Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 PM

438 posts, read 658,857 times

Advertisements

An Australian friend and I were having a conversation about aboriginals in Australia. She is very resentful about how they get additional money for various reasons.

I brought up how Native Americans and Inuits get additional money for various reasons but I feel no resentment at all. She seemed to think I am unusual and that she believes that the majority of Americans must be resentful.

So I am asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,004,690 times
No.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,329,706 times
I don't know much about the aboriginals. Where they placed in reservations out in the middle of no-wheres also? There are a lot of problems in many reservations today.... alcoholism, poverty, etc. I have a friend that goes out every year with a group and helps repair homes, etc. He's told me some of the stories about how hard life is there. I don't see anything to be resentful about.... not a thing.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 PM

10,734 posts, read 23,723,954 times
No, and even though you brought it up, I likely won't be thinking about it in say 30 seconds...

Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,931,511 times
I don't "resent" the fact that Natives receive monetary compensation in the wake of historical atrocities against their ancestors, but I do think that it has served virtually no purpose in bettering their socio-economic situation overall (but then again, you can also thank a lot of the localized tribal management for stagnation/declination in that area).

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,838,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing traveler View Post
An Australian friend and I were having a conversation about aboriginals in Australia. She is very resentful about how they get additional money for various reasons.

I brought up how Native Americans and Inuits get additional money for various reasons but I feel no resentment at all. She seemed to think I am unusual and that she believes that the majority of Americans must be resentful.

So I am asking.
Nope.

Actually, the ones that I know are resentful are also the ones who believe white people are suffering the "real and true" racism in the US today. (So in other words, not at all any of the majority.)

Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,946,112 times
Within the Australian context, Aborigines occupy both the social position of Native Americans and African Americans. This is because until relatively recently, there was a "White Australia" policy which kept out nonwhite immigrants, and the Aborigines were the only nonwhite underclass. Thus a lot of things which show up in part in anti-black animus in the U.S. (moral panic about unwed mothers, concern about welfare, or public housing, etc), are put onto Aborigines.

In addition, in the vast majority of the U.S. (besides some parts of the West) Native Americans are so rare that people never have to consider the abject poverty and squalor which still exists on many reservations - we have plenty of examples of nearly as bad poverty closer to home after all.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
No, I don't see any reason to be.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM

934 posts, read 1,435,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I don't "resent" the fact that Natives receive monetary compensation in the wake of historical atrocities against their ancestors, but I do think that it has served virtually no purpose in bettering their socio-economic situation overall (but then again, you can also thank a lot of the localized tribal management for stagnation/declination in that area).
I agree with this. It seems like government handouts (what little they get) seems to devalue their worth, not just as Natives, but as human beings. The tribes seem somewhat scattered, so what few Native Americans that are left struggle for representation within the Federal government and against the corruption within their own reservations.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times
There are few if any full-blooded native Americans left in the US outside of Alaskan Inuit peoples. Even most of those who live on reservations have European ancestry mixed in. They were basically wiped off the face of the planet after Europeans arrived on the continent. Not so much because of violence/atrocities from explorers (though that did occur) as it was the fact that they brought over diseases that the natives had zero immunity to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies