U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:22 PM

37,006 posts, read 16,409,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I'm sure Hispanics will continue assimilating into American culture. We're not gonna all have to speak Spanish in 2050. Calm yourselves. Hispanic fertility rates are declining too. In 1990, the Hispanic fertility rate was 2.96 per woman; in 2011 it was 2.23, which is just above the replacement rate of 2.1. The only reason that the Hispanic (and Asian) populations are growing is because of immigrants from Latin America and Asia are still arriving in large numbers. The 2011 Asian fertility rate (1.71) is lower than the 2011 non-Hispanic white fertility rate (1.78).

Source

Scroll down to Vital Statistics of Racial and Ethnic Groups.
You forgot to mention that a lot of this Hispanic growth rate is due to illegal immigration and their anchor babies. That is neither lawful nor natural. As for assimilation and the usage of Spanish for generations by them I have serious doubts about the majority of them changing and this is from first hand experience. I think this article is pretty accurate. Has everyone forgotten what the title of this topic is and how that backs up what I am saying? If they are assimilating why is the topic title suggesting we learn Spanish?

Hispanic assimilation has failed

Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,209,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm gonna learn it. The times, they are a changing. In just a few decades, if you don't know Spanish, you're gonna be a like a Canadian that doesn't know French. Your (or your kids) job availability might suffer. Get ready before it's too late.

Think about this. Do you think of Mexico as Mexican people.. or American people? Do you associate mannerisms or skin color with your thoughts of who they are? Or might look like? Or what food stuffs they prefer? By about 2050, it won't be "Kookoo for cocoa puffs." It's gonna be "Más huevos rancheros"

This might sound like some kind of immigration thread. Maybe. Thing is though, is that a few races in the USA are being out bred. In a few decades, everyone on the world stage is going to see us as Mexico 2.0. It's like when someone mentions Africa and you think of a certain race. Is that race Black or White or do you have no association at all? I do. It's Black. Like when you read "30 people tried to vote and they got shot in Africa." Do you think of White people or Black people. In 30 years, everyone is going to be looking at the USA as a predominately Hispanic/Latino nation. It's like, If I say "hot Russian chick" do you think of a blond, blue eyed girl... or of the 100's of thousands of Chinese people there? Yeah, they look just as Chinese as the other Chinese people....from China. How many people read an article about problems in Russia and think of someone that looks Chinese?

Get ready for it. It's already happening.

Dora the Explorer and the Destiny Medallion (Part 1) - YouTube
Not many people take that kind of change well. It's a fact of human nature, but nobody is gonna be able to change it.

Humanity has always been and will continue to be an everchanging, dynamic kaleidoscope of different cultures, races and colors ebbing and flowing, combining, separating and evolving as they continually flow around the planet. It's the lack of stagnation that keeps our kind so successful.

Ya estoy listo.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,842,467 times
Yep. The dinosaurs will crumble. Those who are able to adapt will prevail. Imagine Bill Gates saying, "Computers?!!!! That's just crazy talk!!!"

Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Not many people take that kind of change well. It's a fact of human nature, but nobody is gonna be able to change it.

Humanity has always been and will continue to be an everchanging, dynamic kaleidoscope of different cultures, races and colors ebbing and flowing, combining, separating and evolving as they continually flow around the planet. It's the lack of stagnation that keeps our kind so successful.

Ya estoy listo.
Illegal immigration from mostly one ethnic group however does not do that. Quite the opposite occurs and we lose our divesity. Every country has a unique mainstream culture/identity of its own with minority cultures living among them. That is what works not several cultures competing for dominance. There is no harmony in that only clash.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,055,577 times
This...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I started learning Spanish in the late 90s in 6th grade. Simply put, foreign language should be a staple of education. The Dutch speak 4 languages when they are 18, our students barely speak English. Time for America to pull its head out if its rear and start speaking another language: period. Spanish is also extremely easy to learn. I'm done learning Spanish, I am still learning English to this day
And this too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of FORTRAN View Post
The part of the brain used for language processing is larger in people who grew up bi-lingual or better.

Which is really awesome.
Regardless of our immigration numbers, native-born Spanish speakers, etc, I just don't see the HARM in encouraging bi/multilingualism in our society. Why are Americans sooooo stubborn about that? I've traveled all over the world in my lifetime, and literally have never witnessed this attitude in any other country... well, the French & Belgians are a bit snooty about their languages, but most can (just don't want to) speak at least 1-2 others.

I speak Spanish and a little Hebrew myself, and the former in particular has been nothing but beneficial. Matter of fact, it's clinched a few jobs for me over the years.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,209,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal immigration from mostly one ethnic group however does not do that. Quite the opposite occurs and we lose our divesity. Every country has a unique mainstream culture/identity of its own with minority cultures living among them. That is what works not several cultures competing for dominance. There is no harmony in that only clash.
No culture ever remains in permanent stasis, even the "old countries". It really just boils down to fear of the unfamiliar and the irrational threat of loosing out to the newcomers.

Anyway, if you knew any immigrants you'd realize that Mexico isn't being imported here; the parents don't change much but their American-raised kids are something entirely new with many of the best traits of both cultures.

It makes sense; after all my Grandmother immigrated here from Denmark but I am not Danish.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,468,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
French is taught in all schools and universities in the U.S.

Spanish will most likely die out within next few decades just like the German due to second and third generation not being able to speak Spanish. Only 12% of US population speak Spanish anyway.
Spanish will always be a popular choice, I think, simply because so many Latin American countries speak it. Immigration here might die down someday, but we'll never stop vacationing and doing business with Mexico and South America.

That said, I agree, with the OP. I took French in High School, so I can read Spanish pretty well (hearing it is another issue) but I've long toyed with taking a Spanish class, if anything just for the fun of it. Languages are fun.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,545,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You need big biceps to learn a new language? How peculiar.
Of course not. However, I believe it's more important for kids to be physically fit and not obese (which is a national crisis now). If kids are doing well in core subjects and are physically fit, then electives like foreign languages should be offered. What I am alluding to is the importance of physical education.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
No culture ever remains in permanent stasis, even the "old countries". It really just boils down to fear of the unfamiliar and the irrational threat of loosing out to the newcomers.

Anyway, if you knew any immigrants you'd realize that Mexico isn't being imported here; the parents don't change much but their American-raised kids are something entirely new with many of the best traits of both cultures.

It makes sense; after all my Grandmother immigrated here from Denmark but I am not Danish.
Really? Hasn't Japan and China retained their Asian identity for example? When did Mexico change from a Hispanic country in identity to something else? They haven't and that is my point. Immigration has to be legal and in diversified numbers. Not illegally and from mostly one country and/or ethnic group. Those are unnatural and unlawful changes to a country's demopraphics, language and culture.

Hispanics out of all immigrant groups are adamant about retaining their language and culture in this country out in mainstream. Past immigrants for the most part didn't and a lot of the reason was is that they came from different countries and cultures in Europe and were eager to assimilate to us.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM

286 posts, read 277,089 times
Quote:

What a bunch of pro-multiculturalism bull****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies