Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Looks to me they are not practicing what Jesus said.....thou shall not kill, these people can't even read so who exactly over their is telling them lies. Isn't there more voodoo going on with Christianity added in?
Looks to me that learning about Jesus caused this.

Quote:
Missionaries have commonly responded [to witchcraft accusations] in two ways, said [Robert] Priest [professor of missions and intercultural studies at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School]. The power of witches to harm others is dismissed as superstition, but this seldom persuades local Christians to abandon the concept; or the reality of witchcraft is endorsed by missionaries not wanting to be “post-Enlightenment rationalists” with a non-biblical skepticism of spiritual warfare.

The result is that traditional witch ideas are fused with Christian theology, which obscures the social consequences:
Did Missionaries Trigger the Witch-Hunts?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We should ship them a bunch of those ridiculous "COEXIST" bumper stickers!
Not sure camels can wear them well .....they sure do fit on subaru's and electric cars though!
The bumper sticker and peace sign are every where, and those are the grouchiest people..... go figure!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Ever hear of Rite-Aid or Walgreen......they sell birth control there also. The church is not peoples BC provider.
I never heard of birth control being dispensed at a church.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Can't recall ever reading anything about not taking a child to a doctor or beating a child in the New Testament.

Matthew 1 NIV - The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah - Bible Gateway
I guess the Old Testament is no longer considered part of the Christian bible/faith then.

The following quotations come from the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible:

Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."
Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."
Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."
Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."
Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Shoel)."
Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."

Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Except Christianity
Your "Christian" friends posting here have already ousted the Old Testament. Just a matter of time and the New Testament will be obsolete as well.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Looks to me that learning about Jesus caused this.

Did Missionaries Trigger the Witch-Hunts?
God tells us many will come in His name and defile His name. From the article:

Stabell said. "If you dig deeper, there's an undertone of darkness, of evil, even when people ostensibly use the same powers for supposedly good things. It becomes very ambiguous."
Cultural background matters. Stabell, who was raised in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and worked for 15 years there, sees witchcraft accusations as often rooted in psychological problems. His African Christian friends interpret them as evil spiritual powers.
"We need to develop a fuller understanding and theology of what sin has done in the world, whether in the West or in Africa," Stabell said.

What Christians are to do: Just how many people believe prostitution is healthy for the land?

Here's one most of you don't refer to.....
Lev. 19:26 "`Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it. "`Do not practice divination or sorcery. "`Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard [similar to the men from the pagan nations]. "`Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."`Do not degrade your daughter by making her a prostitute, or the land will turn to prostitution and be filled with wickedness."`Observe my Sabbaths and have reverence for my sanctuary. I am the LORD."`Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God. Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD.

Heres another God makes it VERY clear magic is not of HIM:

Lev. 20:1 The LORD said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites: `Any Israelite or any alien living in Israel who gives any of his children to Molech must be put to death. The people of the community are to stone him. I will set my face against that man and I will cut him off from his people; for by giving his children to Molech, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name. If the people of the community close their eyes when that man gives one of his children to Molech and they fail to put him to death.I will set my face against that man and his family and will cut off from their people both him and all who follow him in prostituting themselves to Molech. "`I will set my face against the person who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute himself by following them, and I will cut him off from his people. "`Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the LORD your God.
Lev. 20:26 You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Your "Christian" friends posting here have already ousted the Old Testament. Just a matter of time and the New Testament will be obsolete as well.
It's not ousted.......... You really need to stop trolling or at least get your facts straight.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I never heard of birth control being dispensed at a church.
You people who can't afford your own BC want the Catholic Church to pay for them.....whats up with that?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I guess the Old Testament is no longer considered part of the Christian bible/faith then.
The following quotations come from the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible:
Hopefully this will give you a better understanding.....I can tell when you studied it you were looking to not believe.

This is basic Bible 101:
Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."
The rod is discipline.....not to hard to understand for some of us.
Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."
Discipline your son, for there is hope; do not set your heart on putting him to death.
Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."
Again the rod is discipline
Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."
Again if you discipline your child he will not get hurt or in danger.
Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."
Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul...An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression."

Many well-intentioned Christians take these passages and others like them to mean that God is specifically instructing parents to spank children when they misbehave; further, that these spankings should be administered with variations on the general theme of “the rod”: belts, hickory switches, paddles, and the like. This misinterpretation is understandable, but reflects a wrongful application of the principles of Biblical exegesis, or critical interpretation and analysis.

As is especially the case with the Old Testament, any given word or phrase in Scripture might have various meanings which are revealed by the context in which word or phrase is used. In other words, setting often determines meaning. Therefore, arriving at a proper understanding of any Scriptural term requires that the seeker carefully examine how that term is used in various contexts across the whole of Scripture, with an eye for contextual similarities.

Applying this formula to the word rod one discovers two distinct usages: the rod and a rod. The difference may seem slight, but in fact the preceding article—whether the or a—determines meaning. The rod is always metaphorical, as in Lamentations 3:1—“I am the man who has seen affliction by the rod of his wrath.” On the other hand, a rod is always with reference to a concrete object—a straight stick that might have been used as a tool of measurement (1Sa 17:7, Rev. 21:16), a symbol of authority (Is. 14:5), or a staff used in herding sheep (Lev. 27:32).

In every case, when the word rod is used with reference to the training or discipline of children, it is preceded by the article the, connoting that the usage is metaphorical. To understand it otherwise results in irreconcilable confusion. For example, in Exodus (21:20), The Lord specifies that if a man beats his male or female slave with a rod, and the slave dies as a direct result, the man must be punished.
http://www.parentingbythebook.com/Proverbs-1324.html

Last edited by wildflower82; 05-06-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,503,740 times
Quote:

That is what you said you did. You rejected religion for science. I don't see any reason why a person cannot have both. No problems there. Some people cannot give up a sin so they want to jettison the bible for science but that is another issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies