Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna learn it. The times, they are a changing. In just a few decades, if you don't know Spanish, you're gonna be a like a Canadian that doesn't know French. Your (or your kids) job availability might suffer. Get ready before it's too late.

Think about this. Do you think of Mexico as Mexican people.. or American people? Do you associate mannerisms or skin color with your thoughts of who they are? Or might look like? Or what food stuffs they prefer? By about 2050, it won't be "Kookoo for cocoa puffs." It's gonna be "Más huevos rancheros"

This might sound like some kind of immigration thread. Maybe. Thing is though, is that a few races in the USA are being out bred. In a few decades, everyone on the world stage is going to see us as Mexico 2.0. It's like when someone mentions Africa and you think of a certain race. Is that race Black or White or do you have no association at all? I do. It's Black. Like when you read "30 people tried to vote and they got shot in Africa." Do you think of White people or Black people. In 30 years, everyone is going to be looking at the USA as a predominately Hispanic/Latino nation. It's like, If I say "hot Russian chick" do you think of a blond, blue eyed girl... or of the 100's of thousands of Chinese people there? Yeah, they look just as Chinese as the other Chinese people....from China. How many people read an article about problems in Russia and think of someone that looks Chinese?

Get ready for it. It's already happening.

Dora the Explorer and the Destiny Medallion (Part 1) - YouTube

Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
I started learning Spanish in the late 90s in 6th grade. Simply put, foreign language should be a staple of education. The Dutch speak 4 languages when they are 18, our students barely speak English. Time for America to pull its head out if its rear and start speaking another language: period. Spanish is also extremely easy to learn. I'm done learning Spanish, I am still learning English to this day

Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Are any other foreign languages than Spanish even offered in most high schools now?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Are any other foreign languages than Spanish even offered in most high schools now?
French is taught in all schools and universities in the U.S.

Spanish will most likely die out within next few decades just like the German due to second and third generation not being able to speak Spanish. Only 12% of US population speak Spanish anyway.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 PM

144 posts, read 123,059 times
The part of the brain used for language processing is larger in people who grew up bi-lingual or better.

Which is really awesome.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
I agree.

OP, you are from the Seattle area, yes?

My neighborhood south of Seattle was becoming increasingly Hispanic when I lived there, and I chose Spanish as my foriegn language to graduate from my high school in that south Seattle neighborhood.

Now, that neighborhood is becoming increasingly populated by Hispanics, and so is the neighborhood in which I live in here has been growing in Hispanic population for a while.

The thing is that I can speak in English to my Hispanic neighbors here in L.A. County, but when I visit my old hood near Seattle, I need to call up my Spanish language knowledge.

Neighborhoods in both cities that I have primarily lived in near Seattle and Los Angeles have been referred to as "Little Tijuana".

Yep - Spanish is the language of the future - and people here in the U.S.A. had better begin to learn it.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yep - Spanish is the language of the future - and people here in the U.S.A. had better begin to learn it.
Same was said about German...

Only 12% of US population speak Spanish, and it is in decline.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I started learning Spanish in the late 90s in 6th grade. Simply put, foreign language should be a staple of education. The Dutch speak 4 languages when they are 18, our students barely speak English. Time for America to pull its head out if its rear and start speaking another language: period. Spanish is also extremely easy to learn. I'm done learning Spanish, I am still learning English to this day

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Yep = Spanish is the language of the future
Hardly. The impact of Spanish speakers on the global culture is minimal.

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
I lived in Seattle for a few years. My kids are bilingual Japanese=English. As for me, I speak semi fluent Japanese, English native (Born in the USA) and a smattering of French and Spanish... and a bit of Korean. The wave of the future in the USA is Spanish, though. In 20 - 30 years, it's going to be "Para Español presione una" and "Press 2 for English." Some will choose to ignore it. Others, will adapt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies