Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
No you miss the point if what you said is true (it is not) you still do not have the right to just take what is mine because you think thats the right thing to do. I am a landlord I will be the first to tell you that you cannot dictate how a person should live just because you do not like it.

You're right...it isn't my job to force you to help others. There are so many false notions about government spending.

Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

[quote]
Defense and international security assistance: In 2012, 19 percent of the budget, or $689 billion, paid for defense and security-related international activities. The bulk of the spending in this category reflects the underlying costs of the Department of Defense. The total also includes the cost of supporting operations in Afghanistan and other related activities, described as Overseas Contingency Operations in the budget, funding for which totaled $127 billion in 2012.
Social Security: Another 22 percent of the budget, or $773 billion, paid for Social Security, which provided monthly retirement benefits averaging $1,262 to 36.7 million retired workers in December 2012. Social Security also provided benefits to 2.9 million spouses and children of retired workers, 6.3 million surviving children and spouses of deceased workers, and 10.9 million disabled workers and their eligible dependents in December 2012.
Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP: Three health insurance programs — Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) — together accounted for 21 percent of the budget in 2012, or $732 billion. Nearly two-thirds of this amount, or $472 billion, went to Medicare, which provides health coverage to around 48 million people who are over the age of 65 or have disabilities. The remainder of this category funds Medicaid and CHIP, which in a typical month in 2012 provided health care or long-term care to about 60 million low-income children, parents, elderly people, and people with disabilities. Both Medicaid and CHIP require matching payments from the states.[end quote]

Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
What exactly did Obama say that was so hateful? How is he encouraging hatred, because I'm not seeing it from across the pond here. Even if he is, which I doubt, why respond with more hate? If the right are so morally superior to the rest of mankind, then they should rise above all that and set the standard of moral superiority that they claim they have. Otherwise, they are simply no better, and most likely worse. Jesus certainly didn't act that way did He?
Across the pond? And your opinion matters why? Are you paying to support our US citizens on welfare?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So you are owed a job? You expect to have burger flipper skills and get paid CEO wages? What?
no one is owed a job, but how about enough jobs available so people CAN get one?? Before I left the joke that is known as America, there were people with Master's degrees and many years of experience fighting for $9 per hour jobs with no benefits. It's probably still like that Not exactly the makings of a healthy nation.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:13 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Until the government stops providing welfare to corporations and protections to people who already own capital (with YOUR money), welfare for the poorest in society is justice. Not charity. The corporations and those with capital are getting government handouts with the assumption that they are suppose to be providing jobs for Americans. They are failing to even create enough poverty level jobs to cover everyone, let alone middle class jobs!!

"You are perpetuating your own suffering" applies to you. It also applies to your children. Do you really think they were better off with a parent who was so busy working 4 jobs that he/she wasn't around most of the time? Just to avoid using a program that YOUR tax money has paid for?
The answer is, yes, they were better off. They learned the value of hard work and determination. They learned that they don't have to rely on someone else for survival.

I also believe the government doesn't need to bail out corporations, or provide protection to people who have their own capital. Handouts should be stopped immediately.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,923,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer is, yes, they were better off. They learned the value of hard work and determination. They learned that they don't have to rely on someone else for survival.
You are not relying on other people if you have paid taxes all your life. You are getting your money back when you need it most, as it is intended.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
You are not relying on other people if you have paid taxes all your life. You are getting your money back when you need it most, as it is intended.
Ummm, that's not exactly how taxes work.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
If you can't find a job in the USA, you need to go (back) to college.

In Communism it was against the law to be without a job. No excuse, jobs are there even though you may feel you aren't getting what you think you deserve (that's the story of Capitalism)

Many people ARE going back to school and STILL it's very difficult to find work. When there's more job seekers than available jobs, all the going back to school (IF you can even afford to) won't help. I did that myself-went back to school for pharmacy technician, graduated #1 in my class, but all I could get interviews for were part time $9-10 per hour jobs with no benefits, I'm 48 so I'm sure that played a part in it, not to mention greedy employers. It wasn't until I moved to Australia that I was finally given a fair shake. They have regulations that give the job seeker a fair shake, which is all most anyone wants and expects anyway. What is so wrong with being given a fair chance?? Right now in America, the playing field is so tilted in favor of the employer that it's not even funny. It's not like millions of people decided to become shiftless and lazy. Here in Oz, they know how to take care of their people, why can't the U$, the supposedly "greatest" country in the world-which we all know is not even close to being true.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 PM

I don't get the attitude that just because a small percentage of people getting assistance are abusing the systems, they should abolish it all together. If that's how the righties want to be , then fine. Lets all ban guns because a small percentage of gun owners abuse guns!! Wonder how that would go over?.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I don't get the attitude that just because a small percentage of people getting assistance are abusing the systems, they should abolish it all together. If that's how the righties want to be , then fine. Lets all ban guns because a small percentage of gun owners abuse guns!! Wonder how that would go over?.
Helping you to keep up, but that is what has been proposed and partially enacted in several states.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"you need to go (back) to college." They need to finish high school first.

Nice assumption!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.