U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,552,136 times

Advertisements

Thank you.

Last I checked it takes two to have a kid. Was talking to a pt yesterday. He has 8 kids with 5 different women. Who is taking care of the kids? Not him. He only has custody of 1...the one he has with his most current gf. I can only fault the mothers who decided to have more than one with this loser (fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me). At least most women take care of their children...the average single dad thinks he is doing good if he pays child support and takes the kid occassionally. The worst offenders can barely remember their childrens names of date of births. Of course everything is alway the woman's fault...men always want to give men a pass. If the child support laws were enforced the way they are supposed to be then the need for free and reduced priced lunches as well as free medical care would be go down.

My ex owes me thousands in back child support for a child that is now a young adult. He was also supposed to provide health care which he never did. Going through the courts is a waste of time in most cases. This is an ex-hubby not a damn bf. Every single mom wasn't a teen mom who got pregnant from carelessness. Some men feel like when the relationship with the mom ends so does the one with their kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Misogyny. I am by no means a feminist and many feminists are men haters, but no one can deny that many dudes and some women hate women, I mean really hate women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 AM

5,927 posts, read 5,397,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I don't know where you live, but men and women under 25 who get married where I grew up mostly fall into one of two categories: Losers or the fervently religious. The fervently religious have sufficient pressures on them from family, friends and God almighty that mostly keeps them in line.

Most people who have it together appear to now be getting married in their late twenties and having kids. You really have it backwards. The guys you typically see married at age 20 or 21 have all sorts of issues. The women marry them end up regretting it when they hit 30. Do a forum poll of guys. See how many of the guys who were somewhat nerdy or not that popular in school, who have no criminal records, are not chemically dependent, have good jobs, a reliable vehicle, are on speaking terms with their families and have now reached their thirties, have gotten interest from women who paid them no interest in their teens or early twenties. I think you will find quite a few. Very few of those guys will have made the mistake of getting married and popping out kids in their early twenties. Unfortunately, many of those women I mention will have made that mistake. Even more unfortunately, many of those guys won't be interested in them because they will want a woman five or six years younger than they are who probably will not have all that baggage.

I said people USED TO get married at younger ages. USED TO. Not now. It is not the norm anymore, but it USED TO be.

The point was, 20-24 year olds will have sex either way. Either they:

1. Will get married, thus having children born into a stable situation (what USED TO HAPPEN, when men with little education got manufacturing jobs)
2. Not get married, but delay childbirth in order to wait for a more stable situation in the future.

When we are talking about poor 20-24 year old women, #1 doesn't happen because marriageable men with stable jobs are not present in poor communities, and in fact many of the men that are around don't expect to be alive or out of jail past age 25. #2 doesn't happen because the motivation to do so comes from having faith in the future. THESE WOMEN DON'T HAVE THAT. And really, why should they?

Bottom line... if people have no reason to believe there is better out there, then they will keep doing what they are doing. All the hand wringing or scolding in the world won't change the fact that people have to believe in the future in order to live for one.

Last edited by Tinawina; 05-07-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 01:58 PM

6,965 posts, read 5,393,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sex ed has been in the schools for years.
Condoms are handed out for free in school.
Birth control is now free.

And there are still kids having kids.

As they say.."You can lead a horse to water...."

IUDs and implants from 14-18 is the only way to really reduce teen pregnancy/birth in that age group.
Why is it always the female who has to carry the responsibility of population control. I suggest that reversible vasectomies be perfected and simplified. Then mandate that ALL boys have one that is turned to OFF at puberty. It doesn't get turned back to ON until he can prove that he is capable of supporting a child.

A woman can produce one child per year. A man can father dozens. It only makes sense to mandate birth control for the gender that can do the most damage.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,180,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Why is it always the female who has to carry the responsibility of population control. I suggest that reversible vasectomies be perfected and simplified. Then mandate that ALL boys have one that is turned to OFF at puberty. It doesn't get turned back to ON until he can prove that he is capable of supporting a child.

A woman can produce one child per year. A man can father dozens. It only makes sense to mandate birth control for the gender that can do the most damage.
Because it's the female that gets pregnant and the female that gives birth.

Your proposal is just as valid as mine but less invasive as no surgery is performed.
Both IUD/patch can be done by the school nurse as is being done in NYC schools today.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,851,674 times
Pregnancy rates are down overall for younger age groups though of course more still needs to be done:

Teen births plummet to record low - TODAY.com

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db89.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/03/he...ears.html?_r=0

Also, I thought I would quote the actual number of unmarried women who gave birth between 20-24 - 535,779 (61.5% of 871,445)

One of the reasons I mentioned about unmarried not meaning single mother is that of 4 relatives who have given birth in the last few years, 3 are unmarried mothers, none are single mothers (they all have long term partners but see no reason for marriage - also a proper wedding is expensive these days)

Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,582,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I don't know where you live, but men and women under 25 who get married where I grew up mostly fall into one of two categories: Losers or the fervently religious. The fervently religious have sufficient pressures on them from family, friends and God almighty that mostly keeps them in line.

Most people who have it together appear to now be getting married in their late twenties and having kids. You really have it backwards. The guys you typically see married at age 20 or 21 have all sorts of issues. The women marry them end up regretting it when they hit 30. Do a forum poll of guys. See how many of the guys who were somewhat nerdy or not that popular in school, who have no criminal records, are not chemically dependent, have good jobs, a reliable vehicle, are on speaking terms with their families and have now reached their thirties, have gotten interest from women who paid them no interest in their teens or early twenties. I think you will find quite a few. Very few of those guys will have made the mistake of getting married and popping out kids in their early twenties. Unfortunately, many of those women I mention will have made that mistake. Even more unfortunately, many of those guys won't be interested in them because they will want a woman five or six years younger than they are who probably will not have all that baggage.
THIS.

I got married at 26 and still thing it was too young! Everyone I know got married after 25.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Because it's the female that gets pregnant and the female that gives birth.

Your proposal is just as valid as mine but less invasive as no surgery is performed.
Both IUD/patch can be done by the school nurse as is being done in NYC schools today.
IUDs are not recommended for women who have not had children, and are most certainly not being provided in NYC schools today. Certain high risk schools ARE providing BC pills in the nurses office.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,951,001 times
Quote:
Over 60% of the students at the school where I teach/sub are from single parent home.
They make up the bulk of the free/reduced lunch kids.

This is not the typical middle class/upper middle class suburban school.
And all this time conservatives of this forum were blaming Mexican Illegals, I'm shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post

Take a page from China, implement their laws, no more than one child per household.<heavy>

Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,180,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
IUDs are not recommended for women who have not had children, and are most certainly not being provided in NYC schools today. Certain high risk schools ARE providing BC pills in the nurses office.
EXCLUSIVE: NYC public schools giving out tens of thousands of doses of the 'morning-after-pill' - NYPOST.com
Besides “emergency contraception,” about 40 school-based clinics have dispensed prescriptions for birth-control pills, intrauterine devices (IUDs), hormone-delivering injections and Patch and NuvaRing — covering a total 93,569 monthly cycles through June 2012, the report says.
Handouts of birth-control packets rose from 6,027 in 2009-10 to 10,462 last year. Depo-Provera injections rose from 1,213 to 2,117. Staffers also insert plastic IUDs in the uterus, where they can remain for years.

Officials refused to discuss the project.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: NYC public schools giving out tens of thousands of doses of the 'morning-after-pill' - NYPOST.com
Besides “emergency contraception,” about 40 school-based clinics have dispensed prescriptions for birth-control pills, intrauterine devices (IUDs), hormone-delivering injections and Patch and NuvaRing — covering a total 93,569 monthly cycles through June 2012, the report says.
Handouts of birth-control packets rose from 6,027 in 2009-10 to 10,462 last year. Depo-Provera injections rose from 1,213 to 2,117. Staffers also insert plastic IUDs in the uterus, where they can remain for years.

Officials refused to discuss the project.
An IUD needs to be inserted by an OB-GYN and only if you have had a pregnancy in the past. It's not a procedure that can be performed in the school nurses office. The NYPost isn't the most sterling of sources, so they may have got that fact wrong. The rest is correct (and I think should be applauded)

IUD:
http://www.mirena-us.com/index.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies