Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times

Advertisements

Why should a 16 year old think they have the right to tell an 82 year old man how to think?

Have some respect girl.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What does "not politically correct" mean? Should it be OK for him to be racist, sexist and homophobic because he fought in a war?
Yes, I think that would be ok.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewishguy77 View Post
For what its worth, when you get old, a lot of your youth comes out.He probably remained quiet and respectful until he became older, sicker and senile, you don't care about much when you are so old, in pain and can barely get out of bed. You won't understand until you reach that age. I worked in an old age home, the elderly white and black patients were equally racist, homophobic and sexist.
I think it's that the veneer gets thin, and as you become very old, some just don't have the filter over what they're willing to say that they had as a younger adult. Lots of really elderly people just say things they would have never said even 10 years earlier. Some of it is age related dementia. You just have to accept and love them for who they are, because they're not going to change. My parents are in their 80s, and I'm so grateful that both of them are still just as sharp as a tack. Unfortunately, many of their friends aren't in the same kind of shape mentally or physically. That type of behavior is a painful part of being at near the end of your life for some. I once went to visit a family friend who was a retired pastor--he was in his late 90s, living in a care center, and he said some filthy words during our visit. I'd never heard an unkind or vulgar word come out of his mouth before in my entire life. It happens. I'm not positive he was even sure about what he was doing or saying.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenLibChik View Post

It really makes me sick.. I am 16 and I am very liberal, I don't like racists, homophobes, etc... What can I do to change him before he dies. One time he did defend a black female nurse against an uppity doctor who scolded her for not watching him, he said to the doctor "no she is doing a good job, its a tough job, my wife was a nurse, i respect them".. He then said "west indians are better looking than most n..gro women, they must have white or something else in them", then to top it off said to my cousin who he knows is g-y or whatever "she has a nice rack eh? what? you don't like that? whats the matter with you?" which really upset me he later apologized.
n..gro? g-y? Are you so afraid of offending that you can't even spell out these words?

It sounds like you care about your grandfather which is great. But as others have advised, please lighten up on the poor guy. You won't change him before he dies anyway.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM

286 posts, read 331,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenLibChik View Post
My grandfather is 82 and was born in August 1930, he is Irish, Sicilian, Dutch, German, Spanish(Spain), English and Portuguese descent, he had a tough life and grew up with a very strict father who beat him but my grandfather claimed it was tough love and he's happy he didn't grow up like a "pansy", he grew up in The Bronx in the 30s and 40s, he was a tall(6 foot 2 1/2 barefoot which is very tall today and back then was abnormally tall), athletic and very good looking guy(he modeled), he had deep golden brown tans, great facial structure, strong jawline, high cheekbones, full lips, very thick wavy medium brown hair and very bright pale ice blue eyes with his now all white hair that still light up a room and it is the first thing he is complimented on today... He was drafted into the US Army in 1951 and old pictures show him with a short black recruit who he jokingly called "jimmy the cricket", he was never a racist, my father told me he stuck up for blacks and was in fist fights over it as a kid, but my grandfather is a Conservative and devout Catholic, he calls Obama the n-word and still says "colored", he grew up in a different time I know. He said he wouldn't like if a female in his family dated a black male. He has had cancer since 2000 and is now a widower, he got more sick around 2010 but is still around, he is now very thin and a few weeks ago he was in the hospital and was heavily sedated, he woke up bugging out about a man in his room speaking Chinese, he called up one of his daughters telling her to "get the ch*nk out of my room!". He calmed down in a few minutes I guess coming off of the drugs, I know this may be from his past war experiences.

One of his grandsons(he has 10 grandchildren) is bisexual, my grandfather can tell by his very feminine voice and my grandfather sometimes grins and looks at one of his sons when he talks but never says anything.

It really makes me sick.. I am 16 and I am very liberal, I don't like racists, homophobes, etc... What can I do to change him before he dies. One time he did defend a black female nurse against an uppity doctor who scolded her for not watching him, he said to the doctor "no she is doing a good job, its a tough job, my wife was a nurse, i respect them".. He then said "west indians are better looking than most n..gro women, they must have white or something else in them", then to top it off said to my cousin who he knows is g-y or whatever "she has a nice rack eh? what? you don't like that? whats the matter with you?" which really upset me he later apologized.

Its funny because I look back on old pictures of him with his Puerto Rican girlfriend in the early 50s showing my grandfather as a tall muscular newly returned GI sitting outside of a 50s style diner, he looked very happy, he eventually married my now deceased grandmother who was very beautiful and of mostly Italian and English descent(he seemed to like women who could tan like him).
He's seeing everything he fought for and sacrificed go up in smoke.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Give the man a break. 82 year old racist "homophobes" ain't hurting nobody.
Yep;he is entitled to his opinon just like yours are with your about him.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Take away his radio. He's listening to Rush all day. He's a big hit in rest homes, and most of what he says isn't really understood, but he's a slow acting poison.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Take away his radio. He's listening to Rush all day. He's a big hit in rest homes, and most of what he says isn't really understood, but he's a slow acting poison.
Haha

Why does someone or some group always have to be blamed for racism? People aren't born racist, they usually pick it up through experiences.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM

As for OP,

You are 16. The biggest concern in your life is fitting in and being viewed cool by your peers. Eventually by your mid 20's you won't care about that and your circle of friends will decrease. That is when you will truly decide your own opinions.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:20 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Rush is the McDonald's version of radio, all crap with no substance or value, but it's cheap , fast, and fills you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies