Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
My wife has a small business and sometimes ships things around the country. One time she was sending something to that part of Brooklyn and I told her she'd better insure it as it was likely it wouldn't get there. Sure enough, it got "lost" and was never delivered.
The highest amount of Postal Theft is by postal workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 01:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
If the mailman doesn't show they "miss [their] checks from the state".

Only in America. I think the union clause was "hail", not "hail of bullets".
not only in america in france if you mug me u dont get your mail.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:39 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My grandfather was a postal carrier in Brooklyn (I think actually Brownsville - or Flatbush, where they lived?), and was murdered on the job in 1967. He was actually the FIRST postal worker killed in the line of duty, and some years back my father was contacted for permission to put him on a stamp. Not sure if that ever happened, but we were honored they asked.

Anyway, my point is that it's ALWAYS been a dangerous place to deliver mail! Not sure what the solution is, since I think even the poor in dangerous communities deserve mail delivery... and I imagine even my father would agree, despite the tragedy it caused for his/our family.
Sorry for your loss gizmo. My nephew was gunned down outside a convenience store. That doesn't make me want to close all convenience stores though. Nor does it make me want to ban all weapons. There are bad people everywhere. Need to stop over analyzing these people, and just hang them if found guilty.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:40 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
The highest amount of Postal Theft is by postal workers.
Proof?

(not necessarily doubting you, I just think proof is needed if you're going to throw out such an accusation)

Old 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Sorry for your loss gizmo. My nephew was gunned down outside a convenience store. That doesn't make me want to close all convenience stores though. Nor does it make me want to ban all weapons. There are bad people everywhere. Need to stop over analyzing these people, and just hang them.
Exactly... and thank you. Unfortunately, my grandfather's killers (it was a whole gang) were never brought to justice.

Oh, and I wasn't even alive yet (born in '76), so they also robbed me of ever meeting him. I just like to think they've met up with karma since then, and hopefully in a BAD way.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I can see places where postmen, regardless of their oath, wouldn't go. I wouldn't blame them. I don't think they get hazard pay.

There are some areas that are lost causes. We had one neighborhood in my area that was severely run down, unrmanaged, unkempt and dangerous. Somewhere along the line the good intentions (low income housing) were given up on and everyone involved had washed their hands of the place. It's where pizza delivery dared not go. Eventually it was razed and new construction (higher end low income housing...wth? haha) went up. Unless it is managed by someone who sits on it 24/7 the same thing will happen I'm sure.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
This reminds me of Goodfellas when Paulie and the boys stuck the postman's head in the oven after beating him up for delivering that truancy notice.

That was a true story, and ironically, also in Brownsville.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Sort of off track. I read about a doctor serving his internship in London (this was before WW2) and at times he had to make house calls (obviously a long time ago). In the worst part of the city. So bad that the police wouldn't go there after midnight. All he had was his distinctive doctors bag that everyone knew and recognized. He said he went thru some really scary places late at night, people always backed off and let him pass without any problems.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can see places where postmen, regardless of their oath, wouldn't go. I wouldn't blame them. I don't think they get hazard pay.
When I delivered pizza in Stockton (look it up, for those outside of CA), we had a giant X through the worst part of town - and if anyone from that neighborhood called for delivery, we'd tell them "we don't service your area, so it will be pick-up only." But that was pizza, which isn't exactly a necessity in life... okay, maybe sometimes it is. Mail service, on the other hand, should be available to everyone if possible. Perhaps hazard pay isn't such a bad idea? Hmmm.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They should just hold the mail at the Post Office and residents can pick it up there.

Postal workers too scared to deliver mail in crime-ridden Brooklyn neighborhood, Brownsville - NYPOST.com
Good. If they want their mail, let them pick it up at the post office.

Mail delivery is a priveledge, not a right. If you or your neighbors are threatening the mail man, you probably do not deserve the convenience of having at home mail delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies