U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 03:27 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,848,379 times

Advertisements

Every language I've learned has helped me somewhere in my life, at some point. I mean, think about it. Why even learn complicated words. Just use small words, not big words. If a 4 year old can communicate their needs, why go any farther? What's the point? I can see some people mean. I don't agree with it. But I can see why they can't see the need for it. Some kids don't see the need to stay in school. Logical really. Those kids usually end up washing my car. Some of them become Bill Gates. But I'd wager most high school drop outs don't become Bill Gates.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM

1,127 posts, read 774,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Every language I've learned has helped me somewhere in my life, at some point. I mean, think about it. Why even learn complicated words. Just use small words, not big words. If a 4 year old can communicate their needs, why go any farther? What's the point? I can see some people mean. I don't agree with it. But I can see why they can't see the need for it. Some kids don't see the need to stay in school. Logical really. Those kids usually end up washing my car. Some of them become Bill Gates. But I'd wager most high school drop outs don't become Bill Gates.
Being that you live in southern GA, you probably see a lot of that.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM

37,076 posts, read 16,438,666 times
Quote:
I see, so if a kid doesn't learn a foreign language in school they will not be successful in life and they will probably be high school dropouts? I have heard of some lame arguments to learn and push SPANISH in this country but this one takes the cake.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 PM

1,127 posts, read 774,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I see, so if a kid doesn't learn a foreign language in school they will not be successful in life and they will probably be high school dropouts? I have heard of some lame arguments to learn and push SPANISH in this country but this one takes the cake.
Learning a second language is lame???

How ignorant

Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,848,379 times
Quote:
It's racist not to learn the language of immigrants and in particular illegal immigrants? But it is not racist for them to learn the language of our country? WTH? What are you smoking? The demographics of this country is changing directly do to illegal immigration. That is neither lawful nor natural and we certainly shouldn't have to learn their language to accomodate and pander to them. Unbelievable!!!!!
No, it's not racist to not learn another language. But, having to explain something that I think a child should understand... that learning or not learning a language isn't racist....I mean..seriously, does that even need to be explained? If I don't learn to bake bread, am I being racist towards flour and yeast? Your statement makes no sense.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Learning a second language is lame???

How ignorant
I didn't say that. Quit twisting my words! I said I have heard all the lame "excuses" to push and learn Spanish but saying that one can't be successful in this country without doing so takes the cake. Reading comprehension, much? Now who is the ignorant one?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
No, it's not racist to not learn another language. But, having to explain something that I think a child should understand... that learning or not learning a language isn't racist....I mean..seriously, does that even need to be explained? If I don't learn to bake bread, am I being racist towards flour and yeast? Your statement makes no sense.
You're the one that brought racism into this conversation with your post #54. I merely replied to it. Own up to your own words, will you?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,573,101 times
Quote:
My two year old niece has been learning sign language along with English.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,573,101 times
Quote:
Exactly, there is also nothing wrong with learning another language.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:48 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,608,446 times
Quote:
I didn't say that. Quit twisting my words! I said I have heard all the lame "excuses" to push and learn Spanish but saying that one can't be successful in this country without doing so takes the cake. Reading comprehension, much? Now who is the ignorant one?
Fast food, construction, level 1 public service, and ESL teachers would do well to learn Spanish. By level 1 public service I mean any job that deals directly with the public like a nurse, paramedic or cop. S. FL and CA are the only real exceptions I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies