Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Abby View Post
We are all descended from immigrants.
Yep, mine grandparents followed the law and immigrated legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
I don't know where I would begin. When you look at a disaster, where do you start? I guess I would start with the tax system in this country. It is a mess. Keep the payroll SS and Medicare tax, dump the rest of the system and go to a VAT or a sales tax with a rebate scheme for basic purchases. We need to move to taxing consumption vs production. Then I would move on to education. I would institute 11 month school years with only the month of July off. I would raise teacher pay and limit teacher unions powers (I would not ban them though). I would also impose requirements on parents. Parents would be held responsible for what their kids do and do not do. Then I would move on from there trying to clean up this trainwreck of a country and get it on track again.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
I clearly don't have all the answers and don't pretend to. I think it all has to start with the election process. We need to take the power away from political parties, unions, corporations, and rich people. We need every house district to be redistricted to become competitive. We need an open primary where all candidates from all parties compete and if someone gets over half the vote they win and if not the top vote getters compete in a runoff election. We need to get as much money out of the process as possible so candidates represent their constituents and not their benefactors.

I think doing this first would help lead to better overall outcomes on all the issues we face.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
  • Ship EVERY illegal alien back, including their "birthright" babies; if you were a illegitimate "birthright" baby, you have to have a minimum of a college education to stay, and you have to prove YOU funded your education. http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • Make prisoners do the "jobs Americans (supposedly) won't do"http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • Welfare recipients are given only a certain amount and are to be actively in pursuit of employment; deadbeat dads get prison time in cases of prolonged impregnation - women who continue to produce babies illegitimately are either jailed or tubes tied (their choice). http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • Have a group of the brightest economists get together to examine and draft a path to a healthier economy. http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • Give more autonomy of states to do what they wish with their states.
    Lessen federal law on a number of social and economic issues.

This would be a good start.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
It is too late. We need a miracle to repair the damage.. so far gone we are in the realm of no return. The president works against our economy instead of strengthening it.. we are in for bad , very bad times to come.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Couple I forgot:

DRILL. Drill drill drill (for oil). We can be the world's foremost producer of oil, so there is no reason the most hurtful regressive tax (gas) should be crippling the average man.

Bring ALL our troops from around the world home once and for all.

Get out of the UN.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Cut all foreign aid and get out of the UN let them wine$dine at THE HAGUE ....quit getting involved in foreign wars...Term limits on Congress to keep things fresh and power lobby free...10% flat tax so everyone can pay their fair share and the government to live within their means....repeal of the HC Law and restructuring of SS Medicare.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
How would you restore america?

Like this......

The Canada Party - "Meet The Canada Party" - YouTube

Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
What would you do?

How would you do it?

Why would you do it?

Will post my list tomorrow, must clean my AR15, eat, and sleep...
Stop QE
Limit welfare
Put discipline back in schools
Limit immigration
End farm subsidies and institute some protective tarrifs
Make anti-sodomy laws constitutional which would effectively kill gay marriage.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:07 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Stop QE
Limit welfare
Put discipline back in schools
Limit immigration
End farm subsidies and institute some protective tarrifs
Make anti-sodomy laws constitutional which would effectively kill gay marriage.
I have one thing for you to consider. I understand you are the child of immigrant parents. You seem to favor limiting immigration. I want you to really think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies