U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:00 PM
 
78,749 posts, read 33,503,872 times
Reputation: 15772

Advertisements

On the question of why Bard students were involved in the classes, Zahedi said they were trained in peer counseling. But one woman pointed out that the peer counseling was likely meant for dorm-room situations, not eighth-graders.

Zahedi agreed that including the Bard student email addresses on the flyer was a mistake. While the students thought they were doing the right thing, the school didn’t want the dialogue to be ongoing, she said.


14 year olds are not their peers. What is appropriate for college students is not for middle schoolers. The principle seems to be agreeing with that in the end.

Parents confront Red Hook school officials over controversial presentation to 8th graders | The Red Hook / Rhinebeck Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 PM
 
8,100 posts, read 4,996,080 times
Reputation: 1578
The fact that the workshop focused on the aspect of a homosexual advance is even WORSE than an actual kiss...

Because what they are doing here is trying to condition an environment that is conducive to tolerating homosexual advances. It's pure propaganda.

Think about it....how many times have you heard somebody say "I'm OK with somebody being homosexual...as long as they don't make any advances at me"

that is a pure example of normative ethics at work and they are trying to tear these down. Only a fool would NOT identify this as an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 PM
 
Location: TX
6,491 posts, read 5,234,707 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
No, I didn't contradict myself at all....the efforts of raising a baby apart from the PHYSICAL aspects is something that takes a long time.
Perhaps we have different standards, but there is actually a TON of information on taking care of just a baby's physical needs if you want to do the absolute best job possible; it most certainly could fill at least a semester. Do you have a problem with this being mandatory? If so, I think you have some very odd priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Yes...and I have a huge problem with History.
To quote weltschmerz... "Wow."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
It means....people that have values in line with a tight knit family of strong values will provide a stronger foundation on which to nurture their child...as ipposed to some teacher that they wouldn't know from a hole in the wall.
I STILL can't find a coherent statement in there. Best I can tell, you're saying that family members will do a better job of teaching a kid right from wrong than a teacher just because the teacher doesn't have as much stake in how the kid turns out and doesn't know them as well and/or the student doesn't know the teacher well. While I agree that certain lessons on right and wrong are not universal/verifiable enough to be taught in the classroom, there's really no evidence that parents do a better job at it than teachers, on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
It might work best for children that came from single parent homes with mothers whose priorities are out of whack..or from dysfunctional homes....

But why should upstanding parents and households have to fall on the sword because there are so many losers in the nation?
Wait a second. What might work best for children in group A? I just used the phrase "certain values". If you think kids in group A might benefit from these "certain values" being taught in school, where's the problem with reiterating those same values to kids from "upstanding parents"? To put it another way... What "sword" are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I've defended my argument very well...and you addressed it below...which I will tear apart in one second...

While we are at it....I am a father of 3....how many children do YOU have?
You're going to tear your argument apart? Well go ahead, I'm waiting. And I have just one kid, who's still a toddler. Too bad this doesn't cinch the debate for you, eh? Still gotta go over those cumbersome points and counterpoints *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Who says it's wrong to discriminate against anybody for any or no reason???
History. Now I understand why you hate that class, though. You see, we've learned from history (well, most of us anyway) that it does no good to discriminate against people without damn good reason which must also be true. We learned that this can lead to needless violence which will surely affect both the minority AND the majority, destroy far more than it builds. I am of course speaking of racism and the bigotry we saw in Nazi Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Again, is this a value or no? You typed all that and absolutely made no point except this is how most people PREFER things to be.

The justification is what?
I suppose you could say the value and the justification is life and the concern FOR it. But this is a biological need, not a value. Not an idea. We couple this logic with the knowledge I gave you a small example of, and BINGO: We come up with a discovery... While others amongst us make up ideas they cannot support with neither logic nor knowledge...

Second's up. And you have done a wonderful job tearing your argument apart

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 05-05-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
20,331 posts, read 10,437,970 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Except it was a gay agenda....

#1 why was it not co-ed?

#2 why was it not about self defense but "acceptance" and "anti bullying"

#3 why weren't parents notified and allowed to opt out?
#1 because MOST sex ed type classes are separated by gender.

#2
Quote:
Bard College spokesman Mark Primoff said the students were volunteers who were invited by the middle school to give a workshop on communication.

Effective in July, the Dignity for All Students Act represents the state’s effort to create a safe and supportive environment, free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment and bullying.

Finch said that Linden Avenue Principal Katie Zahedi and guidance counselors worked with a group of Bard students to develop the workshop, including role-playing on how to say no to unwanted social pressures.
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/a...-edge-Red-Hook
The class was a workshop on communication. Saying no to unwanted advances IS communication.

#3. I don't know. Ask the school admin. The superintendent DID say that in the future there will be notification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
20,331 posts, read 10,437,970 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
The fact that the workshop focused on the aspect of a homosexual advance is even WORSE than an actual kiss...

Because what they are doing here is trying to condition an environment that is conducive to tolerating homosexual advances. It's pure propaganda.

Think about it....how many times have you heard somebody say "I'm OK with somebody being homosexual...as long as they don't make any advances at me"

that is a pure example of normative ethics at work and they are trying to tear these down. Only a fool would NOT identify this as an agenda.
NO ONE said homosexual UNTIL the Christian news site got a hold of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 PM
 
3,448 posts, read 2,677,219 times
Reputation: 478
The teachers encouraged and as well in this < participated, -deliberately causing a sexual environment

"together with youngsters".

They broke the law and belong behind bars without delay, including who they report to and right up the ladder, jail time. An adult is responsible for their actions. Facts are facts . There is no defense, they are guilty. Time for teachers to learn a lesson.

Last edited by stargazzer; 05-05-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
20,331 posts, read 10,437,970 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
The teachers fully encouraged and as well participated and deliberately caused a sexual environment

"together with youngsters".

They broke the law and belong behind bars without delay, including who they report to and right up the ladder, jail time. An adult is responsible for their actions.
They didn't DO anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
 
78,749 posts, read 33,503,872 times
Reputation: 15772
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
NO ONE said homosexual UNTIL the Christian news site got a hold of the story.
The local news story I posted above mentions it and it was written almost 2 weeks before the CBN story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM
 
3,448 posts, read 2,677,219 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They didn't DO anything.
They are in charge...if they said this and that...have protected sex in front of me...then what, they still did not do anything > As u can see there is no defense, they belong in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM
 
78,749 posts, read 33,503,872 times
Reputation: 15772
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
They are in charge...if they said this and that...have protected sex in front of me...then what, they still did not do anything > As u can see there is no defense, they belong in jail.
Where in the world did you get that from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top