U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM

46,054 posts, read 29,422,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
No what I'm saying is the farm worker is not our problem, but those on welfare and gang members are the first to be looked at and to be deported if needed. The problem is the poor immigrants can't find jobs here either and end up on the welfare train. It's not helping our country one bit!

I don't see spanish as a needed language unless you are an owner of a business and plan on hiring them for hotel work, farming, etc.....most can't speak plain enough English to advance in the higher up jobs.

My son worked at a hotel were all maids are Mexicans, they don't even know how to say vacuum in English and asking for a towel is like doing Charades. This makes it just as hard on the Mexicans and has caused much conflict with the workers, the whites feel they have to pick up the slack when it comes to communicating with guest.

This is way a common language works the best!
Again, you are talking about a very small percentage.

I also have worked in the hotel industry where the housekeeping staff all spoke Russian, Veitnamese, or various other types of languages.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM

15,569 posts, read 24,904,283 times
when I was in HS we had a choice of Italian, Spanish, French and German.

We are not an Italian family, so I was definetely not learning that.
We are Greek....

My mother said to take Spanish because that would come in more helpful the most out of the choices given, since we are in Brooklyn NY.

She was right, I can speak Spanish, and my BFF was from Puerto Rico, so it was a win win for me, plus I always worked with for some reason a lot of hispanic people, so HS Spanish was really beneficial tome. To this day, I can speak to the cleaning lady in my office, (as we are friends) in Spanish.....and in return she always has the coffee I like, brewing just before I get in the office.

my sons speak Greek and have also taken Spanish in HS

Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM

36,291 posts, read 16,222,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
when I was in HS we had a choice of Italian, Spanish, French and German.

We are not an Italian family, so I was definetely not learning that.
We are Greek....

My mother said to take Spanish because that would come in more helpful the most out of the choices given, since we are in Brooklyn NY.

She was right, I can speak Spanish, and my BFF was from Puerto Rico, so it was a win win for me, plus I always worked with for some reason a lot of hispanic people, so HS Spanish was really beneficial tome. To this day, I can speak to the cleaning lady in my office, (as we are friends) in Spanish.....and in return she always has the coffee I like, brewing just before I get in the office.

my sons speak Greek and have also taken Spanish in HS
My question is why do all of these people you have worked with not speak English?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM

36,291 posts, read 16,222,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Wait a minute here. Unless someone supports an EXPANSION of legal immigration then that person is an anti-immigration nut? Man, that's a level of absurd I hadn't expected.
According to the Dept. of Homeland Security's Yearbook of Immigration Statistics, a little over 1 million people were given legal permanent resident status last year. The most common country of origin by far was Mexico with 146k of those people, with China a distant second at 82k. This doesn't even contemplate the number that were granted temporary legal status.
How much immigration do we need to demand before we aren't called racists for not demanding more?
That's what I'd like to know. We have 23 million Americans out of work and yet we are racist if we don't want to expand legal immigration at this time? Our immigration quotas are set at the numbers we can aborb and provide jobs and resources for. We should negate that sane policy to expand legal immigraton anyway? The problem is that there will always be more potential legal immigrants that want to come here than we can accomodate. Many of them are the unskilled, uneducated and poor that would just be a burden to our country. But according to this "nut" we should expand legal immigration anyway and if we oppose we are racist. WTH?

As for language. The title of this topic claims that "we" should learn Spanish. I'll ask the same question this "nut" asked. "What business is it of his if we choose not to learn it"?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,957,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think it is you that needs to stop with the lying BS. If you are not an anti-immigration nut and only oppose ILLEGAL immigration why don't you support an expansion of LEGAL immigration?

The truth is that you don't want certain people to enter the United States, period. Just like a lot of other racists, you attempt to hide behind a smokescreen of semantics and parsed words, but you aren't fooling anyone.

What business is it of yours what language someone chooses to speak?
Uh; it's way past time to STOP most immigration in the US for a few years. Not just brown skin Hispanics speaking Spanish either.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,802,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's what I'd like to know. We have 23 million Americans out of work and yet we are racist if we don't want to expand legal immigration at this time? Our immigration quotas are set at the numbers we can aborb and provide jobs and resources for. We should negate that sane policy to expand legal immigraton anyway? The problem is that there will always be more potential legal immigrants that want to come here than we can accomodate. Many of them are the unskilled, uneducated and poor that would just be a burden to our country. But according to this "nut" we should expand legal immigration anyway and if we oppose we are racist. WTH?

As for language. The title of this topic claims that "we" should learn Spanish. I'll ask the same question this "nut" asked. "What business is it of his if we choose not to learn it"?
How did you get "we" out of "your kids?"

Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,150,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; it's way past time to STOP most immigration in the US for a few years. Not just brown skin Hispanics speaking Spanish either.
Yeah, the Muslims too...

"M&M's"...

Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,150,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Wait a minute here. Unless someone supports an EXPANSION of legal immigration then that person is an anti-immigration nut? Man, that's a level of absurd I hadn't expected.
According to the Dept. of Homeland Security's Yearbook of Immigration Statistics, a little over 1 million people were given legal permanent resident status last year. The most common country of origin by far was Mexico with 146k of those people, with China a distant second at 82k. This doesn't even contemplate the number that were granted temporary legal status.
How much immigration do we need to demand before we aren't called racists for not demanding more?
Actually that was the report for 2011, the latest available. You've inverted some numbers too, it was 143K Mexicans, and 87K Chinese. Over half of legal immigrants are able to come by a relationship to a U.S. citizen, half of those being a marriage (like my own wife).

Just as this post, the objections to legal immigration focus on certain countries, that is why you hear the "racism" claims...

Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM

6,162 posts, read 11,211,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Actually that was the report for 2011, the latest available. You've inverted some numbers too, it was 143K Mexicans, and 87K Chinese. Over half of legal immigrants are able to come by a relationship to a U.S. citizen, half of those being a marriage (like my own wife).

Just as this post, the objections to legal immigration focus on certain countries, that is why you hear the "racism" claims...
No, it was the report for 2012, which is available, according to the DHS Website. When you follow the link and look at the numbers, you'll see that I inverted nothing, and that the numbers I gave were quite accurate.
The post focuses on certain countries because those are the two countries from which the highest numbers of immigrants come. We can look at Aruba too, if you insist, but since there were only 54 Arubans who got permanent legal status here in 2012, I'd suggest that's not really looking at the problem.

Again, how many immigrants must we demand before we are allowed to stop demanding more?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 PM

10,567 posts, read 4,369,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

Spousal visas are justified based on the right of a citizen to live with their spouse in their own country if they choose. Dependent children should also get visas. Otherwise, the focus needs be on how immigration benefits the country and current citizens as a group. A strong case can be made that additional immigration of Mexicans does not benefit the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies