Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Thanks for confirming that you don't know what the issue actually is, yet you're still talking about it.
Perhaps you could enlighten me, then? You do note I said "If".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
They are, for the most part, Obama supporters. They are getting what they deserve. Votes have consequences.

I used to donate quite a bit of money to the United Way and funded high school and college scholarships to disadvantaged students. I pulled everything after Obama was re-elected.

Be careful when you vote.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
There is nothing wrong with college degrees. There is something wrong if the degree requires debt. We need to get away from the "debt is good mentality" even for an education. My advice to a high school grad today is that if you can't go to college without a student loan, then it is probably best to work your way through a community college or just not go at all. Also, if you are totally clueless as to what you really want, maybe work a couple years and then go to school. I see so many people my age who hate their jobs or are deep in debt because they just didn't know what they were doing at 18.

Getting a general studies degree because you are told you have to go to college is not a good idea.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,760,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Maybe they should have thougfht about that before voting for Obama, the country and job killer.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I thought the liberals thought the economy was doing better than ever and Obama is some form of god? Well either way, hope they enjoy having their kids in the basement will into their 30's...

Old 05-05-2013, 03:27 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Cant beg borrow or steal a Carpenter around here.I was working 6 10 hour days but switched to 7 9 hour days to keep my clients happy for a while. College aint for everyone learn a trade and start your own business after 10 years and make a great living.Good at math and have artistic talent become a Carpenter and stop believing that you need a degree to get a job or to even work junk,it aint true.Me I retire in 1 and a half years and no one but Mexican hacks to replace me so my phone will never stop ringing. guess I'll work till I drop with my little high school diploma.
There, boys and girls, is the answer to part of the problem!
So, ya wanna make a good living? LEARN A TRADE!
Pressure vessel and pipeline certified welders are in high demand.
Auto mechanics/diesel mechanics/body repairmen/painters are in high demand.
Airframe and Power plant mechanics (A&P mechanics) are still in fairly high demand.
Pipefitters/plumbers are in high demand.
Millwrights are in high demand.
Carpenters, both rough and finish are in high demand.
There is a pretty good need for bricklayers.
Drywall installers make good money.
There is an on-going demand for nurses and CNA's.

Yes, one CAN live a good life withOUT a BS or Masters or PHD, and without thousands of dollars in student loan debt! However, one MUST be willing to work for it, be willing to get dirty, and work hard for success! It won't be easy, but it CAN be done!

Old 05-05-2013, 04:39 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I thought the liberals thought the economy was doing better than ever and Obama is some form of god? Well either way, hope they enjoy having their kids in the basement will into their 30's...
Yep-

gay marriage, Obamacare, global warming, and "abortion rights" don't mean a damn thing when you are destitute.

I think it is a good thing that these liberals are able to taste some unemployment, poverty and despair, delivered by their own foolish political ideology (which predictably produces these results) and a flawed leader who has no economic solutions.

A good dose of liberalism may cure future generations of such idiocy.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They train the foreigners , why not the Americans? No difference other than cheaper labor.
Well that one difference cost is the foundation of the American Way and is looked at as being necessary and sufficent for sucess. Also , another equally important factor is young American collegians just have BAD ATTITUDE! The think they are doing their employer a favor by merely showing up and doing the bare minimum to do the job, they do think the world revolves around them and they don't take criticism constructive or otherwise well. As far as the subject matter their grasp of the basics of physical science and mathematics is as if they stopped learning those subjects in high school. This last point is were we are really getting killed by students of the top Chinese, Korean, Indian Polytechnics and Institutes.

Lastly America is a little place when you compare it to China or India each with 5 people for every one American. The American market is saturated with Bill Gates product and if he wants future sucess he can't afford to let a Chinese or Indian answer to Microsoft in his industry push him out of the industrail arena. If a Chinese or Indian Microsoft like industry emerges he knows he has to own a large piece of it. Have you ever watched a Sumo match?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:33 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Millions of college grads have made assinine decisions, both in choice of course material and in borrowing ridiculous amounts in student loans. Makes you wonder if they really had the brains for postsecondary education. Some people are really only qualified to push a broom. Face it, a society can't progress without its toilet cleaners, street sweepers, burger flippers, prostitutes, and bedpan changers. That never will change. And the grads who made one bad decision after another will learn how to do these things. I made a few screwball college decisions, but I almost completely self-funded college. When I got out, one my jobs was portapotty servicer. Eventually my brains that made those faulty decisions bettered me in life, but I had a dues-paying period. This generation will have its period, too.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Millions of college grads have made assinine decisions, both in choice of course material and in borrowing ridiculous amounts in student loans. Makes you wonder if they really had the brains for postsecondary education. Some people are really only qualified to push a broom. Face it, a society can't progress without its toilet cleaners, street sweepers, burger flippers, prostitutes, and bedpan changers. That never will change. And the grads who made one bad decision after another will learn how to do these things. I made a few screwball college decisions, but I almost completely self-funded college. When I got out, one my jobs was portapotty servicer. Eventually my brains that made those faulty decisions bettered me in life, but I had a dues-paying period. This generation will have its period, too.
Robots will eventually will be doing all those jobs you listed. Except prostitutes maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies