Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 AM

92 posts, read 66,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Are any other foreign languages than Spanish even offered in most high schools now?
English

Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 AM

128 posts, read 93,655 times
Texas has always been 50% mexican 50% white in terms of population (roughly that is, there's like 10% black and 5% asian here too but for the most part it's white and mexican.)

Mexicans assimilate into american society just like any other group. Granted first and second generation mexicans still speak spanish at home, but third generation and up are almost always fully assimilated.

Don't worry folks...mexicans are not out to get you lol. They're actually very nice people I've lived around them my whole life. Good people. Blacks on the other hand are...yeah, don't like living near blacks and I'll just leave it at that lol

Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 AM

128 posts, read 93,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Hispanics have the highest teen birth rate in the USA, the highest high school dropout rate in the USA and an incarceration rate about double that of the White majority. Yep.....can't wait!!!
That's because they're a new demographic. New demographics typically take awhile to establish themselves into a society. Give it some time.

I know that at my local community college the demographics are almost entirely white males and mexican females. We'll start seeing more Mexicans in main stream society over the coming years.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 AM

92 posts, read 66,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern212 View Post
Texas has always been 50% mexican 50% white in terms of population (roughly that is, there's like 10% black and 5% asian here too but for the most part it's white and mexican.)

Mexicans assimilate into american society just like any other group. Granted first and second generation mexicans still speak spanish at home, but third generation and up are almost always fully assimilated.

Don't worry folks...mexicans are not out to get you lol. They're actually very nice people I've lived around them my whole life. Good people. Blacks on the other hand are...yeah, don't like living near blacks and I'll just leave it at that lol
I would assume at one time Texas was mostly North American Indian.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I agree.

OP, you are from the Seattle area, yes?

My neighborhood south of Seattle was becoming increasingly Hispanic when I lived there, and I chose Spanish as my foriegn language to graduate from my high school in that south Seattle neighborhood.

Now, that neighborhood is becoming increasingly populated by Hispanics, and so is the neighborhood in which I live in here has been growing in Hispanic population for a while.

The thing is that I can speak in English to my Hispanic neighbors here in L.A. County, but when I visit my old hood near Seattle, I need to call up my Spanish language knowledge.

Neighborhoods in both cities that I have primarily lived in near Seattle and Los Angeles have been referred to as "Little Tijuana".

Yep - Spanish is the language of the future - and people here in the U.S.A. had better begin to learn it.
In other words, aliens need not learn English, but US citizens should learn spanish, huh? I see backasswards is becoming the new norm.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Spanish is my native language. That being said, my Spanish ability has been steadily declining ever since I moved to the ever Hispanifying U.S. What does that tell you? I speak solely in English about 90% of the time and I live near thousands of illegals, even though I can still carry a full, advanced conversation and understand them back

Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 AM

18,467 posts, read 15,247,690 times
I have my kids in public elementary school, and they learn it as part of the regular curriculum, starting in 1st or 2nd grade. I am not in a hispanic area either. I live in a very white town, surrounded by other white towns. I think it's great that they are starting them on another language so early, but I wish they gave us a choice of which language. I think mandarin may be more valuable than spanish, but hey, something is better than nothing.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:01 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern212 View Post
That's because they're a new demographic. New demographics typically take awhile to establish themselves into a society. Give it some time.

I know that at my local community college the demographics are almost entirely white males and mexican females. We'll start seeing more Mexicans in main stream society over the coming years.
That's an interesting twist. Most people use racism or discrimination as excuses for their sheer cultural ignorance and attitude of entitlement.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I just bought an ebonics to spanglish dictionary, I'll be okay.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
And while the US pushes Spanish the world still learns English as it's the global language of business.
I guess that will change as well as the US declines. But I don't think any new emerging global language of business will be Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies