Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Don't lie.....we have said "some" and it's not anti-hispanic, it's illegal hispanics (like gang members) and those who think Americans stole their land. Quit spreading your hate.....
Ah, so you mean to say "a very small percentage."

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
The world economy is more and more global. That was what I was referring too.
Not to the spanish thing in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It's all around you. That Wal-Mart down the street has the same products as a Wal-Mart in Mexico. They would rather not relabel merchandise to sell it in another country.

Well, I think the international nature of the economy is slightly exaggerated. The world isn't significantly more global than it ever was. The vast majority of the United States is not international by any stretch. I live in Oklahoma City, rarely do you ever meet someone from another country, who isn't Mexican or from central America.

The few "international" people we have living here, are almost all centered in very small areas of town, especially near Tinker Air Force Base. Rarely do I meet a person who was born here, that has ever stepped foot out of this country, other than on a short vacation. And there are plenty of people who have never even left this state, and if they have, they almost always have only gone to Texas or some other nearby state... And the people who do leave and go on vacation somewhere else. Generally they going to someplace like Mexico and staying in a resort on the beach with a bunch of other Americans, being waited on by people who speak English. That isn't really the same as spending time in another country.

I understand that we have international trade. But we have had international trade for quite some time, the British empire had huge amounts of international trade. The entire southern economy pre-Civil War was entirely based on international trade... The only real difference, is that there are more average people capable of living in and going on vacations to other countries than ever before. But the people who are moving to other countries, tend to be people from the third world moving to developed countries, not the other way around. And the people who are vacationing, are rarely getting out of their comfort zones when they do vacation. And the vast majority of all of these transactions happen through the English language.

Anyway, my point is, if you only ever learn to speak English, you'll be perfectly fine. And I believe English will become even more important in the future, not less.

As for Spanish. I don't really mind learning it in a general sense. If I was to actually learn another language, it would either be Spanish or German. But thats only because, the only places I would ever want to move to, or visit in full, either speak English, German, or Spanish. At least, they speak it well-enough to get by. For instance something like 80% of Norwegians speak English. And that is pretty common across much of Europe, especially Northern Europe. The parts of Europe which don't speak English, usually have people who can speak German at least. Spanish is useful of course in Latin-America(and to hire cheap laborers to work on my house).

Last edited by Redshadowz; 05-06-2013 at 09:01 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Montreal is nothing like Houston, nothing
What does Houston have to do with anything?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Oh, for the love of God!
Someone said learning a new language makes the brain grow. Your exact response, and I quote, was "Horses**t!"
Did anyone say it was the ONLY thing that makes the brain grow? No. Of course memorizing how to navigate a city and all its streets will also do the trick. It uses the same part of the brain as memorizing a new language and its rules.
Here's a tissue. You'll need it to wipe the horses**t off your face.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
A lot of Americans already speak Spanish.....
According to the anti immigration nuts, that's pandering to Hispanics.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
"You seriously need to start teaching your kids Spanish"

My kids already speak Spanish.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I think the international nature of the economy is slightly exaggerated. The world isn't significantly more global than it ever was. The vast majority of the United States is not international by any stretch. I live in Oklahoma City, rarely do you ever meet someone from another country, who isn't Mexican or from central America.

The few "international" people we have living here, are almost all centered in very small areas of town, especially near Tinker Air Force Base. Rarely do I meet a person who was born here, that has ever stepped foot out of this country, other than on a short vacation. And there are plenty of people who have never even left this state, and if they have, they almost always have only gone to Texas or some other nearby state... And the people who do leave and go on vacation somewhere else. Generally they going to someplace like Mexico and staying in a resort on the beach with a bunch of other Americans, being waited on by people who speak English. That isn't really the same as spending time in another country.

I understand that we have international trade. But we have had international trade for quite some time, the British empire had huge amounts of international trade. The entire southern economy pre-Civil War was entirely based on international trade... The only real difference, is that there are more average people capable of living in and going on vacations to other countries than ever before. But the people who are moving to other countries, tend to be people from the third world moving to developed countries, not the other way around. And the people who are vacationing, are rarely getting out of their comfort zones when they do vacation. And the vast majority of all of these transactions happen through the English language...
I am particularly glad I had a chance to see many places in the world. Sometimes I "went native" to have the experience be even more worthwhile. But I agree with you that most Americans, and surprisingly some servicemembers now, don't have any contact with foreigners outside that "comfort zone" - vacations outside the United States are made to still feel "American".

Most commerce in the United States isn't international exposure, but it drives me nuts that someone can be so shallow to complain about other languages on a product. There's a whole world, figuratively, out there they aren't aware of. Well, except for the news, where the common thing is to fear all of those "scary" places. And that prevents the desire to go out there for the experience.

Quote:
...Anyway, my point is, if you only ever learn to speak English, you'll be perfectly fine. And I believe English will become even more important in the future, not less...
My point is that someone will be much better to learn at least one other language. It shows a willingness to break other barriers if you become fluent, and does help to understand more about the people that speak that language. It bridges barriers when they see you are interested in learning about them too.

Quote:
...As for Spanish. I don't really mind learning it in a general sense. If I was to actually learn another language, it would either be Spanish or German. But thats only because, the only places I would ever want to move to, or visit in full, either speak English, German, or Spanish. At least, they speak it well-enough to get by. For instance something like 80% of Norwegians speak English. And that is pretty common across much of Europe, especially Northern Europe. The parts of Europe which don't speak English, usually have people who can speak German at least. Spanish is useful of course in Latin-America(and to hire cheap laborers to work on my house).
And when you see the simplicity about Spanish - words pronounced like they are spelled - without the "pochismo" slang at least - it become easier to understand why people have a harder time learning English as a second language. The root advice of this topic is correct - When another language is learned while young, it is much easier than later on in life.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:40 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Learning Spanish just to be able to communicate better with others throughout the US is the reason why there are still so many Spanish speaking Americans. There is no need to learn the English language when those that speak English are willing to learn your language.

All we do is accomodate whether it be learning their language, choosing English on the ATM, pressing 1 for English on the phone, Spanish channels on TV, etc.. If I moved to another country I would not expect others to learn English just to be able to communicate with me, I would most definitly learn theirs.

If you have a passion for learning different languages however, kudos to you..but out of all the different languages why choose Spanish? Is there something about it that appeals to you? I dont hate on anyone trying to become more rounded by learning a different language but do it for yourself and not so others dont have to speak ours.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh, for the love of God!
Someone said learning a new language makes the brain grow. Your exact response, and I quote, was "Horses**t!"
Did anyone say it was the ONLY thing that makes the brain grow? No. Of course memorizing how to navigate a city and all its streets will also do the trick. It uses the same part of the brain as memorizing a new language and its rules.
Here's a tissue. You'll need it to wipe the horses**t off your face.
Wrong. He said that people who learned multiple languages have larger language centers in their brain. Which he never proved and in which he couched like it was a Wheeties commercial.

"Ya' better learn another language if you want your Broca's Area to grow"

You then posted your brain growth due to language learning post which I then rebutted with a link showing that the same brain sections grew from learning the streets of London.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,126,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"You seriously need to start teaching your kids Spanish"

My kids already speak Spanish.
So do mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies