U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM

160 posts, read 109,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
If Americans don't evolve with technology they will be left behind. The way the U.S. doesn't things is out dated, especially its schools.

Oh, do not worry. Gov't is extremely innovative in statistics instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM

286 posts, read 275,200 times
Wasting technology on "the greatest bullet" is a start

Old 05-04-2013, 02:49 PM

30,194 posts, read 16,510,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
vague comments like these are what upsets me, please name these taxes and these policies that you specifically disagree with.
Why do I have to do your research for you? Are you not capable of digging out your own information? Do you need to be spoon fed?

Here, for starters, if you aren't to lazy to read the list:

A 3.8% surtax on investment income from capital gains and dividends that applies to single filers earning more than $200,000 and married couples filing jointly earning more than $250,000.
A $50,000 excise tax on charitable hospitals that fail to meet new "community health assessment needs," "financial assistance" and other rules set by the Health and Human Services Dept.
A $24 billion tax on the paper industry to control a pollutant known as black liquor.
A $2.3 billion-a-year tax on drug companies.
A 10% excise tax on indoor tanning salons.
An $87 billion hike in Medicare payroll taxes for employees, as well as the self-employed.
A hike in the threshold for writing off medical expenses to 10% of adjusted gross income from 7.5%
A $60 billion tax on health insurers.
A 40% excise tax on so-called Cadillac, or higher cost, health insurance plans.
  1. Do you think these new taxes help businesses or do you think they hurt?
  2. Will this affect how many new employees they hire?
  3. How will this affect overall economic growth?
Quote:
with health coverage being an exemption at 7.5% of income, it more than compensates any possible tax increase you speak of.
So says you. We don't know that yet, do we? There is still a lot we don't know.

Quote:
It isnt 50 workers total, its 50 FULL TIME WORKERS and no one is forced to buy it, it simply has to be offered.
Until this legislation came along, most companies operated with full time employees, and full time was 40 hours/wk. Because of Obamacare's regulations and mandates, full time is now 30 hours/wk, which means that a lot of people have had their pay cut because of fewer hours. Additionally, many businesses have cut back in the number of employees to stay under 50.

Quote:
As for cutting hours, please, Wal Mart has been doing that for years.
We're not talking about Walmart. We are talking about businesses that regularly employ full time workers.

Quote:
Healthcare has gone up like clockwork every year from like 1990 to 2011 by 7%, this year it only went up by 4% even though 30 million more people where on healthcare roles than the previous year.
I think you have your facts wrong. Many have reported that their premiums have nearly doubled in the last two years, and it is expected that they will continue to "sky rocket," to use the phrase we have been hearing.

Quote:
You do realize that Obamacare is not government run healthcare right ? i feel conservatives have some kind of obligation to call everything government run, but why ?
It may not be "government run" to you; but, since the government is regulating and controlling every aspect of it, I don't know what else you would call it.

Quote:
Obamacare is a set of rules and regulations, not a new government owned company that will provide your health insurance.
Give it a few years, and private insurers will be out of business, and many doctors and hospitals will also be gone. They can't possibly survive with this system, and Obama himself told the SEIU that he "favors a single payer" system, "but we can't get their overnight." What does that sound like to you?

Old 05-04-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
So if Obamacare is government run healthcare, what is the name of this new company that will provide this healthcare ?
What is lacking in your cognitive ability? Why does it have to be linked to a "company name" in order for it to be government run? If the government is making the rules, and overseeing the implementation of those rules, and telling those private insurers that are currently still available what they must provide, and who they must cover, that sure smells like "government run" to me. It doesn't have to come with "GovernmentHealth Inc." attached to it. Either the Government is controlling it or it isn't. If it is, it is "government run." Period.

Quote:
And yes, it cost money to advertise healthcare, implementation, setting up exchanges, paying workers(even though im not paid,but im also not fully trained either),enforcement.

Obamacare wasnt signed into law until 2010. You have individually been screwed by your insurance company, when the exchanges are set up, i recommend you look at them and see if you qualify. If you would like, i can set you up with a member of OFA who is better qualified to help you with the situation. As i said, im not fully trained yet.
I should have guessed you were part of the claque! Hooray for Obama! Look at all the wonderful things he has done!

Will somebody please pull back that curtain and expose this fraud!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Who are these producers you refer to? The owner of a pizza franchise who has historically hired part time minimum wage or less workers and whines about Obamacare which has little to not impact on the business due to the PT nature of most employees?
You might be surprised to learn that there are other types of businesses operating in the land, and they do produce. But even the pizza shop owner is producing, even if you don't see it that way. Does the pizza shop owner not pay taxes? Do they not create jobs? And even if they are all part time, they are jobs that somebody needs.

Quote:
Was Welfare invented in January , 2009?
No, but it has certainly expanded exponentially since then, hasn't it?

Quote:
Or perhaps you mean Seniors who live off the dole? That group increased by 15% between 2000-2010. In 2011, 10,000 people a day began to turn 65 and this will continue for the next 20 years. Most probably pay no income taxes and receive SS and Medicare. Many are eligible for Section 8 vouchers and SNAP benefits.
Many who "live off the dole" these days are young, fully able bodied men and women, and those seniors who may be "living off the dole" have paid their dues, having worked all their lives and paying taxes (taxes besides SSI). I wouldn't be so quick, if I were you, to desparage these people. You are going to be old yourself one day. I hope your words above cross your mind when you reach that age.

Quote:
Then there are the disabled. Most of the applicants are between 50-64. While applications have seriously increased, the percentages approved continue to decline.

Or maybe you are referring to those low income folk who qualify for the Earned income Tax Credit, a benefit that began in the 80's.
The EIC was enacted in 1975 as an alternative to a plan proposed by Richard Nixon which failed to pass.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,803,382 times
Quote:
What is the original state of this economy you refer to?
Pre-recession state is what I meant. And you are right, in that the pre recession economies were anomalies driven by asset bubbles.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 PM

510 posts, read 358,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Lets be honest folks.

The economy will never be what it used to be prior to the recession. Things have changed. The entire economy has been restructured so that less workers are needed.

Every month we wait for a job report that is just going to release mediocre news. In April, there was good hiring, yes, but it was almost ALL part time work. And the U6 unemployment rate even increased last month!

Lets face it folks. This is the new normal. I want someone to say that isn't the case in this thread and provide evidence to their claim.

I voted for Obama twice! I do NOT regret my vote. There were huge political battles going on that I knew needed to be won. I WANTED Obamacare to survive. And It did. Me, and voters like me succeeded.

But in this term, I am less optimistic about what will happen under obama's second term. I think the unemployment stats will stay roughly where they are at. They won't change. I am thinking the statis quo is what to expect from here on out for the next four years.
Liberals are such weak, wimpy, declinist, defeatist, depressing idiots... The instant their ridiculous policies fail to "fix" a problem they declare things hopeless.

This is why we'd still be in a cold war with the Soviets if Carter had won a second term...

Here's a hint Traveler; to fix the economy we need to remove the people at the top who think like you.

Remove the choking hands of the the declinists, the anti-capitalists and the overt anti-Americans from our economy's collective neck.

Workers ARE needed. Just get rid of liberal Political Correctness. Stop with the Obama-style divide and conquer political warfare. Let people feel collectively proud of their country again so that a little sensible nationalism can seep into politics and with it the will to punish companies who abuse illegals, import cheap labor and outsource at the expense of domestic workers.

Liberals often give lip-service to these issues but it's -always- done in coordination with their larger disgusting agenda of remaking the country into a Progressive fantasyland(ie: Obamacare) via atomizing, dividing and enraging the people into manageable groups.

Last edited by FabianS; 05-04-2013 at 04:29 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,115,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Liberals are such weak, wimpy, declinist, defeatist, depressing idiots... The instant their ridiculous policies fail to "fix" a problem they declare things hopeless.

This is why we'd still be in a cold war with the Soviets if Carter had won a second term...

Here's a hint Traveler; to fix the economy we need to remove the people at the top who think like you.

Remove the choking hands of the the declinists, the anti-capitalists and the overt anti-Americans from our economy's collective neck.

Workers ARE needed. Just get rid of liberal Political Correctness. Stop with the Obama-style divide and conquer political warfare. Let people feel collectively proud of their country again so that a little sensible nationalism can seep into politics and with it the will to punish companies who abuse illegals, import cheap labor and outsource at the expense of domestic workers.

Liberals often give lip-service to these issues but it's -always- done in coordination with their larger disgusting agenda of remaking the country into a Progressive fantasyland(ie: Obamacare) via atomizing, dividing and enraging the people into manageable groups.
Haha. And you think Republicans would fix things? Republicans put our economy in this mess.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:43 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,267,081 times
The economy is actually doing quite well in terms of productivity and corporate profits. It's just that fewer and fewer workers are required to achieve those results - a trend that only looks set to accelerate in the future.

As long as people are in denial about that fact, or are unwilling to face it directly, we'll just have a whole lot more political sputtering and pointing, but no actual solutions.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM

286 posts, read 275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The economy is actually doing quite well in terms of productivity and corporate profits. It's just that fewer and fewer workers are required to achieve those results - a trend that only looks set to accelerate in the future.

As long as people are in denial about that fact, or are unwilling to face it directly, we'll just have a whole lot more political sputtering and pointing, but no actual solutions.
Corporate profits. "Corporations are people"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies