U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:09 PM

28,202 posts, read 47,597,148 times

Advertisements

HONOLULU - TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman on Wednesday apologized for using the N-word repeatedly in a profanity-laced tirade during a private phone conversation with his son that was recorded and posted online.

Upgrade Browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,227,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
HONOLULU - TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman on Wednesday apologized for using the N-word repeatedly in a profanity-laced tirade during a private phone conversation with his son that was recorded and posted online.

Upgrade Browser
Apologize for what??????????? Who gives a damn about his obvious insincere apology. I'm really sick of people saying what they mean and then apologizing for it because it is the "politically" correct thing to do. You can't make people stop being racist, as if that sh*t just disappears after making a public apology. LOL

Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,131,075 times
now did he end the word in "R" or "A"? There's a difference, at least that's my experience growing up in Oakland.

LOL

Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,456,651 times
Certain words have declined in social status whereas others like 'redneck' are fast becoming acceptable in polite society.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,190,408 times
You know, the way I look at it - when African Americans quit using the "N" word, then they can look to everyone else to stop using it -

Don't misunderstand - personally? I do not like the word nor would I use it. But, for everyone to get so hot over its use is IMO, hypocritical

Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 PM

Unfortunately that's a poor excuse to use the word and it's just that, an excuse. When a man Dog's age uses the word, he's using it to express his true colors, period. Stop trying to dress it up by saying "well black people say it so why can't I". The reality is, racism still exists.

Not to mention Dog really has no room calling someone the N-word when he himself and his wife act like n*ggers.
Pronunciation: \ˈni-gər\
Function: noun
a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,794 times
The only one who should apologize is the man who posted a private conversation on the internet. There is a difference between saying it to your son, and saying it on live TV.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
The only one who should apologize is the man who posted a private conversation on the internet. There is a difference between saying it to your son, and saying it on live TV.
I'm sure it was his son, since it was a conversation between the two men - who do you think taped it in the first place. And I'm glad that it got posted, so that it can expose those who have such disdain but yet "fake" as though they are not racist. I don't think an apology was necessary, I mean if that's how he felt, then that's how he felt. His only reason for apologizing was for the sake of trying to salvage his television deal. He has racial hatred, period. Expose him and any others, but I personally don't need an apology. I prefer to know who my enemies are

Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,131,075 times
well,
when I was growing up, my vietnamese friends called each other "n*gga" all the time. So did my mexican and samoan friends.

It was a term of uh, friendship more then a racial slur-as deranged as that may sound.

On the other hand,

Its an ugly word whose history is very painful and recalls a very dark chapter in our history-a chapter that in many places is still not over yet. Id just as soon not want to hear it, be that in a cordial manner or otherwise.

How 'bout "dude"? I hear that a lot too, and its not as offensive as the N word...but it sounds a lot cheesier.

My 2 cents.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:42 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,274,758 times
here's how I see it... millions of people have their personal beliefs and as politically correct of a society as we would like to have... those beliefs (even if bigotted and racist) are going to exist.. in fact I would be so bold as saying that many posters on this board who claim to be "accepting" when in small social groups who share their beliefs.. practice such language and bigotry... though they would never admit to it in a public forum of course.. but you know what.. they shouldn't have to.. I think if he said it on his show or in a public forum.. then Ok.. he should appologize and make it right.. but he was RECORDED in a personal discussion.. and I think there are standards for people in the media.... sure.. but this was his personal life... you cannot legislate morality.. and people's minds... If someone wants to record someone's phone converstations.. THEY should be the ones in trouble... for invading someone's privacy...
I would never use that word.. not even in private.. but in his defense... he has a right to his own mind and privacy...
One thing that really irritates me with African Americans is that they are CONSTANTLY guilty of homophobic remarks.. and many African American leaders show NO ounce of compassion for gays and lesbians on their fight for civil rights... when 60 years ago.. they were in the very position we as gays and lesbians are in... I think that is disgraceful...and of all people.. should know better... I guess its all fine and dandy so long as "we" get our rights... f everyone else..... I wonder how it would go over if I walked up to an african american sports figure who calls people f#ggot.. and I called him a N*gg*er...which one of us would get the royal treatment from the media first?
I'm sick of the self serving mentality many people in our society seem to have... it only further divides people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies