Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 05:20 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If homosexual sex is discussed in schools, then that more than ample evidence there's a gay agenda.
Nonsense. It's nowhere near sufficient evidence to support the wacko claim of a "gay agenda". Depending on what you mean by "homosexual sex is discussed in schools", it only shows that some schools out there are crossing the line.

Quote:
Homo sex is not normal, should not be accepted as normal, and should not be taught as normal.
Define "normal", tell me why it matters that something is "normal" before it can be considered ok, and acceptance of homosexuality SHOULD be taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
If homosexual sex is discussed in schools, then that more than ample evidence there's a gay agenda. Homo sex is not normal, should not be accepted as normal, and should not be taught as normal. Get your head out of the sand.
Ah, I see. I guess there's also a math agenda, a science agenda, a geography agenda and a English literature agenda.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Why should the education of our youth be limited to what their parents can teach them about taking care of a baby? This doesn't have much to do with values; it's a rather practical thing. I just don't see how the paranoia can stretch that far.
Exactly what class would this be taught in? Are we talking about the physical duties of raising a baby? Well...it takes about 5 minutes to show somebody how to change a diaper, hold a bottle and feed one...maybe another 5 to give them a bath...

What else?

Sorry but if you are extending this a classroom setting on a regular basis, eventually it's going to overreach into planting seeds. In addition, if it's a one time demonstration...then it's a waste of time and a drain on resources. The efforts of raising a baby cannot be confined to a single workshop or two. It's a perpetual process and one that has tons of onvthe job training. And the role of nurturing is one that comes from values passed down.

I'm sure you would agree that an abused child is much more likely to continue the vicious cycle than one who wasn't.

Quote:
Everything is everyone's business. But I can understand not wanting the school to promote certain values that should not necessarily be universal (liberalism, conservativism, religion, etc.). However, taking proper care of a baby (as well as the general idea of turning a sexual advance down until you're at least out of high school) are just plain great ideas. We can disagree on exactly HOW these things should be taught, but if we agree they should be taught, why not make SURE they're taught to EVERYONE? I just don't see the need to shield children from the truth just because we've made up the idea that it's not someone else's "place" to teach it.
Everything is everyones business? That is perhaps one of the mose awful things I've ever read on CD. Was it just a rhetorical statement? I mean how can that be taken any other way but exactly what it means....

We make up ideas everyday....that's what tolerance for homosexuality is, isn't? The made up idea that they should be treated equally in society.

That's what values are....preference....how we choose to live AND how we prefer people to live.

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 05-05-2013 at 05:40 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
We make up ideas everyday....that's what tolerance for homosexuality is, isn't? The made up idea that they should be treated equally in society.

Wow.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Wow.
Please....feel free to make any objective statement at anytime.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Exactly what class would this be taught in? Are we talking about the physical duties of raising a baby? Well...it takes about 5 minutes to show somebody how to change a diaper, hold a bottle and feed one...maybe another 5 to give them a bath...

What else?

Sorry but if you are extending this a classroom setting on a regular basis, eventually it's going to overreach into planting seeds. In addition, if it's a one time demonstration...then it's a waste of time and a drain on resources. The efforts of raising a baby cannot be confined to a single workshop or two. It's a perpetual process and one that has tons of onvthe job training.
Contradict yourself much? There's actually a TON of things to learn about taking care of a baby; you got it right the second time, it takes a nice looooooong time to really get it down and absorb all the knowledge that would be helpful.

As for the fear that it would "eventually overreach into planting seeds", the same could be said for many subjects (e.g., history, economics, etc.) Worry that someone might try to indoctrinate your child is no reason to starve them of truly valuable information.

Quote:
And the role of nurturing is one that comes from values passed down.
I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

Quote:
I'm sure you would agree that an abused child is much more likely to continue the vicious cycle than one who wasn't.
Sure, what's your point again? It almost sounds as if you are arguing in favor of schools promoting certain values now...

Quote:
Everything is everyones business? That is perhaps one of the mose awful things I've ever read on CD. Was it just a rhetorical statement? I mean how can that be taken any other way but exactly what it means....
Lol, I don't know, but YOU seem to have it down. It means that everyone has a stake in how everyone else turns out. What one person does can and will affect someone else, however indirectly. People who say "It's none of your business" are really saying "I can't defend my argument, so I'll get defensive of MYSELF".

Quote:
When knowledge is combined with logic and this precedes an idea, it's not made up, it's discovered. It's like adding 2 and 2 to find 4 inevitably there at the end. For example, we knew it was wrong to discriminate against someone for no good, verifiable reason before we even got on the subject of gay marriage as a society. The realization that gays should be allowed to marry naturally followed prior knowledge (among civilized people, anyway). Both "Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry because marriage is between a man and a woman" and "You shouldn't be the one to teach my kid this because it isn't your place" are entirely made up ideas, in that both the idea and the justification for it are exactly the same. No knowledge to precede them; they're just made up out of thin air!

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 05-05-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Contradict yourself much? There's actually a TON of things to learn about taking care of a baby; you got it right the second time, it takes a nice looooooong time to really get it down and absorb all the knowledge that would be helpful.
No, I didn't contradict myself at all....the efforts of raising a baby apart from the PHYSICAL aspects is something that takes a long time.

I don't want the state telling my children how to nurture their children....period.

Quote:
As for the fear that it would "eventually overreach into planting seeds", the same could be said for many subjects (e.g., history, economics, etc.) Worry that someone might try to indoctrinate your child is no reason to starve them of truly valuable information.
Yes...and I have a huge problem with History...but you're now making logical fallacies because just because one subject like the revisionist history we teach in schools is DOWNRIGHT AWFUL doesn't mean that we let more downright awful curriculum slipstream into the pipeline...

Quote:
I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.
It means....people that have values in line with a tight knit family of strong values will provide a stronger foundation on which to nurture their child...as ipposed to some teacher that they wouldn't know from a hole in the wall.

Quote:
Sure, what's your point again? It almost sounds as if you are arguing in favor of schaools promoting certain values now...
It might work best for children that came from single parent homes with mothers whose priorities are out of whack..or from dysfunctional homes....

But why should upstanding parents and households have to fall on the sword because there are so many losers in the nation?

Quote:
Lol, I don't know, but YOU seem to have it down. It means that everyone has a stake in how everyone else turns out. What one person does can and will affect someone else, however indirectly. People who say "It's none of your business" are really saying "I can't defend my argument, so I'll get defensive of MYSELF".
I've defended my argument very well...and you addressed it below...which I will tear apart in one second...

While we are at it....I am a father of 3....how many children do YOU have?

Quote:
When knowledge is combined with logic and this precedes an idea, it's not made up, it's discovered. It's like adding 2 and 2 to find 4 inevitably there at the end. For example, we knew it was wrong to discriminate against someone for no good, verifiable reason before we even got on the subject of gay marriage as a society. The realization that gays should be allowed to marry naturally followed prior knowledge (among civilized people, anyway). Both "Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry because marriage is between a man and and woman" and "You shouldn't be the one to teach my kid this because it isn't your place" are entirely made up ideas, in that both the idea and the justification for it are exactly the same. No knowledge to precede them; they're just made up out of thin air!
Who says it's wrong to discriminate against anybody for any or no reason?? Again, is this a value or no? You typed all that and absolutely made no point except this is how most people PREFER things to be.

The justification is what?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ah. So how is that a gay agenda?
It isn't. The "Christian" news site is trying to make more of it than actually happened.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Except it was a gay agenda....

#1 why was it not co-ed?

#2 why was it not about self defense but "acceptance" and "anti bullying"

#3 why weren't parents notified and allowed to opt out?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:58 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,472,970 times
How come this place isn't just called Troll Heaven. Most thread titles scream "troll!!!!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies