Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why don't we shame women that sleep with criminals or drug dealers? Why don't we shame women that get pregnant knowing the father won't be around? Why don't we shame women that get pregnant on purpose when they don't have a job? Why don't we shame women that sleep with poor men? If a man has a job he is paying child support either by choice or by force. 3 months without payment is going to result in suspended driver/occupational license, passport, and a stay in jail. However, that doesn't mean the mom won't be sucking on the state.

Women have the sole choice in deciding to become pregnant. Personally (from a dating perspective), I don't even like single mothers. The way I look at it is "I didn't F up my life, so don't come crawling to me because you did." I could care less if we were just talking about 40 yr old women, but 18 yr olds with kids?? No thanks!
I don't see a 40 year old woman with a child as messing up her life. It's actually pretty normal folks do get divorced, spouses die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679;29437976[B
]Why don't we shame women that sleep with criminals or drug dealers? Why don't we shame women that get pregnant knowing the father won't be around?[/b] Why don't we shame women that get pregnant on purpose when they don't have a job? Why don't we shame women that sleep with poor men? If a man has a job he is paying child support either by choice or by force. 3 months without payment is going to result in suspended driver/occupational license, passport, and a stay in jail. However, that doesn't mean the mom won't be sucking on the state.

Women have the sole choice in deciding to become pregnant. Personally (from a dating perspective), I don't even like single mothers. The way I look at it is "I didn't F up my life, so don't come crawling to me because you did." I could care less if we were just talking about 40 yr old women, but 18 yr olds with kids?? No thanks!
We kind of do. Furthermore regardless folks are going to ****. The issue is dealing with the consequences afterwords.

Additionally women cannot get pregnant by themselves. I think both the man and the woman bear equal responsibility. The issue is getting the man to stick around such that we don't have studs running around creating six figure welfare liabilities.

With that said I am in 100% agreement with the red part.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Before feminism and female sexuality it was worse. This was because it was even more one sided in that men were event more encouraged to try and get as much sex as possible and women were viewed as sluts and bore all the blame if they gave in.
This point is just silly and doesn't address the topics the OP is highlighting. Worse how? I suspect men and women were just as sexually aroused before the sexual revolution as they are now. Except their rules to the game.

It is estimated that up to a 1/3 of the marriages before the 60s came about because of an unplanned pregnancy out of wedlock. Shotgun weddings were very real.

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't see a 40 year old woman with a child as messing up her life. It's actually pretty normal folks do get divorced, spouses die.
That's why I distinguished between 18 yr olds and 40 yr olds. I don't care about 40 yr old women.

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
We kind of do. Furthermore regardless folks are going to ****. The issue is dealing with the consequences afterwords.

Additionally women cannot get pregnant by themselves. I think both the man and the woman bear equal responsibility. The issue is getting the man to stick around such that we don't have studs running around creating six figure welfare liabilities.

American women go after "studs". This is the culture.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not just the Northeast. But, now we're getting somewhere. Discussing the root of the problem.
Well if you look at your map. The south is pretty clearly the problem area. The reason for that is 2 fold.

1. They resisted capitalism much longer then the Midwest, West, and Northeast.
2. Segregation created an underclass.

Basically the south is playing catch up for the 19th century.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:

What you think is one thing, the realities of biology are entirely another. Most people throughout the ages recognized this very salient fact. Women carry babies and thus if they are not wed the responsibility to raise the child will fall upon her.

Unfortunately dreams and silliness crept in the 60s and things became worse.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The solution is not to blindly go after single parents. We need to understand why states like NC are so messed up that 26% of children there are living in poverty while states like NH, only 12% are living in poverty. If (big if) it's because NC has more births out of wedlock/relationship... why is that the case?

Children in poverty - Data Across States - KIDS COUNT Data Center
Probably because it is tied to the overall poverty rate of the state

Legend: (from light to dark)
<6%
6%-7.5%
7.5%-9%
9%-10.5%
10.5%-12%
12%-13.5%
13.5%-15%
15%-16.5%
>16.5%

New Hampshire has the lowest overall poverty rate in the nation, so it should have the lowest rate for children too.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Regrettably true. Part of the issue is that society tends to glorify tomcats.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This is nonsense. Anyone who wants women can get them. Even women can get women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies