our own bills. Time to stop pretneding we are the same country we were in 1950.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

We can't pay our own bills. Time to stop pretneding we are the same country we were in 1950.
Unfortunately, because of our oppressive foreign policy, we must buy our friends.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Ask not what Israeli aid can do for your country. Ask what pro-Israel donors can do for your congressman's re-election campaign.
As far as I can tell, that seems to be the answer. Remove the lobbyists and perhaps the taxpayer can catch a break.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Israel has a booming economy - why should we subsidize them? They also continue to steal land from and murder Palestinian citizens with our aid. We are accomplices in their moral crimes against humanity. The award winning documentary '5 Broken Cameras' on Netflix tells the story of the criminal treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I also support ending, or at least severely curtailing, all foreign aid across the board.

However, when people like the OP get so emotional about ending aid to Israel, and don't seem to care at all about foreign aid to other countries - or even in some cases support it - it seems that they don't really care about the waste of money and instead have other agendas on their mind.

To the OP's credit he at least pretty much admitted this so he isn't intellectually dishonest, but, all the people who foam at the mouth about the wastefulness of aid to Israel despite not caring whatsoever about the fact that we also give a huge amount (~$2 billion annually, versus ~$3 for Israel) to Egypt right next door and get even less out of it, well..........

Old 04-27-2013, 01:02 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I also support ending, or at least severely curtailing, all foreign aid across the board.

However, when people like the OP get so emotional about ending aid to Israel, and don't seem to care at all about foreign aid to other countries - or even in some cases support it - it seems that they don't really care about the waste of money and instead have other agendas on their mind.

To the OP's credit he at least pretty much admitted this so he isn't intellectually dishonest, but, all the people who foam at the mouth about the wastefulness of aid to Israel despite not caring whatsoever about the fact that we also give a huge amount (~$2 billion annually, versus ~$3 for Israel) to Egypt right next door and get even less out of it, well..........

As I've pointed out before, the people who complain about spending $3 billion each year supporting Israel seem to have no problem with the rest of the $4+ trillion we spend.

The bottom line is that they hate Jews.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:08 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

A week. Its already a week since your last Israel bashing post. You're getting softer with the years...
This post is nothing. PM me and we'll find something sensational. Maybe a conspiracy. Something about the Mossad - (they must be behind the Boston bombings and the chemical weapons in Syria).

Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
As I've pointed out before, the people who complain about spending $3 billion each year supporting Israel seem to have no problem with the rest of the $4+ trillion we spend.

The bottom line is that they hate Jews.
That's what it comes down to. You never see the same ones fussing over money going to Islamic radicals in Egypt, Syria and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies