Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Awesome post! It explains everything clearly and logically.

I admire you. You exhibit tremendous patience. Patience is something I don't have ample amounts of, particularly with right wingnuts who have almost no ability to use logic.

Again - you just label everyone and you're right patience is not one of your virtues - you sound more like one of the nuts.

The thread has run it's coarse - time to go to some intellectual conversations and discussions.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
Look what I accidentally came across this morning:

Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of poor people say they have been put off applying for or collecting benefits because of the perceived stigma generated by false media depictions of "scroungers" – leading many to forgo essentials such as food and fuel, a new report claims.

Analysis by researchers, led by the University of Kent's social policy team, said polls and focus groups had revealed a quarter of claimants had "delayed or avoided asking for" vital welfare payments because of "misleading news coverage driven by [government] policy".
This "climate of fear" means 1.8 million people have potentially been too scared to seek help they are entitled to from the state. Such is the scale of successive governments' disinformation that the report calls for ministers to abandon briefing journalists ahead of their speeches and asks Whitehall departments to seek corrections "for predictable and repeated media misinterpretations".

The researchers tested the accuracy of recent government statements and found them lacking. The report highlights that ministers – including the chancellor, George Osborne – had claimed there were families taking £100,000 a year in housing benefit. In fact there were only five such families in the UK.
'Scrounger' stigma puts poor people off applying for essential benefits | Society | guardian.co.uk

Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Here you are again - reading into everything what you want to see. As I said in a previous post - I'm a Democrat and have been for the last 37 years - but I have a brain and can make my own decisions - no party will brainwash me like they have you. If anyone disagrees with a partyline stance than you already decided that they are a right winger. There are plenty of Democrats that are sick of the wasteful spending in the govt.
First of all, unlike you implied about me yesterday, even though I even mentioned in this thread that I did not vote for Obama, and like you implied I hate Catholic schools, I am not a Democrat, so no one is brainwashing me to believe anything. Which you also implied, saying something along the lines of, "You just believe what your side tells you to."

Second, I posted at least two different sources showing that the Obama administration has cracked down on welfare fraud that has saved at least $5 billion (and most of this fraud was done by vendors who were making themselves rich off the fraud, not poor people getting benefits!) So no, Democrats are not the problem here. Neither are the "leeches," unless you are referring to the doctors, pharmacists, for profit hospitals, medical device companies, and cell phone companies that are indeed "leeches."

Also, I am really taken aback that someone who will admit that they know a whopping one person abusing the system really thinks they have proof that there is rampant abuse and fraud going on. And then I called you out on this because your story did not add up to the laws, especially considering that New York does home visits to verify if a father is living in a household or not. And you are still stuck on the idea that they are somehow scamming the government! And yet, I have not heard you say you reported them for fraud! I even posted a link to fraud reporting websites to help you out there.

And with this, you even admitted that your father was a delegate for Carter! Do you not realize what privilege you have? Have you even lived in a low income neighborhood in your life? In contrast, I have lived in the poorest areas of the country. I have yet to live in a single middle class neighborhood. In one week, in one inner city neighborhood that I lived in, 7 people were murdered due to gang violence, I was robbed at gun point at an overnight restaurant I was working at (and this restaurant was the go to place for crack hos to pick up their johns!), and I found out that the woman I was renting a room from was selling drugs, so I had to move out. IN ONE WEEK. So for you to think that you have any clue about people who are poor and on welfare more than I do is really absurd.

And I just went outside and saw a lady walking down the street with a cape on. Hep me out here, does that happen in middle class neighborhoods? lol

Last edited by soanchorless; 05-08-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Sp sorry "reply" and again you don't answer the question - I believe you just troll these boards for something to do with your time. And if political party means nothing to you - then why the remarks addressed to Republicans - Conservatives all the time - I believe you're the one with fixations on parties and party lines.

There have been plenty of links all over these forums but you choose not to believe but that's alright. You have your opinion, I have mine.
You know what? I don't care what you "believe"....unless you can prove it with facts. Obviously you cannot do that. There are no links in any threads which prove your opinions to be facts.

The person who claims to own a small business spends 10 to 14 hours a day on cd, and yesterday made a total of 75 posts; my question was when does that person have time to manage a small business.

AGAIN, there are NOT "plenty of links" all over this board which prove YOUR claims. If there are, then YOU find them to support your opinions and post them. It's your responsibility to back up YOUR CLAIMS.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Again - you just label everyone and you're right patience is not one of your virtues - you sound more like one of the nuts.

The thread has run it's coarse - time to go to some intellectual conversations and discussions.
Seriously???

Your posts seem to be doing nothing but "labeling" people and attacking Democrats, even though you "claim" to be a Democrat. Btw, look up the definition of "coarse".....you're using the word incorrectly, which is really funny when you go on to say you want to go to some "intellectual conversations".....LOL

Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
My problem - oh more like your problem as I don't cow tow to party lines and politics. The right wing pays taxes just like everyone else and I don't believe you can prove that they've spent 30 years demonizing, ridiculing and hurting the poor. The only ones propagating the hatred are the ones scamming the system - white,black, immagrant, Rep., Dem whatever.

Again - if you could discuss without so much anger and condemnation - others might just be willing to hear what you have to say - unfortunately, you're like alot in my party - you're always right - even when you're not.
Lots of people in fact are willing and do hear/listen to what this poster has to say. Can you prove they don't? YOU are not the only person in the world.

AGAIN, you're the one bringing up the Democratic Party and bashing. You really should change political parties to one which more accurately reflects your values. But, then, you would lose what you consider your "legitimate" basis for bashing Democrats, wouldn't you?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM

I think I need to point out something else that most middle class, decently educated people just do not get. The difference between me, and most people of the same socioeconomic class, and one reason I'm doing well today and only needed a year to get off of welfare, is that I won the genetic lottery for intelligence. And I'm not saying that to be arrogant, but to address a point. I'm still not a genius by any measure. But considering my socioeconomic status as a child, and the fact that my mom had an 8th grade education and was barely literate (she was asking me to read and write for her by the time I was in first grade), I was at a high risk for not even graduating high school. But instead, I graduated and managed to get through school with little effort. I had test scores that would have, today, qualified me for gifted services. The issue here, is that most poor people have average intelligence. Combine that with a poor home-life, uneducated parents, and a generally poor public school system, and that is what you get: people who do not know how to get out of poverty, do not know how to navigate the system, and people who do not know how to get any smarter about any of it, from eating well to getting a decent paying job.

Despite my intelligence, I still ended up making some poor choices that landed my ass on welfare because of my childhood. Even so, I was able to pull myself out of that situation in a little over a year. There is no way I would have been able to do that if I had not known how to navigate the whole system: how to get the benefits I qualified for (no, I was not working the system, people, I just knew where to look and apply!), how to find jobs that would pull me out of poverty, how to eat healthy foods on a budget, and how to be financially responsible. The poor people of average intelligence, do not know how to do any of these things! How would they? They have never been taught this stuff by their uneducated parents, they have not been taught in public schools, and they have had little to no exposure to educated adults who could give them this information. So for most of those people, they are stuck. And they continue to make bad choices because most of them have mental health issues and are so uneducated that they don't know any better.

And with this, the idea that people are purposely working the system to get all they can is ridiculous. Trust me, most people don't understand all that jibber jabber (just like many of you well educated and middle to upper middle class people on this thread!) or how to use it to their advantage.

So lets continue to call them leeches and demonize them for being held hostage in their socioeconomic class instead of working together to solve this problem, shall we? Sounds reasonable? Not.

Last edited by soanchorless; 05-08-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Hate and resent the poor - equation...person high up the food chain is instructed to whip the slaves...To maintain his position and security....so he whips them. The slave being whipped also has a position in the peeking order..He in turn instructs a slave of a lower rank to whip another slave who is even of a lower than the previous....The lowest slave.... feeling totally insecure needs an object of hate and abuse to feel relevant....so he whips and hates the welfare parasite.......This is the system. As long as we are disloyal to our fellow slaves our masters will always have power....as long as we hate the poor the system runs it self.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Anti-welfare talk is not people who do not want to help the really needy. It is talk against those who play the system in order to live off others when they could go to work and take care of themselves.

I have heard about families that have teens purposely get pregnant so the entire family can live off the food and shelter given to the child the teen births.

This country talks about not being able to give Social Security benefits to someone that has worked as long as they can; but is ready to hand out twice as much money to people that move here from another country and we are paying for their food, shelter, medical and education that American citizens do not have the right to get. That is wrong.

Our country sends money to help those in other countries to murder their babies; but we cannot pay for the medical needs of our wounded soldiers.

I don't care for welfare BS either. I am tired of paying for welfare BS.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM

I sense a lot of suffering on this thread, much of it self inflicted, and part of it, guilt that people are trying to justify illogically. Peace and love be with all of you.

“When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don't blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or less sun. You never blame the lettuce. Yet if we have problems with our friends or family, we blame the other person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will grow well, like the lettuce. Blaming has no positive effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason and argument. That is my experience. No blame, no reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you understand, and you show that you understand, you can love, and the situation will change”

― Thich Nhat Hanh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies