Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why don't we just arm the postal workers. Problem solved.

After all, the government is allowing criminals to have guns by not enacting Universal background checks.
BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAA. Another whiny person declaring background checks will resolve everything.

As soon as you can show me a single solitary licensed gun dealer selling guns in a store, online, or at a gun show, that is selling a gun without performing the REQUIRED background check, then you may have something there.

However since anywhere and everywhere a licensed dealer sells a gun in the United States already requires a background check, how will requiring something, ALREADY required change things? I am really interested in your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAA. Another whiny person declaring background checks will resolve everything.

As soon as you can show me a single solitary licensed gun dealer selling guns in a store, online, or at a gun show, that is selling a gun without performing the REQUIRED background check, then you may have something there.

However since anywhere and everywhere a licensed dealer sells a gun in the United States already requires a background check, how will requiring something, ALREADY required change things? I am really interested in your response.
It would include private gun sales as well.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
When I delivered pizza in Stockton (look it up, for those outside of CA), we had a giant X through the worst part of town - and if anyone from that neighborhood called for delivery, we'd tell them "we don't service your area, so it will be pick-up only." But that was pizza, which isn't exactly a necessity in life... okay, maybe sometimes it is. Mail service, on the other hand, should be available to everyone if possible. Perhaps hazard pay isn't such a bad idea? Hmmm.
In Annapolis, MD after several pizza delivery people were held up in gov't housing projects, and nary 1 witness would open the mouth, the pizza store said they would not deliver in those areas anymore.

Of course the local Alderman cried racism, even though several of the delivery people were black.

The city gov't said that if they did business in the city they HAD to deliver EVERYWHERE in the city.

Many closed up and mover outside the city. Others quit delivery entirely.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I think it is sort of a right, as it's a tax-funded public service - unless you personally violated their guidelines for "usage" (similar to the rules at a library). So what if YOU didn't threaten anyone, but just happen to live in a bad neighborhood? Is it fair that some elderly woman can't get her prescription in the mail, because her neighbor is a thug? I don't think so.
"I think it is sort of a right" Sorry but I disagree. There were MANY areas of the country where they didn't have home delivery. The local Post Office was located in the General Store and did NOT deliver.

The ONLY thing the constitution says is. " To establish Post Offices and Post roads". Period

Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Oh, for f sakes... I'm actually an independent, but of course everything is partisan BS to "you righties."

Interesting how the granddaughter of a MURDERED postman is saying they should still get service, while the rest of you are looking to punish a whole community for the bad apples. And they wonder why the rich keep getting richer, while the poor keep getting poorer? This is a big part of what's wrong with our country, and the elitist attitude is really getting on my nerves - and that also coming from the daughter of a "1%-er," ironically enough. Anyway, I've said my peace, so you continue to argue among yourself and demonize the poor... that is what you righties do best, isn't it?
Maybe the COMMUNITY should get together and get RID of the bad apples if they want their mail delivered so much.

the life of 1 postman is worth a whole lot more then someone getting their mail.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedstuyresident View Post
Everyone bashing republicans or people who sympathize with the postal workers appear to live in California - not New York. No one in this thread who has criticized the postal service, or sympathizers with the postal workers, lives in Brownsville, or within even 1 mile of Brownsville.

This speaks volumes.

There is a clear cut difference between these three categories that anyone who actually lives in Brooklyn & visits other neighborhood is familiar with.

a) poor people trying to better themselves

b) poor people not trying to better themselves, but keeping to themselves/being occasionally annoying

c) poor people who stab and shoot at each other in record breaking numbers without provocation

I put bushwick in A, bed stuy in B, and brownsville in C. Visit each neighborhood. People generalize so much. "black neighborhood" this, "poor neighborhood" that, there's so much more to it. It's not about racism, prejudice, or disdain for the lower class. It is about genuine concern for one's safety when dealing with specific buildings.

It's 2013. It is clear by now that gentrification & the Giuliani era forget Brownsville.
WOW Giuliani hasn't been mayor since , what 2001, and you want to blame him? THIS speaks volumes!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
WOW Giuliani hasn't been mayor since , what 2001, and you want to blame him? THIS speaks volumes!
Giuliani was the one that took some serious steps to clean up the city in the sense of crime and drugs. He often gets mentioned because of this. Bloomberg has been the one that has focused more of business and greenspace, and has left the issues of crime to be dealt with from the police department and Ray Kelly.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Giuliani was the one that took some serious steps to clean up the city in the sense of crime and drugs. He often gets mentioned because of this. Bloomberg has been the one that has focused more of business and greenspace, and has left the issues of crime to be dealt with from the police department and Ray Kelly.
I know. But the fact that he is being blamed is very lame since there have been how many mayor since he left office? Why aren't THEY being blamed?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I know. But the fact that he is being blamed is very lame since there have been how many mayor since he left office? Why aren't THEY being blamed?
"I know. But the fact that he is being blamed is very lame since there have been how many mayor since he left office? Why aren't THEY being blamed?[/quote]"

This post is a correction in my previous post.

I know. But the fact that he is being blamed is very lame since there have been how many mayors since he left office? Why aren't THEY being blamed?[/quote]

Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Brownsville has always been the worst neighborhood, probably in the city. A lot of people talk about the South Bronx being bad, but I do not hear about as much foolish things happening out of the South Bronx these days as much. Also many people outside of New York talk as if Bed-Stuy is the worst, these people do not know jack. I have been telling people for years Brownsville is MUCH more off than Bed-Stuy. I was raised in Bed-Stuy/Clinton Hill area and Brownsville is one of the most depressing places I have EVER seen.
I lived in the South Bronx right near Yankee Stadium it definitely had its issues but nothing ever happened to me and I didn't see anything way out of line. I never been to Brownsville does the subway even go out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies