U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,343,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you're smart, you'd learn Chinese. Now there's the language of the future.

Spanish, not so much. Yes, there are a lot of them here, and more coming. But they're going to learn English.
I agree with this. China is set to be the largest economy in a couple of years. China will play a huge role in the global economy in the years to come

Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM

1,127 posts, read 771,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I agree with this. China is set to be the largest economy in a couple of years. China will play a huge role in the global economy in the years to come
Glad to hear that you don't have Chinese as much as Mexicans.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 PM

797 posts, read 975,466 times
A language that Americans should learn is French... We have more in common with Canada than with Latin America.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
A language that Americans should learn is French... We have more in common with Canada than with Latin America.
Most of the business in Canada is conducted in English.

Besides, we really don't have that much in common with French Canadians.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:01 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,621,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
America has never been an English Only country. You are free to speak any language you want in our country.
Are you ignoring the OP.......Our official language is English are your from here originally or just young?

The OP stated we better learn it, America is changing! I've noticed some mexicans have come here and while in the stores have no intention of speaking English and they talk very loud so we can all hear them and their converstion.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Are you ignoring the OP.......Our official language is English are your from here originally or just young?

The OP stated we better learn it, America is changing! I've noticed some mexicans have come here and while in the stores have no intention of speaking English and they talk very loud so we can all hear them and their converstion.
Maybe you should brush up on your English before you learn another language.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,621,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It's statements like that one, by the way, that cause some to label you a racist, and to view everything you say through that prism.

Speaking the same language as a person you hire to do a job for you isn't a bad thing. Better & clearer communications with your employees might result in the job being done more completely to your satisfaction. Come to think of it, why would you ever hire someone with whom you CAN'T communicate?
Seems you advocate hiring Spanish speaking help over English speaking help.....and Americans wonder why they're having a hard time finding work.

In the bold why would you not hire an American English speaking person first?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:07 PM

6,162 posts, read 11,211,790 times
Quote:
Actually....
The United States of America has NO official language. Clearly, the most commonly used language is English, and more than half of the individual states have declared English as their official language, but at the federal level, we have no official language.

And I'm from here originally, if that somehow matters.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:07 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,546,448 times
Quote:
they talk very loud so we can all hear them and their converstion.
Funny thing. People who speak English do that as well.

Especially the grumpy old English-speaking guys who are yelling, "Get off my lawn!" at everyone they don't like.

Weird, huh?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM

6,162 posts, read 11,211,790 times
Quote:
Seems you advocate hiring Spanish speaking help over English speaking help.....and Americans wonder why they're having a hard time finding work.

In the bold why would you not hire an American English speaking person first?
I didn't advocate anything other than having a language on common with the people one hires to do work. Are you having difficulty with my rather clear English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies