U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,240,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of FORTRAN View Post
I think part of the problem with Science versus Religion is the weird tendency for people to try and rationally justify gods or to try to scientifically prove negatives. Faith puts religion into a different context from science. When science butts heads with religion, it means one of them is out of their context.

Anyone who wants to be rational I think is over-extending themselves.

(1) The only ground any god has to stand on is that you can't prove a negative.
(2) An infinite number of such claims may be made.
(3) The limit of 1 / N as N approaches infinity is 0.

Therefore, absent any evidence for god, the probability of god is 0. Belief in god is outside the bounds of rationality.
However, you conveniently forgot to mention that we do have evidence for Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM

8,100 posts, read 4,996,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
There is no scientific explanation unless it can be tested and verified. Until that happens it's called a hypothesis.
so....global warming is just a hypothesis?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM

196 posts, read 96,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Yeah....we understand. That's the guy you're gonna raise up from the dead, meet floating on a cloud, fly off to heaven with and live in bliss forever, while evil pricks like me who disagree with your superstition burn in eternal hell fire. I read your book...I know what it says.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:16 PM

144 posts, read 105,641 times
Quote:
What?

Absent belief, how is Human Jesus evidence for your god?

The earth and sky are not evidence of the World Egg.

The tendency of sheep to live in mountainous regions is not evidence of the Raven's intelligent design.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 AM

5,412 posts, read 2,737,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
so....global warming is just a hypothesis?
I don't know. I haven't studied the data well enough to form an opinion. Why are you bringing up global warming in a thread about religion?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:40 AM

8,100 posts, read 4,996,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I don't know. I haven't studied the data well enough to form an opinion. Why are you bringing up global warming in a thread about religion?
Because plenty of people put their faith in the studies of global warming. And they do it to push an agenda. Not much unlike.......

??

Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 AM

10,305 posts, read 11,212,063 times
Quote:
There is a little bit of evidence for the proposition that a human of that name existed around the time he is supposed to have lived.

There is far more evidence for Santa Claus.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,236,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Hard to answer but, science is forever probing but they have never been able to prove there is no God. This is the mystery of our universe and life. There has been no valid explanation from science, as it too changes as new discoveries have been made.
LOL, science has also never been able to prove that unicorns and leprecauns don't exist either. I guess that means they are real and we should be living our lives according to a book written during the Bronze Age supposedly inspired by the true words of the Unicorn King.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 AM

196 posts, read 96,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
LOL, science has also never been able to prove that unicorns and leprecauns don't exist either. I guess that means they are real and we should be living our lives according to a book written during the Bronze Age supposedly inspired by the true words of the Unicorn King.
Yeah.....the book where a rich man has as much chance of entering their heaven as a camel does to pass through the eye of a needle. I've probably been to 100 Christian funerals during my lifetime. At a few of them the deceased had inheirited thousands of acres of choice farmland and basically lived the life of Riley and so help me not a one of those funerals failed to declare that the deceased was "With The Lord," "Had Passed Through Pearly Gates," "At Rest With The Angels" etc....even though the scriptures declare that narrow is the path and few will find it. They pick a few verses that they like and the rest if totally and completely ignored. Their preachers do the same thing 'course they have to keep the money coming in.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,005,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians
A prophet named Jesus probably existed.
Deities and Magic Sky Wizards? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies