U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,193,812 times

Advertisements

It is important to be bilingual, or multilingual in a global sense. It is better to have that skill than to not have that skill. Most Americans have only a high school diploma. The global economy, which we all are a part of, prefers a college degree. Again, its better to have it than not to have it.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,080,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
That all depends on the languages. English, absolutely, Chinese, absolutey, Deutch, absolutely, Portugese/Spainish, no consequesnce.
Eh, Portuguese is the language of the largest latam economy and a BRIC language.

Furthemore it is used in latam, africa, and europe.

Given the geographic breadth (used on three continents) and number of speakers I feel Portuguese is more useful.

Germanic people also know english more often than not at a higher level.

In the IC, you would provide more value to the org as a whole in learning Portuguese than German.

I run into quite a few listings at places like Goldman or finance firms in DC asking for Portuguese fluency if the position is latam focused.

It is short sighted to say Portuguese or Spanish knowledge is useless.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM

35,209 posts, read 19,272,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you're smart, you'd learn Chinese. Now there's the language of the future.

Spanish, not so much. Yes, there are a lot of them here, and more coming. But they're going to learn English.

Chinese is spoken by more people than any other language, but not by many outside of China.

English is the most widely spoken language, followed by Spanish. Being bilingual in English/Spanish is probably the best combination.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 929,537 times
I speak fluent Spanish, French, German and English. I have traveled all around the world so it does not really concern me.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 PM

10,907 posts, read 9,319,397 times
Yes, and that's the utility of being able to speak it.

One of the problems for English speakers, especially in the US, is what other language to learn. The main utility of Spanish in the US, is if you need to deal with a lot of migrant workers. But if you want a language that give you real business opportunities, learn Chinese. If you can speak both English and Chinese fluently, you can probably get good jobs easily, with no other skills.

If you're have, say, and MBA AND speak English and Chinese, you can pretty much name your price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Chinese is spoken by more people than any other language, but not by many outside of China.

English is the most widely spoken language, followed by Spanish. Being bilingual in English/Spanish is probably the best combination.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,007,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Horsesh-t!
Ah. I see you have an aversion to science, as well as languages.

As a control group, the researchers used medicine and cognitive science students at Ume University -- students who also study hard, but not languages. Both groups were given MRI scans before and after a three-month period of intensive study. While the brain structure of the control group remained unchanged, specific parts of the brain of the language students grew. The parts that developed in size were the hippocampus, a deep-lying brain structure that is involved in learning new material and spatial navigation, and three areas in the cerebral cortex.
Language learning makes the brain grow, Swedish study suggests

Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
I speak fluent Spanish, French, German and English. I have traveled all around the world so it does not really concern me.
Nice!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Are you ignoring the OP.......Our official language is English are your from here originally or just young?

The OP stated we better learn it, America is changing! I've noticed some mexicans have come here and while in the stores have no intention of speaking English and they talk very loud so we can all hear them and their converstion.
Well, perhaps you can speak to some of your fellow Americans and ask them to keep their voices down when visiting other countries. I've heard "HARRY! HARRY! COME GET A LOAD OF THIS!!" in our cathedrals, and "GARCON! GARCON! WHERE'S THE KETCHUP! in our fine restaurants. That's when they're not hollering into their cell phones at the top of their lungs. At Place des Arts during a performance.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM

1,127 posts, read 773,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Depends where.

Once again, depends where.
Montreal is nothing like Houston, nothing

Old 05-06-2013, 03:55 PM

45,777 posts, read 34,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
In just a few decades, if you don't know Spanish, you're gonna be a like a Canadian that doesn't know French.
Only about 22% of Canadians speak French. There is more to Canada than Quebec which is the second largest province in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies