Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But an 18 year old Marine who is going to risk his life for his country isn't mature enough to have a beer in a bar.

But girls can get abortions and not talk to their parents about it at age 15.

FUBAR system.
But, as other posters pointed out, a 14 year old girl could also be tried as an adult if she committed a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2BBS View Post
Can you explain this one to me?
Welcome to a world where no one takes responsibility for themselves.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But an 18 year old Marine who is going to risk his life for his country isn't mature enough to have a beer in a bar.

But girls can get abortions and not talk to their parents about it at age 15.

FUBAR system.
What does alcohol consumption have to do with being old enough to risk your life for your country? Are soldiers who drink better soldiers? Are hung over soldiers better soldiers? IMO, the drinking age needs to stay 21. I think young people need to practice being adults sober before they try it under the influence.

As to 15 year olds, I find it rediculous that my dd's can have an abortion without telling me but can't get their ears pierced without my consent. You can have a major medical proceedure without your parents knowing it (seriously, I would think a girl would need serious aftercare, especially, psychological) but she can't get an earring? Now THAT doesn't make sense at all.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
But, as other posters pointed out, a 14 year old girl could also be tried as an adult if she committed a crime.
Or she could be tried as a child. It would depend on the circumstances.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think it matters what type of health insurance program you have..a 15 year old is not going to have their own policy paying premiums.
What does that have to do with anything except for me addressing the OP? Although it is possible they won't have insurance at all because the parents don't either, under the current sucky system.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't explain it to you since your mind doesn't work the right way. BUT I will say that arbitrary ages on most things is stupid. With a few exceptions age shouldn't be an issue. It shouldn't be an issue with health care but since we have a sucky system in place we upped the bar to make it workable for most average Americans who can't afford the cost of private insurance and can't find work where health insurance is included. This is only until we can have a real reform (Universal/National/Single Pay/etc) Is that understandable? Sorry if it's not, I tried to keep it simple.

I'd rather you explain to me why people can die for our country at one age but not buy a beer or rent a car until two other milestone years have passed.
Because adulthood isn't some mark you just pass some day. It's something you grow into. We have milestones for a reason. We put them where it is deemed most are responsible enough to deal with them. IMO, one should practice being an adult sober for a while before they try it under the influence (and, besides, we know that alcohol has a negative effect on a still developing brain so you need to make sure the brain is fully developed before you add alcohol to the mix.)

Old 05-04-2013, 03:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because adulthood isn't some mark you just pass some day. It's something you grow into. We have milestones for a reason. We put them where it is deemed most are responsible enough to deal with them. IMO, one should practice being an adult sober for a while before they try it under the influence (and, besides, we know that alcohol has a negative effect on a still developing brain so you need to make sure the brain is fully developed before you add alcohol to the mix.)
Milestones are made up. Hell, our whole concept of days/time is made up. People mature when they mature, they have sex when they have sex, they will need/want contraception when they need/want it. Nobody, no law, no parent, no regulation is going to CONTROL that. It's a fantasy. I'm not sure why you think everyone is going to go get raging drunk if the drinking limit wasn't 21 either. And how can they practice being and adult if they die in battle? They can't. We put way too much emphasis on birthdays, especially in the legal system. It's another one of those rules we created so we don't have to apply critical and logical thinking to stuff. We are a lazy bunch when it comes right down to it. Simpler to say "rules are rules" than think and make hard (sometimes wrong) decisions.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The egg and sperm have the DNA of the mother and father, respectively.

Once the sperm and egg unite, new unique DNA is created that is neither the mother's nor the father's.

How can anyone be so dense as to not understand something as simple as that?
No, my little pumpkin, you clearly misunderstood the premise of the poster and most every other "pro-life" genius. They claim that so long as something is human and alive, it shall possess rights like you and I. Again and again, I point out that human life begins long before conception and that you geniuses arbitrarily choose a point before which it is acceptable to end human life, just as you accuse those who support the privacy rights of women of doing so.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Personally, I'd like to see free contraceptives passed out at all jr high schools. I'd even take it one more step further and make it mandatory both men and women have to take some sort of birth control, until they can prove they are financially responsible to have children. Be they 15 or 50. If we can preempt the problem of the skyrocketing birth rates, we can help end many of the financial problems we are in today.

However, neither political party wants to address the true issues.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:07 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Personally, I'd like to see free contraceptives passed out at all jr high schools. I'd even take it one more step further and make it mandatory both men and women have to take some sort of birth control, until they can prove they are financially responsible to have children. Be they 15 or 50. If we can preempt the problem of the skyrocketing birth rates, we can help end many of the financial problems we are in today.
Or, just as importantly, to emotionally wrecks, prescription pill addicts and the grossly inadequate. That covers so many middle-class parents I have known who should never have had children. Come to think of it, the worst, most inadequate parents I have known have come from that sphere, rather than those living in poverty. I'd take a financially dependent kid with a loving parent any day over any of these emotionally broken kids who grow up with unloving, incompetent parents who set few if any limits in suburbia. Talk about costs to society.

Cue the indignant parents demanding to know if I have any kids. Come on, you know your reflexive defensiveness will get the best of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies