Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So what you're saying is we should start another world war.
I sure can count on you for not getting the point.

What I was saying in post# 41 was that respected journals in 1939 were coming to the conclusion that the unemployment at the time was structural. They made very good arguments. They just were wrong. The unemployment then as the unemployment now, is not structural. There is just too little demand to greatly spur employment.

When the government started the military buildup, which was really just massive government stimulus on a scale dwarfing civilian stimulus, it resulted in huge employment gains.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are running everything BUT handing out insurance cards.

Again..if it's only a set of rules and regulations as you say, then why do they need over $1 trillion ?

I worked for a multi-national corporation. Plenty of others have also stated their premiums went up.
Even the CBO and other government officials now agree.

Only you and Obama say they went down.

Denial runs deep. October will be here soon enough. Dems are now backing away on ownership of this "trainwreck"
You can keep calling it government run healthcare all you want, but it doesnt make it true.

I did not say it went down, i said the percentage at which it increased went down. Context is always key.

There is an entire thread already devoted to debunking the argument that the CBO somehow agree with republicans.

And no democrats are backing away from Obamacare. The best you can come up with is Harry Reid or Max Baucus and both of their comments are based on Republicans not allowing the exchanges to be set up in their states, meaning the implementation will be a trainwreck because republicans refuse to do what is law.

but you are right, denail does run deep, it just so happens you are speaking of yourself.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

What I was saying in post# 41 was that respected journals in 1939 were coming to the conclusion that the unemployment at the time was structural. They made very good arguments. They just were wrong. The unemployment then as the unemployment now, is not structural. There is just too little demand to greatly spur employment.

When the government started the military buildup, which was really just massive government stimulus on a scale dwarfing civilian stimulus, it resulted in huge employment gains.
On an inflation-adjusted basis the current stimulus is greater than the WWII "stimulus".

Where's the recovery?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
On an inflation-adjusted basis the current stimulus is greater than the WWII "stimulus".

Where's the recovery?
1945 recession peak unemployment 5.6%, the unemployment rate for the 2007-2009 recession started out above that percentage, not to mention the other 10,000 components of a recession.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post

Where's the recovery?
No, it wasn't. That's ridiculous.

The Inflation Calculator
Quote:
What cost $1 in 1940 would cost $16.15 in 2012.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2012 and 1940,
they would cost you $1 and $0.06 respectively.
$800 billion x .06 = $48 billion

U.S. cost of WWII: U.S -- $341 billion in 1945

Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The economy will reflect prosperity, and that won't happen under current mismanagement.
As long as producers are penalized and non-producers are subsidized, the system will continue to grind down.
Who are these producers you refer to? The owner of a pizza franchise who has historically hired part time minimum wage or less workers and whines about Obamacare which has little to not impact on the business due to the PT nature of most employees?

Was Welfare invented in January , 2009?
Or perhaps you mean Seniors who live off the dole? That group increased by 15% between 2000-2010. In 2011, 10,000 people a day began to turn 65 and this will continue for the next 20 years. Most probably pay no income taxes and receive SS and Medicare. Many are eligible for Section 8 vouchers and SNAP benefits.

Then there are the disabled. Most of the applicants are between 50-64. While applications have seriously increased, the percentages approved continue to decline.

Or maybe you are referring to those low income folk who qualify for the Earned income Tax Credit, a benefit that began in the 80's.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:

Oh I got the point, what you failed to comprehend in your own posting, was that WARS stimulate.. So if the goal is to make the economy "good", lets start another war, right?

It is your argument non stop that federal spending stimululates, and nothing causes federal spending to skyrocket like a good old war..

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You can keep calling it government run healthcare all you want, but it doesnt make it true.

I did not say it went down, i said the percentage at which it increased went down. Context is always key.

There is an entire thread already devoted to debunking the argument that the CBO somehow agree with republicans.

And no democrats are backing away from Obamacare. The best you can come up with is Harry Reid or Max Baucus and both of their comments are based on Republicans not allowing the exchanges to be set up in their states, meaning the implementation will be a trainwreck because republicans refuse to do what is law.

but you are right, denail does run deep, it just so happens you are speaking of yourself.
Actually I've stated that I'm not but you keep saying that I am.

Obamacare is NOT healthcare. It's mandated health INSURANCE.
Obamcare doesn't guarantee you'll get any care. They are just mandating you buy health insurance.

160 posts, read 126,860 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't. That's ridiculous.

The Inflation Calculator

$800 billion x .06 = $48 billion

U.S. cost of WWII: U.S -- $341 billion in 1945
Why do you count just $800 billion? The whole stimulus package (all that bail outs and so on) is much more.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually I've stated that I'm not but you keep saying that I am.

Obamacare is NOT healthcare. It's mandated health INSURANCE.
Obamcare doesn't guarantee you'll get any care. They are just mandating you buy health insurance.
The comment of mine that you responded to specifically asked how is Obamacare government run healthcare and your response was that it runs everything except giving out the insurance card.If you wanted to point out that you do not beleive it is government run healthcare and instead mandated insurance, then you should have brought that up before the above quoted comment. Changing your argument does not change what you said. If you wanted to respond in the way you just claimed, you should have done so, but you did not.

#FAIL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies