Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post

Most of the 3rd generation Hispanics I know are not fluent in Spanish.
Most 3rd generation anything are no longer fluent in anything but English.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Only about 22% of Canadians speak French. There is more to Canada than Quebec which is the second largest province in Canada.
That would be incorrect. French is the mother tongue of about 22% of Canadians. Lots more people speak it. It's not my mother tongue. I speak it. It's not my son's mother tongue. He speaks it. All of our politicians speak it.
The number of people who know how to speak it is anywhere from forty to fifty percent.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Abby View Post
I would assume at one time Texas was mostly North American Indian.
Yes indeed. Then came the French followed by Spain and Mexico.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That would be incorrect. French is the mother tongue of about 22% of Canadians. Lots more people speak it. It's not my mother tongue. I speak it. It's not my son's mother tongue. He speaks it. All of our politicians speak it.
The number of people who know how to speak it is anywhere from forty to fifty percent.

Languages of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Well, I think the OP is a bit confused. And while I agree to a certain extent of his assessment in regards to America of today. Where in certain areas of the country, it is very beneficial to be able to speak Spanish. As well as international travel to much of Latin-America.

I think he is bit delusional if he thinks that Spanish is the language of the future. Because English is the language of the future. It is the international language.

Sure, Spanish is nice in America, but pretty useless in Canada... And French is largely useless in America, but its nice to Canada. The largest Latin-American country(Brazil) doesn't speak Spanish, they speak Portuguese.

The only real truth in this post, is that its nice to be able to speak your neighbors language. But if we ignore the fact that Spanish-speakers live near us. The question is, is Spanish an important language in the world market? The answer is simply, no.

The truth is, the combined population of all of Spanish-Speaking Latin-America is only about 380 million. Compared to the current population in the United States of about 312 million. Once you leave the Western Hemisphere, the usefulness of Spanish drops to near zero. While English is useful practically anywhere in the world.

List of languages by number of native speakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you insist on teaching your children another language. Sure, Spanish is the most useful language other than English in the United States. But if you were to move to Europe, what language might you teach them other than English? French or German most likely, not Spanish.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
You're agreeing with me. That Wiki article cites the number of people whose mother tongue is French.
Maybe you don't know what mother tongue means?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You're agreeing with me. That Wiki article cites the number of people whose mother tongue is French.
Maybe you don't know what mother tongue means?
Well it says about 17.5% of the Canadian population is bilingual in French and English. Which is about 1 in 6 people in Canada. But, that this bilingualism isn't common throughout the country, but rather only in a relatively narrow band. Which is largely located on the border areas between Ontario and Quebec, and also on the border of Quebec and New Brunswick. Which is probably similar to the bilingualism rate on our southern border with Mexico, and then south Florida.

So yes, about 40% of Canadians can speak French, but almost all of the people who speak French or are bilingual, live in Quebec. Basically, of the 34.4 million people living in Canada, 26.4 million live outside of Quebec. Of the 26.4 million who live outside of Quebec, only about 2.5 million are bilingual. Which is about 9.5%.

For British Columbia, the bilingual rate is only 7%, and for Newfoundland, its only 3.7%.

So, its not exactly like Canada is actually a good example of a bilingual country.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Most 3rd generation anything are no longer fluent in anything but English.
You could have fooled me in my neck of the woods. I rarely hear a Hispanic of any age speaking English.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
It is important to be bilingual, or multilingual in a global sense. It is better to have that skill than to not have that skill. Most Americans have only a high school diploma. The global economy, which we all are a part of, prefers a college degree. Again, its better to have it than not to have it.
No it isn't for the most part. Most Americans don't deal or work in any "global" economy.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No it isn't for the most part. Most Americans don't deal or work in any "global" economy.
With all due respect, you are extremely ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies