Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For starters, not all single mothers are without the baby's father. The article makes no mention of that, so we just don't know. Also, how many of these single mothers are actually divorced mothers who married and had children young?

The article seems to talk only about single mothers, but does nothing to talk about the fathers of these children. I would say the best advice would be to push the education with girls when they are in school that the better the eduction they get, and waiting till marriage before having children, as well as teaching them about safe sex would decrease these numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
I'm not a liberal or a conservative - in fact, I would rather keep out of politics. I was just pointing out that unmarried is not directly equivalent to single motherhood.
But once again, the discussion is about making us broke. The only way their unmarried, but co-habitating, and then responsible for making us broke, is if they are BREAKING THE LAW, or the father is so completely incompetent and unwilling to go earn a living wage.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For starters, not all single mothers are without the baby's father. The article makes no mention of that, so we just don't know. Also, how many of these single mothers are actually divorced mothers who married and had children young?

The article seems to talk only about single mothers, but does nothing to talk about the fathers of these children. I would say the best advice would be to push the education with girls when they are in school that the better the eduction they get, and waiting till marriage before having children, as well as teaching them about safe sex would decrease these numbers.
ahh just as expected, urbanlife arrives on the scene. The paragraph below should be of interest.

"Single mothers in their early 20s instantly become the have-nots, statistically, in income and education. For so many women to have so many children without a husband is a complete abdication of personal responsibility, which leads to a complete shunning of any civic responsibility. We are going broke. And if you think taxing higher-income earners more is the answer, you haven't done the math. The men who are party to these births are, of course, just as irresponsible, just as uncommitted to a civic responsibility to take care of their own."

Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I was just giving an example. I know it goes beyond free lunches.
The sense of entitlement though between middle class and inner city and poor rural is not the same.
I disagree completely. The sense of entitlement is as great, it just manifests itself in different ways.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
I'm not a liberal or a conservative - in fact, I would rather keep out of politics. I was just pointing out that unmarried is not directly equivalent to single motherhood.
Sorry, wasn't directing that your way. More about where I live.

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
I am just saying that unmarried doesn't automatically equate to single mother. Unmarried means not married to the father (which doesn't exclude cohabiting with the father), single mother means parenting on her own.
Yep, so the mother collects welfare and cohabitates with the father who also gets welfare.

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Single parenthood shows clear signs of at least two irresponsible people. I say hire someone who has shown understanding of the concept of adult responsibility for children, and put all these kids in a home run by people like that. All these "baby mamas and baby daddys" are just people who really don't give a damn about what they create in "getting it off". No way should children remain in their care.
Brilliant idea. You clearly understand much of the psychology of children.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Not to give single moms any break, but things like bailing out banks is making us more broke than single moms. Paying through the nose to contractors like Halliburton is likewise making us go broke. Let's not, while admitting that single moms and the unfettered births to retarded people is counterproductive, forget we have other expenses completely out of control. And what is being done to put a tourniquet on those gushing wounds?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, so the mother collects welfare and cohabitates with the father who also gets welfare.
Exactly, note how she hasnt replied to me pointing out thats illegal.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
You're right but being misleading at the same time. Being unmarried is not directly equivalent to single motherhood. However, you are implying that a significant proportion of unmarried women with kids had all their kids with a single father who is still with them, which isn't the case.

I think we can all agree that families where are for all intents and purposes standard two-parent married households except without the piece of paper do exist and are a lot better and less destructive - both to the kid(s) and society - than other types of one-parent households. Alas that they are not a larger proportion of unmarried families with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies