U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,146,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Tho maybe that's the cost of becoming "American". I'm of Irish family and speak only English. The old ways; good OR bad, will mostly die out. Some "Irish" try to dog me for NOT speaking Gaelic; my comeback is "why should I?" and they go "huh".
I suppose it all depends how strongly one feels toward their ethnic traditions and culture. As someone with Irish heritage, would you really prefer pickled brisket and cooked cabbage, to a slow-cooked dry-rubbed Texas barbecued brisket with cornbread and honey-butter?

Just because it was a very big deal to eat beef for the Irish during the mid-nineteenth century, and the only way to preserve that beef before refrigeration was to pickle that beef, does not make it a tradition worthy of keeping, in my opinion. A real celebration, since that is the intent of Saint Patrick's Day, is to get the best food and booze one can afford. These days most of us can certainly do better than a pickled stringy piece of beef.

No offense intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,749,606 times
No, not resentful at all.

Of course I hate seeing my tax money wasted on people with no motivation to make their lives easier, but the same can be said for the non-natives who are also on the public teat with no motivation to leave. I also question the need to subsidize some of their practices while some of them get rich off gambling, but at the same time we wage pointless wars and pointless "winning hearts and minds" by building schools and highways to nowhere. So my scorn isn't limited to inefficiency and bias for native folks. I scorn inefficiency in general.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,381,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

The white man will try to whitewash the theft of a continent and essentially exterminating a race of people by claiming that we fought among ourselves and are weak, inferior, morally corrupt individuals who live in dirt piles and are a threat to the white society. This is the final push to finish the job they started centuries ago.
I contend that any and all afflictions experienced by the NDN were brought on and fostered by the white society and the principles of Manifest Destiny. If we had just been left alone with our culture and lands then we would have thrived as caretakers of the continent rather that the concept of exploitation and pillage that the white race brought.
I find it disrespectful that you are grouping all "white men" together and insinuating that all white people are hell-bent on destroying native culture and have done nothing but evil deeds. My family came here in the 1950's on a boat from Italy and are hardworking, kindhearted people. Most "white" people on the east coast can trace their ancestors back just a few generations or so to Europe and have absolutely nothing to do with the destruction of Native American culture or the acquisition of their land. I understand the reasoning behind the animosity but the hate speech and unnecessary generalizations are not appreciated.

and for the record I am not against reservations or tax breaks or scholarships for Native American people...

Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,482,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing traveler View Post
Americans, Are you resentful?
No.

[the slot machine took another $20 so we're even!]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 05-05-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM

36,074 posts, read 16,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I find it disrespectful that you are grouping all "white men" together and insinuating that all white people are hell-bent on destroying native culture and have done nothing but evil deeds. My family came here in the 1950's on a boat from Italy and are hardworking, kindhearted people. Most "white" people on the east coast can trace their ancestors back just a few generations or so to Europe and have absolutely nothing to do with the destruction of Native American culture or the acquisition of their land. I understand the reasoning behind the animosity but the hate speech and unnecessary generalizations are not appreciated.

and for the record I am not against reservations or tax breaks or scholarships for Native American people...
Some people like wallowing in the past. This allows them to hate people alive today who weren't even born back then and played no role in the past. They are the eternal victims even though they themselves weren't even alive back then either. We'll never be united as a country with so many in constant victim mentality mode over the past. Mexicans are good at that also.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM

13,053 posts, read 7,758,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post

I do not speak of all white men as you imply. I speak to the posters here in this thread who have made the statements I refer to. Read the thread and you'll know who I'm referring to.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,851,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Within the Australian context, Aborigines occupy both the social position of Native Americans and African Americans. This is because until relatively recently, there was a "White Australia" policy which kept out nonwhite immigrants, and the Aborigines were the only nonwhite underclass. Thus a lot of things which show up in part in anti-black animus in the U.S. (moral panic about unwed mothers, concern about welfare, or public housing, etc), are put onto Aborigines.

In addition, in the vast majority of the U.S. (besides some parts of the West) Native Americans are so rare that people never have to consider the abject poverty and squalor which still exists on many reservations - we have plenty of examples of nearly as bad poverty closer to home after all.
Wonder how all those Maori made their way to Aus before the so called white Australia policy was overturned ?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,001,377 times

All they've done is waste that money on luxury housing. /sarcasm

Resentful? It never once entered my mind. My wife's favorite spot to visit is Santa Fe and the surrounding area. I suggest everyone make the trip and take the time to talk with the locals. Get out of the city and drive out to the villages. They will welcome you.

You will never feel regret. Guilt, maybe, but not regret.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,924,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I suppose it all depends how strongly one feels toward their ethnic traditions and culture. As someone with Irish heritage, would you really prefer pickled brisket and cooked cabbage, to a slow-cooked dry-rubbed Texas barbecued brisket with cornbread and honey-butter?

Just because it was a very big deal to eat beef for the Irish during the mid-nineteenth century, and the only way to preserve that beef before refrigeration was to pickle that beef, does not make it a tradition worthy of keeping, in my opinion. A real celebration, since that is the intent of Saint Patrick's Day, is to get the best food and booze one can afford. These days most of us can certainly do better than a pickled stringy piece of beef.

No offense intended.
Uh; I like my "American" food; let my now dead ancestors deal with cabbage and so on.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM

21,689 posts, read 23,529,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post

All they've done is waste that money on luxury housing. /sarcasm

Resentful? It never once entered my mind. My wife's favorite spot to visit is Santa Fe and the surrounding area. I suggest everyone make the trip and take the time to talk with the locals. Get out of the city and drive out to the villages. They will welcome you.

You will never feel regret. Guilt, maybe, but not regret.
Guilt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or